Healthy Food for the Hurricane-need suggestions!

Options
2»

Replies

• beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    Although I realize you are further south than MC, which is the current path for landfall, if it comes in as a Cat 3 you don't need to be in Ocean Isle. Anywhere east of 95 is probably going to have significant impact~

That being said, many posters here have given you some awesome choices! I hope you stay safe!
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Stay safe....I live in Miami and eventhough we are not in the eye of the storm, we are getting tones of rain and wind, so can only imagine what you guys will be getting tomorrow....
    For food....water, nuts, fresh fruits and veggies (carrots and celery).....
  • mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions on here already. I would also suggest adding canned beans (eg: black beans-- and perhaps tortillas) since they're a great source of protein and fiber, and maybe even some canned veggies and/or fruit. If you buy or make enough ice in advance to keep a cooler (or couple of coolers!) cold after the electricity goes out, you can also keep hard-boiled eggs, milk, cottage cheese, sandwich supplies, fruit, veggies, and any other staples that you normally keep in the refrigerator good for a few days. If you have time, try freezing plastic containers full of water to make huge chunks of ice (eg: cottage cheese or large yogurt containers, rubbermaid containers, whatever else you have). These will melt much more slowly and will help keep things colder longer than regular ice cubes will. Good luck and stay safe!
  • mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Or better yet-- freeze some of your bottled water (probably need to pour a little bit out of the bottles first so they don't explode)-- they'll make great ice packs AND you can drink them later as needed.
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Atkins food....bars, shakes, snacks.....Excellent choice. Taste Great. Low cal. and keeps very well
  • _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Or better yet-- freeze some of your bottled water (probably need to pour a little bit out of the bottles first so they don't explode)-- they'll make great ice packs AND you can drink them later as needed.

This is an awesome awesome IDEA!! :) Thanks!! haha....
  • _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm going to the store tonight so we'll see, hope there is still water there!!! I have been having crazy hours at work, and I'm so afraid by the time I get there this evening everything is going ot be wiped out! Ick! not fun!
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I live in Connecticut and just came back from the grocery store or should I say zoo!!! They have batteries and waters piled high when you first walk in the door - but the water was flying out the door!!!!
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ok so I live in Southeastern NC, on the coast and unless you live underground w/ no technology, you know we have a huge hurricane coming...which means probably we will be without power for a few days.... if not longer....I've always stayed during hurricanes, so not worried about that, but what I am worried about is healthy food options... usually we get things that are not the least bit healthy to snack on while we sit around and do nothing while the storm is hitting....I need low cal options for snacks and meals that do not have to be cooked or refridgerated haha... any suggestions??

Umm first thing i thought was why are you staying!?? My aunt stayed during a hurricane and she laughed at everyone who left...until the levy broke (Katrina anyone). But hey I'm not a coaster so what do i know...
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nuts and more nuts. Jerkies. And plenty of water.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    almonds, fruits (they dont need to stay cool) bread with peanut butter
  • saadler
    saadler Posts: 116
    Options
    Clementines!
  • sarahemily72
    Options
    Can you pack a cooler with healthy sandwich meat and condiments?
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    we are just north of you in VA. Today we went grocery shopping and bought canned tuna, chicken, wheat bread, some meats to grill on the first day if we loose power, water melon, squash (to grill), apples, pears (things that can sit out), and a promise to grill anything else that defrosts in the freezer. Oh yeah, and canned soups that we can heat on a butane camping/backpacking stove. Filling up lots of water bottles and water jugs for drinking water and the tub for cleaning/flushing purposes. :) cheers, hope it isn't too bad!