The Price for being born - Natural birth or C-Sections

Options
1235»

Replies

• AJay513
    AJay513 Posts: 187
    Options
    Another thing I found interesting: Baby really doesn’t need to be suctioned with the bulb syringe. Many times Drs or nurses sick that bulb syringe & it hurts baby’s mouth & jaw. Therefore, baby doesn’t latch on properly if mom tries to breastfeed. Then they bottle feed :(
    What’s best is no suction (obviously not in extreme situation) baby will still cry (you’ll hear gargling) and will get rid of the sections & then mom needs to breastfeed right away & the sucking will help baby swallow all that & activate good sucking ;)
  • AJay513
    AJay513 Posts: 187
    Options
    I have three children (17, 13, 10). They were all born at home. It was the most exhilarating, empowering thing I have ever done!! (and my labors were 36, 25, 30 hours respectively) Having said that, it was for ME.

That's awesome :)
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Do you mean The Business of Being Born by Ricki Lake?

They show this documentary to us in nursing school when we take OB since the majority of our teachers are midwives, lol.

It was so surprising and eye opening to me! I’m not a mom either but I sure learned a lot of information in that OB class & how I wanna have my future children. lol.

That documentary is older so I know the statistics have changed; I believe it is 1 in 3 births are via C-Section now. That’s just crazy! They made a good point by saying OBGYNs are good surgeons...but they have no idea about child birth & you have to trust a woman’s body much more.
    It’s sad to learn how often Drs use vacuums, episiotomy and c-sections. And the babies pay. My teachers have said they see babies with cuts on their faces, hematomas on their heads which may cause seizures. Yet the percentages of women seeing midwives have very low occurrences of the procedures mentioned above.

The absolute worst thing you can do is lay a woman who is in labor on her back! How is gravity supposed to work on bringing baby down if a lady is laying flat? Plus, baby needs to move its’ body a couple times to get through that pelvis, that’s why a woman should be up & moving to help baby turn and shift down the birth canal. Animals in labor don’t even just lie down, they move around until the kids come out, it’s just natural. Yet, it’s easier for the Dr if mom is on her back….

Hospitals are businesses. Labor is naturally supposed to be long! Yet they put so many women on Pitocin so they can get them out & get that free bed. There’s a reason C-sections peak at 4pm and 10pm. Labor isn’t meant to be rushed like that, trust your body.

Like you said, women are put on Pitocin, making their contractions much more intense, so then they get an Epidural, well the Epidural slows the contractions, so they give her even more Pitocin which all causes the baby to go into “distress” so now it’s time for a C-section.

Midewives are a wonderful choice. Unfortunately, they are far and few behind. I live in IL and I hear barely anyone does home births & many hospitals kick midwives out if they are getting too many of the births. Northwester is only of the only hospitals here that have a birthing tank yet I guess they average 1 birth in the tank a year. That’s disappointing! Midwives unfortunately have this horribly inaccurate stigma. Hope it changes before it’s too late!

You are right ! That is the name of the documentary..lol , I guess I couldn't remmeber it this morning..lol
    but Yes! You have said it beautifully. I think the name of the post might have caused some confusion. It's not the price we pay but the business/money being made for pushing women into having c-sections.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i just wanted to add, i dont know about the US or other places, but in the UK in a hospital, while in labour, youre often left on your own to labour, and the midwife pops in and out to see how youre doing, but a lot of the time in hospital, i was labouring alone (well, with my ex husband, who was neither use nor ornament) but it hurt much more than i thought i would, and i felt completely out of control, and ended up asking for all the drugs, and only very narrowly avoided ventouse delivery (and episiotomy) because i couldnt feel to push. I just felt like i was on a conveyor belt.

With a homebirth, you are assigned two midwives. One for the mother, one for the baby, and the first midwife will be with you from fairly early on, so if there ARE any warning signals, she will be there to see whats happening and arrange an ambulance to hospital if needed, or use techniques to sort it out without unneccessary intervention if possible. There are so many things they will C section for in a hospital, that in reality and with a competent and experienced midwife, can be avoided and rectified.
    I wouldnt have gone for a homebirth if id have lived a long distance from a hospital though. As it goes, my local hospital is only 5 minutes drive away if anything had gone wrong

