Race nutrition

Options
On sunday I'm doing my first Triathlon. Yay! I dont generally use Nutritional supplements during training mostly because up to this point I didn't find it necessary but I've been told I need to make sure I do during the Tri.

So I'm looking for input from other Racers, Cyclists, or Triathletes.

Gu, Hammer Gels, Clif shots, Shot blocks, What do you use ? Why? What should I avoid? Is something nasty? Tell me what you know.

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    there's a old saying "nothing new on race day"

be very wary about trying something you've never used before
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I recommend trying them during training for your next race - see what works best for YOU and your stomach. Everyone has their own preferences; I personally love Hammer Gel, but can also tolerate certain flavors of Gu and Shot Bloks. I don't like Clif Shots or Power Bar Gel. It's all individual.

If you haven't done it during training, don't try it on race day. Stick with what you've been doing and try it for next time. The last thing you want is to run into a stomach issue during the bike or run and have it mess up your race experience.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    On sunday I'm doing my first Triathlon. Yay! I dont generally use Nutritional supplements during training mostly because up to this point I didn't find it necessary but I've been told I need to make sure I do during the Tri.

So I'm looking for input from other Racers, Cyclists, or Triathletes.

Gu, Hammer Gels, Clif shots, Shot blocks, What do you use ? Why? What should I avoid? Is something nasty? Tell me what you know.

Have you tried the Honey Stinger waffles? Fantastic!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I am aware of not trying new things I know its risky. I have run other races just never a tri. So Im familiar with how my stomach tends to handle things. I am hoping to try them on Friday with a bike or run. Not Ideal but I have a strong stomach and things dont usually bother me too much
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I personally find gels to be completely revolting.....Something about the gooey texture just disturbs me!

I find that the Sports Energy beans (made by Jelly Belly) work pretty well, and they're easy to stomach during a race.

But honestly, you can get by with just REGULAR jelly beans, ju jubes, gummy bears, etc. Any type of sugar, really! And then for carbs I'd go with a granola bar, maybe?

But as everyone has said, make sure that you try it all out PRIOR TO RACE DAY, to be sure that it agrees with your stomach, and you won't be rushing to the port-a-potty during the middle of your race!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first Tri in Oct. I hear that it's important to hydrate and fuel during the race, but I'm only doing a sprint so I really don't think anything beyond gatorade is going to be needed. Everything that I read says to do what you do during training. When I really start doing bricks then I'll see what I need. I don't think it'd behoove you to try something new on race day.
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I like the shot blocks, and the energy jelly beans are good.

Jolly ranchers are also good to get the sugars going while keeping ur mouth moist.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am aware of not trying new things I know its risky. I have run other races just never a tri. So Im familiar with how my stomach tends to handle things. I am hoping to try them on Friday with a bike or run. Not Ideal but I have a strong stomach and things dont usually bother me too much

Ahh, well that changes things - we didn't know that based on your original post. :) Again, it's all individual. You may like gels, you may like chews.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Depending on the length of your race, you may not have to worry about it too much. I have done 2 1/2 marathons and 3 sprint triathlons on nothing more than a 5 Hour Energy before and water during. I know I'm going to need to up that for my Olympic distance tri, but if you're doing a race that's 2ish hours or less, don't stress about it. Oh, I did pick up a packet of GU on my second 13.1 - ate it, didn't really feel any difference, but no issues.

So, yeah - if you haven't tried anything yet, probably don't start now, but incorporate different options into your longer training segments going forward!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I second the "nothing new on race day". Have water or your normal sports drink on your bike and you should need anything else. If it's a sprint distance, water is all you need.

For longer races, I like Science In Sport gels as they're isotonic so you don't have to glug down water every time you take one.
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    as stated if its a short race no need, and i wish you the best if you decide to use something new. I have known many that say the same thing about strong stomachs only to find out sports drinks bother them when there body is under stress because they trained on nothing but water. As stated if its short no need do to anything different. I will venture to guess though that if you didnt need anything during training your not going to need anything on race day.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    Yay for doing a triathlon!!! I love that no matter how long or short they are you feel like a rock star when you cross the finish line!. You don't say what distance you are competing in your upcoming race. You definitely want to eat something before your race that you have tried and liked previously pre-workout. Nothing new...NOTHING NEW!! on race day. As a rule of thumb, if your race is a sprint, you don't need anything during except water. If you are expecting to be on the course for over 2.5 hours, make a plan for at least a sports drink/ electrolyte replacecment. An iron distance or half iron distance will mess you up if you a) don't take in enough calories or b) eat stuff you haven't tried previously when you train and it does not agree with you. If you are training for a long bike, note that your body responds completely differently at mile 70 than at mile 20. Test it out first. :) In any race, water-water-water!

