Need Advice! (non-weight related)

Options
keyariloses
keyariloses Posts: 74 Member
Hi everyone. So my supervisor is pregnant and due at the beginning of March 2012. It is only me and her that work in the office at the apartment complex I work for and she is planning on taking the whole month of march off to be with the baby. I am graduating college this November and plan to find another job so that I may work in my career field. I also live on the property I work for and my husband and I plan on moving when our lease is up at the end of february. That is around the time I would like to have another job because once I quit working at my current job, I only have 7 days to move off property so I want to do it altogether.

I am caught between the two because I don't want to leave my supervisor hanging by putting in a two week notice right before she goes on maternity leave to be with the baby but my husband is saying we are really going to need the extra money I get from my new job due to the fact that we are going to be moving into a house. I agree that I really need to be making more than what I do now but my supervisor has been so good to me and is very kind and nice. I am ready to start working in my career field I just don't know if I should go in March or not. My husband is saying our family should come first and I should have to do what is best for us.

Any advice on what I should do? I'm at a loss.

Replies

• Sagelit
    Sagelit Posts: 78
    Options
    I would tell her now that that is your plan. Lots of notice means she can start looking before you've "officially" given your notice and can have someone in to train for your job before you're actually gone.
  • DanyelePalmer
    Options
    Personally, i would do what is best for my family. I understand that you have a good relationship with your boss- but she is just that, your boss. As long as you give your 2 weeks notice you have done the respectable thing. Go with your gut :) Good luck...
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    obviously your family should come first, but it's never a good idea to burn bridges.......
  • peggles48
    Options
    I agree with Sagelit
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    Id talk to her about your plans as well now. It gives her more than enough time to find someone else so you won't be leaving her hanging. She'll understand. You can't knock someone for wanting to make more money at another job.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I would tell her now that that is your plan. Lots of notice means she can start looking before you've "officially" given your notice and can have someone in to train for your job before you're actually gone.

I agree with this one, especially if you have a good relationship with your boss. Also, give her as much official notice as you can if it's coming up on February. You're graduating in November, so it's entirely possible you'll find a job long before February, as long as you start looking soon (ideally, start looking before you graduate and make sure potential employers know that you will be graduation soon, but haven't quite yet).
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Id talk to her about your plans as well now. It gives her more than enough time to find someone else so you won't be leaving her hanging. She'll understand. You can't knock someone for wanting to make more money at another job.

This, not to mention mot people understand "this is a part time job to help make ends meet while I'm in college" and that after you graduate, you probably won't be around much longer.
  • keyariloses
    keyariloses Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will let her know