Also if you book a homebirth, you can change your mind at any point if it gets too much, and be transferred to hospital, but if you book a hospital birth, you cant just decide to go home.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I had a c-section. Not by choice. My water broke and 48 hours later I was still not dilating soo an emerg c section was in order. I had this huge fantasy, natural birth, no drugs, a huge support system, and then I'd snuggle my lil one in my arms. HA none of that happened. Rather I was left on potocin (which forces you to contract) for 30 some odd hours, and when it came time for the actual c section I could feel them cutting me open all while being told to shut up because I kept saying I was dying. Wouldn't you think you were dying?? After which I ended up getting a spinal headache and could not see 2 feet ahead of me for the next 6 weeks, and the hospital denied me a spinal block to fix the headache because it was dangerous. Soo for the first 6 weeks I was drugged up. I did not enjoy my time with my new baby. His father had to take care of him because all I could do was feed him and lay with him. I had a pregnancy from hell and was left on acid reflux meds for the majority of my pregnancy only to find out they cause brain development problems in fetuses. Thankfully my son is okay. My labor was horrific, the nursing staff were nothing but snobby b*tches. And after my son was born he was preemie and had very severe jaundice, he was to stay in the hospital for the next 10 days. Well on day 3 I was told I had to go home. A breastfeeding mother. I told the staff if he was getting low on milk to call me anytime and I would be there. When I came in one morning they were feeding my son formula. I lost my right mind. They said to me well then I shoulda been there. I left the hospital at 2am only to arrive 4 hours later at 6am after telling them to call me for ANYTHING. I am telling you heath care here in Canada is horrible. At least where I live. I don't remember ever having a happy experience. I wonder if I can have my baby in the states next time around. Maybe I'll take a vacay right before my due date lol.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options

I honestly don't think it matters how a mother winds up having her child, so long as momma and baby are both healthy. There is no solid argument for bonding. Both groups of mothers should feel completely empowered at going through child birth, regardless of the method. However, it does seem that mothers who have had c-sections don't get the same feeling of empowerment and don't receive the same kind of treatment as a mother who delivered her child vaginally.

Opting to have a c-section, regardless of the reason, does not make a mother a bad mother, however so many mothers are treated this way. Most of us didn't go through (usually) long pregnancies to be met with almost instant hostility at the way we gave birth. My son came out completely happy and healthy (and according to the nurses, the loudest newborn they've ever heard), and does not have any lasting effects from any of the medications, and he has always been in the high 90's of the percentiles and is far ahead of his development. Regardless of how a mother delivers a baby, she deserves absolute respect at even being a mother, and that's something that so many of us seem to forget.

^^^This^^^ :flowerforyou:
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    C-section should be used to save life only...

Being pregnant and giving birth arent disease !
  • Sheeshy
    Sheeshy Posts: 133
    Options
    Honestly, I think if you trust your doctor/midwife enough, no matter what you choose and what happens you will be happy in knowing they did everything they could to keep you and your baby safe.

I completely agree with this. I loved my doctor - she was wonderful, and I completely trusted her. I wanted to go natural as well, but I ended up having to have an emergency c-section because my baby was going into distress - high heart rate, meconium in the water, all that good stuff. My nurses and doctor were all so calm and collected, and kept me that way. Afterwards, I found out that my main nurse, who I'd gotten very close to, was very worried that we were losing the baby. It turned out the cord was wrapped around her neck very tightly a couple of times. She was a bit blue when they got her out. But she recovered, and so did I. Now I have an active and fun 4 year old daughter. And about the bonding - I was worried about this - but I've never felt such a strong love for anything in my whole life.
    Honestly, my c-section wasn't even bad. The first few days were awful, but those pain meds are AMAZING. :) I started walking the day after, was off the pain meds within a couple of weeks, and was hiking a couple of months later. I can't even see my scar.
    I've definitely heard some horror stories, but mine wasn't one of them. If I have another, I want to try VBAC, but I'm not so freaked out about the possibility of a c-section anymore.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

My son - I was in labor for 2.5 hours (I did LOTS of walking during my pregnancy). Once the dr broke my water it was ON! Than my son fell asleep "on the way out"....um yea, my dr had to use scapal stimulation to wake him up. LOL

If 2.5 hours was how long it was from your water breaking to the time you delivered then I was never in labor. lol My water never broke. My daughter was born in the amniotic sac. They had to break that open to get her. And when they did that they realized that the cord was wrapped around her neck. I was told that if my water had broken it would have tightened around her neck.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    C-section should be used to save life only...

Being pregnant and giving birth arent disease !

My thoughts too.