There are lots of tips and suggestions for specific race nutrition if you google.

Great luck in your race. Don't forget to have a ridiculously great time!!!!!
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi there - That's so great that you're doing your first triathlon. I would agree wholeheartedly with the folks who say nothing new on race day. Even if you've done some other kinds of races with certain types of nutrition, I would still recommend testing out any new food things in some kind of scenario similar to your race.

I have done a few half Ironman distance races as well as sprints and Olympic distance. And preferences for different gels and things are usually just based upon each person's trial and error, what works, what doesn't, etc. You did not say what distance race you are doing so I will just offer up some general suggestions.

Typically, for the half Ironman distance I take a gel right before the swim. Then when I get on my bike I have food in my bento box and gels taped to my bike frame. I try to eat something, alternating between gels and real food such as Clif bars, every 45 minutes to one hour. This keeps my blood sugar and glycogen levels pretty consistent. Plus, you can't really eat any sold food once you start the run portion. I also hydrate using some kind of sports drink on the bike and try to use only water and gels during the run portion.

My personal preference for gels is Clif Shots or Hammer Gel. I do not at all like the Power Gel. But, again, that's really just personal taste, I know people who do like them. I also like the shot blocks sort sorts of things as they are a bit more like food than the gels.

Again, it's all based upon personal preference. But the general idea is to keep your glycogen pumped up so you don't bonk and run out of steam during the race. So definitely give some things a try in some kind of training scenario.

Good luck. You're gonna be hooked!

Di
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a sprint, you really don't have to get all weird with supplements. I eat a banana with peanut butter at home and drink a 32 oz gatorade on the way to the event. Keep two water bottles on my bike.
    I 'tried something new" my last race - a Stinger Waffle a friend insisted I try. I nearly choked to death on it at transition it was so sugary. LOL
    Also, off topic, but I usually make a kick *kitten* "Race Day" CD mix that I can blast in my car in the days immediately preceeding the race to psyche myself up.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Cliff Shot Blox (strawberry) FTW.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    If this is a sprint distance I would have a good breakfast at least 2-3 hrs before the start of the race. Then take a gel 15 mins before starting the swim, then drink a 16oz bottle of gatorade on the bike. See how you feel on the run but I wouldn't drink anything other than water on the run.

...and as others have said, don't try anything new on race day. Heck, go for a bike ride today and try drinking some gatorade and see how you feel.

Also, make sure you hydrate well the day before, and morning off the race. I did the mistake once of not doing that and my performance totally sucked for the race.
  • mentalbeat
    mentalbeat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Honey Stinger waffles? Fantastic!
    [/quote]

I use these too, if they're good enough for lance..........

I also use the S.I.S range GO and REGO and PSP22
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I am running my fourth marathon this Fall. If you are testing it out beforehand, and not trying it for the first time on race day, I might recommend Gu (vanilla is best), Gatorade (love Fierce Grape) and that's about all. I like Sports Beans too but I dont care for eating them WHILE running. I use them beforehand on long runs though.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    gels are like trying to swallow a loogie while running, disgusting! And I don't care for the taste either. I've tried shot blocks and jelly beans, both work well for me :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    For Hydration I use Water and NUUN regularly I also have used Powerade zero. I always follow certain routines for race days I generally eat a very mild breakfast Oatmeal and some fruit always 2-3 hours before.

Nuun is what I will use for Hydration on the Bike and only what is offered on course for the run, likely water. Ill be hydrating before race day and carb loading Friday and eat clean on sat with some pasta again Sat night.

It is a sprint. 500/15.5/3.1 and It was suggested to do one GU or Gel 20 min before the swim and after the first 5 miles on the bike and then one at T2.

I trust this persons judgement as they are not new to tri and have finished IM Cozumel last year and a few other Iron distances as well in the Rev3 series. I just want to be top of my game and will definitely test some out tonight and tomorrow.