Hamstrings and Things Above Them

Options
I am having no problems building my thigh muscles. In fact, I suddenly have muscles on the outside of my thighs which I've never had before. Unfortunately, I'm a bit soft in the hamstring and butt region. I've done steps, walked, jogged, and done leg lifts. What else can I do?

Replies

• jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Squats, leg press, lunges...
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Straight leg deadlifts will kill your hamstrings!
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Leg curls
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    dead lifts.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Do the leg press weight machine at the gym, as well as some squats and lunges. I can't say you'll suddenly have a rock hard butt, but you will definitely strengthen the glutes with those!!
  • KBomar2
    KBomar2 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Straight leg deadlifts will kill your hamstrings!

I agree and squats and lunges help too!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

This ^^^^ Squats and lunges with dumbells 5 -10lbs (to start)

Lots of them. If you can walk the next day you didn't do enough
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    Squats, just make sure your knee doesn't go over the toe. Also hill climbing it great for the hamstrings and bottom.
  • amybus
    amybus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Apparently pull weeds for a few hours...mine are killing me!
  • Delyla07
    Delyla07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When your doing squats make sure to sit back and use your heels to push up, curling your toes up. You'll feel it instantly in you hamstrings and tones the gluts. Also if your working out at the gym grab a bosu ball and do squats with them, you put one foot on the bosu ball and the other on the ground, you'll definatly feel it. I learned that one in a rock bottom class I took!
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options

This!! Plus hamstring curls, deadlifts. Make sure you push thru your heel to feel it in your butt and hamstrings. :-)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Squats are a great all round exercise. They work your legs really well. Going heavy with these when you have the form down will build strength in my than just your legs.

Deadlifts are another great all round exercise. Be careful with form on this as well, especially the straight legged version. That will build you glutes and hamstrings as well.

Leg presses are ok, but the previous two exercises will do a much better job for you when you get the form down.

Just so you know both Squats and Deadlifts strengthen your core and various stabilizer muscles as well which is why they are so good. You get more bang for your buck.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i just learned a really good move at my gym - i looked for it online but i couldn't find a demonstration so i'll try to describe it - it's one of the best moves i've seen!

you need to be on a non-carpeted surface, and you'll need a paper plate or a small towel and a pair of dumbells (optional).

1. stand, holding both dumbells at chest height, with your feet side by side and your right foot on the paper plate.
    2. slide your right foot back so that you are in a lunge position while reaching the dumbells down to set them on the floor in front of your left foot
    3. return to an upright standing position. this should really engage your left leg hamstrings since you are letting your right foot slide on the plate.
    4. slide your right foot back into a lunge again, this time picking up the dumbells.
    5. return to a standing postion with dumbells at chest height.

this sequence would count as one rep. i would start with five or six on one leg and then switch to the other.

seriously, one of the coolest moves i've seen - i'm trying to use it every other day.

best of luck to you!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Reverse lunges target mine more than the standard ones. That and hill sprints.