Routines for Legs?

Options
Okay so I know of many workouts that incorporate weights and upper body training, but what is a really good one for lower body without the use of weights?? I ask because I have an upper body injury and can't do any over the shoulder activities... I really want to work on my legs and tush anyway, so does anyone have any ideas? I can't run either so I do power walking and stuff, but that gets very boring. I would love a DVD set or something that would help.Thanks for any help ladies!!

BTW: I just received the Firm Express DVD set, has anyone out there ever tried it?? I have my hopes up for it. :)

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Could you squat and deadlift? Otherwise you could do body weight squats. hundredpushups.com has a squat program on there.
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Lunges and squats (2 different squats) work for me. You will be sore for sure when you get started...
  • BreeZeeMomma
    BreeZeeMomma Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i have been using a dual cardio trainer-its pretty much an elliptical with a seat so you can either do standard elliptical or as an exercise bike. i know the elliptical would prolly not work for you with your injury, but an exercise bike, where you do really have to hang on or anything, can really work out your lower body. i find biking and walking give me the best lower body results. in the past 2 months i have lost nearly nearly 20 inches on from my waist down thanks to walking, biking and swimming.

HTH and good luck!
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are awesome!
  • MandyNellPark
    MandyNellPark Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    P 90X!!!!
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Plyometrics.... the routie I do is as follows:

Superset the follow for 3-4 sets of 10 reps each:

Jump Squats/Jumping Lunges/.Tuck Jump

Followed by 3 sets of 30 reps for side step shuffle over a tall box... for this you stand to the side of the box, put your inside foot on the box and push yourself over the box the other side. Everytime across is 1 rep. I then finish with a combination of 10 hills or stair sprints which are good for the booty and 2-3 50m sprints.
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    if you have an iphone, download the Nike Training App.. they have targeted workouts, i love the one for legs. I have a back injury, so i modify the jumping parts. I substitute in lunges and squats which have really toned my legs. squats and lunges are also awesome for getting your heart-rate up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Squats are king. Lunges for glutes and hamstrings. Step ups are good too.
  • Emeraude1983
    Emeraude1983 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges!!!!! There's all kinds for every level of fitness. Once you've mastered all the different kinds you can move on to jumping them... yay plyometrics! It will burn so good and your butt will thank you for it :)
  • Q9S7
    Q9S7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm not too familiar with lower body bodyweight excercises, however, my two cents would be the incorporation of supersets/giant sets/ and circuit training. This should keep your HR elevated and sufficiently fatigue your muscles in an efficient manner. An example would be...

20-25 single leg calf raises (done on the edge of stairs, platform etc)
    20-25 deep lunges (each leg/50 in a row)
    20-25 Bodyweight Squats
    15-20 Step ups (knee to chest)
    60 second wall sit
    Rest 30-60 seconds
    Repeat..as many times as youd like :)

Again, this is just an example..

As with most excercises, by varying the positioning of your body/limbs etc, you can focus on stimulatiing different areas of the muscles being used.

I would also suggest yoga as a lower body workout. Some of the low lunge/warrior poses really get a static burn going!

Best of luck!
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    squats, jump squats, lunges, walking lunges, jump lunges. Of course depending on how good of shape youre in you may have to work your way up to the jump squats or jump lunges. There isnt a class I take that doesnt incorporate some or all of these and I am amazed at how much stronger my legs are.