Cutting out meat in my diet??

Options
Is it a good idea or no? ive heard alot of people that are nessacarily (sp??) vegetarians, but when they were trying to lose
weight they said cutting out meat was how they were able to lose the pounds. i usually eat meat with my dinner, even if im just trying to have a salad, i put little chunks of chicken in there. should i just completely stop eating it for awhile? =/

Replies

• jillrules169
    jillrules169 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    sorry. i meant ARENT vegetarians :)
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much a personal choice... I lost weight and I eat some form of meat everyday.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You have to do what works for you.
    I'd say salad dressing would be worse than the chicken.

I haven't eaten chicken in over 15 years. I can get just as fat not eating meat.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    That's not really a decision to be made by random strangers on the internet. If it's something you WANT TO do, then just make sure you incorporate non-meat sources of protein (soy products, different kinds of dairy, beans and legumes, etc.) and probably take an iron supplement as well.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have increased my meat and protein and limit my carbs. I finally broke a plateau. BTW, cows are vegetarians:bigsmile:
  • MartiTennisMom
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, and would never go back, but you really do have to be careful about finding other protein sources. If you don't mind the chicken, it's really not that bad for you-low fat, high protein... Sometimes I think life would be much easier if I ate chicken.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    WHY??? Oh my I couldn't live without my lean proteins.
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    i started incorporating more meat into my diet and I have actually lost more weight that way... it keeps me satiated for way longer. I really just think balance is key- make sure you are eating veggies and getting a good source of protein during your meals.

Becoming a vegetarian just to drop weight makes no sense...I know a lot of fat vegetarians lol.
  • calorie712
    Options
    You'd be better off cutting out carbs and fatty stuff. Protein should be your largest side of the protein-fat-carb triangle. Check out the dukan diet, www.dukandiet.com.
  • adventuring
    Options
    I was already overweight when I only ate seafood, but I gained even more weight after I started eating other types of meat. Take that as you will. I'm sure if you are sensible about eating meat, you can lose at the same rate as you would without eating it, though there are other health benefits to vegetarianism. It's a personal choice that nobody can really make for you.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    It's a personal thing .... you will have to decide what you think about meat and why you eat it.

Just know that you can get plenty of protein without eating meat.

Do some research (NOT here), watch some shows, read some books.

You don't just stop eating something on a whim....

I would suggest that you watch Food Inc. if you truly want to never eat meat again.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    WHY would you cut out tasty bacony goodness!?? WHY??? *LOL*
  • AliciaJade93
    AliciaJade93 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you're going to cut it out forever maybe? cause if you cut it out now then bring it back when you get to your UGW then you might gain some weight back that you don't really want? Chicken is a very good lean meat so i don't see why you should cut it out, maybe lessen the portions?

Overall I'd say it's up to you :)
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    This is a personal choice you have to make. But one thing I did was cut out red meat and eat more chicken, turkey and fish. In fact, I have pretty much replaced ground turkey for and type of hamburger meat. Chicken and turkey are leaner meats and have more protein.

Just curious, why do you necessarily want to cut out meat from your diet?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Is it a good idea or no? ive heard alot of people that are nessacarily (sp??) vegetarians, but when they were trying to lose
    weight they said cutting out meat was how they were able to lose the pounds. i usually eat meat with my dinner, even if im just trying to have a salad, i put little chunks of chicken in there. should i just completely stop eating it for awhile? =/

I cut back significantly on meat, and it really does help keep the calories and fat lower. You don't have to cut it out, but start paying SUPER close attention to portion size. 6oz of chicken is the size of 2 decks of cards, etc

I try to eat meat-free at least 2 days a week. Incorporate grain and bean dishes. You should know that the volume of vegetables and grain you need to eat to feel full is a LOT more than meat. Meat is just more filling. I end up eating a CUP of brown rice with a 1/2 cup of black beans and a CUP of steamed veggies to complete a meal.

Great protein options are eggs, beans (lentils, black beans), quinoa, farro, whole wheat cous cous, brown rice, occasional soy products (but avoid overly processed meat substitutes), and hearty whole grain pastas. Enjoy!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    It is definitely a personal choice, but if you do not want to give meat up, you might consider leaner cuts of meats. I've increased my protein and cut back on my fat intake at the same time.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Fats and proteins are very important to the proper function of the human body. It is not recommended to cut out unless you are educated in getting protein and fats in your eating plan through other sources.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    If it's just to loose weight then no I wouldn't cut it out, cut out grains they are mch less beneficial than meat and are calorie dense when you look at there nutrient profile. Cut grains completely for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • jtoz88
    jtoz88 Posts: 9
    Options
    People debate whether or not we "need" meat, but I think all in all it's a personal choice. There are certainly enough food sources out there that offer all the same benefits that you get from meat. I know a lot of vegans who are very healthy with a varied diet and supplements.

Personally for me, I'm not a huge meat eater, so it's much easier to just watch my portions. I mainly stick to poultry and fish, but every once in a while I crave a good burger. What I've found even *before* starting MFP is that my fat intake was always lower than recommended, but I've made up for it by using healthier oils in salads rather than heavy dressings.

You'll find what works for you. A lot of it is experimentation. I don't think there's a universal way of doing things, and your body will definitely tell you when you're doing right.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    You have to do what you feel is best for yourself. But for me, I love bacon and burgers and chicken way to much to cut them. The one thing that will never work for me is feeling restricted. As soon as I know I cant have something I want it more than ever. For me this is a lifestyle change. I'm not trying to do it super fast or cut half the things I love out of my diet.
    I like that I can see what I eat and better plan my day. When I finally get to my goal weight I want to have learned how to properly plan normal meals for my normal day. I don't want to gain my weight back again because I start to eat the old things that I used to eat.
    For example: If I cut out steaks from my life until I reach my goal and then start eating grilled steaks again I wont have the proper knowledge as to how much steak to eat or what a portion size should be. I want to make this a a way of life for myself and my family. I want to eat the foods that they do and not feel guilty. I want ability to know that if i'm out for a meal or in my home for a meal that I have the knowledge of how much to eat and to know that I'm not going to freak out and gain 10lbs from eating one steak or chicken breast.