Benefits of Drinking Water and how much should you drink????

Options
Here are something I have found Helpful about Drinking Water & wanted to Share with everyone...

What are the benefits of water?

There are a lot of claimed benefits of drinking water, but are they really that big a deal? Well as a former big time soda addict, let me share some of the changes I’ve personally noticed in my own body and health since giving up the soda and switching to water…

Healthier, younger looking skin: Now that I drink water regularly, my heels are not as dry and they don’t crack anymore. My nails and the cuticles around them are healthier too. The skin on my hands is soft again and less wrinkled, and I have noticed fewer to no breakouts on my face.

More energy: This is definitely true, especially during exercise. If I’m dehydrated, I feel more tired and sluggish. Drinking plenty of water throughout the day (be sure to sip not gulp) prehydrates my body, so when I work out, my body is ready and not dying of thirst 10 minutes into it.

Plus, this one is strange and I have no explanation for it, but I just feel lighter and cleaner when I drink water… must be just a mental mystique thing there.

Revving up the metabolism: I can’t say I’ve noticed any physical changes in regards to this one, but in its defense how am I to know what my metabolism is doing really. My body does work more efficiently well hydrated, so it makes sense that my metabolism may be working more efficiently too. As I said before, I do have more energy… I also read that if you drink ice cold water, your body has to work to heat it up, thus burning calories while ingesting none – sounds reasonable to me. Consequently, I list this one as a true benefit.

Helps buff and tough muscle: I haven’t noticed any of my muscles growing, but I’m not focused on body building. Randy strength trains though, and staying hydrated gives him more energy to lift. Consider, too, that a well hydrated body should be able to build muscle tissue more efficiently.

One benefit I have experienced since drinking more water is that I no longer have muscle cramps in my legs. I use to wake up with some terrible cramped up calves in the middle of the night – not anymore. I think my muscles are much happier hydrated with H2O.

Good working digestive pipes: This is a definite plus due to water! I won’t gross you out with my previous non-working issues, but I will tell you all the good things that have happened since. Most importantly, I can “go” regularly. And, when your body can ingest, digest, and move stuff out on a regular basis, a lot of the garbage you didn’t know you were storing moves out with the constant out flow, resulting in cleaner “pipes”. Because my digestion process is in an easy working type order, the evacuation zone is much happier too. ooOOook, enough on this subject…. I’m sure you get it.

A true weight loss aid: Yes, yes, yes! If you have more energy, get more from your workouts, and can better eliminate the food you eat, how could this not help you lose weight? Also consider, the body can hold quite a few pounds in… um well, undigested stuck food – gross again I know. Just think energize, burn, and work it out! You’ll be feeling great! My belly is so thankful and less bloated…

Which leads me to relief from boating and water retention: To me, it has always seemed funny that I should have to drink more water to eliminate water, but it’s true. The water you drink helps to flush out toxins and other reasons for your body to retain fluid… My feet use to swell up something awful, especially after working out sometimes. Drinking water has definitely helped me reduce water retention, and my feet are much happier too.

A natural appetite suppressant: If I’m dehydrated, I sometimes feel hungry. But, I wouldn’t say that drinking a glass of water erases my hunger pains. If my stomach is growling, water doesn’t tame it. But, drinking water with my meals does help me feel fuller, and I eat less. Therefore, I think it really helps when it comes to portion control and pigging out… I use to pig out A-LOT.

A body’s best natural body lube: Absolutely, 100% positively soooo true! My body functions much more efficiently when I’m hydrated.

If you’re not a fan of water, I hope this helps to change your mind. There are so many benefits to drinking H2O, plus now there are so many things to flavor up your water! I honestly can say, too, that drinking water helped me to kick my bad soda habit. I think the soda actually left me thirsty, but after drinking water I just wasn’t thirsty anymore.

If it isn’t already, make water your favorite drink… Why do you think Aquaman is so hot?:wink:

How much water should you drink???? 1oz for ever 2lbs you weigh.. so if you weigh 200lbs you should drink 100oz ect....

Replies

• Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    I drink water cause you tell me to and I don't want you to delete me....lol
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    lmao nice

Great post CM3 - that was great info and I really like those types of topics - nicely done!
  • I do my best to drink eight glasses a day now, which sometimes is hard for someone who can reach mid afternoon without realising I have not had a single drink.
    I feel less bloated, have less munchies and I am waiting to see it change my skin.
  • AwesomeSauce4
    AwesomeSauce4 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

I would Never Delete you Sexy texas *muah* But Drink up:drinker:
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks Rachel for posting this sounds like I am drinking enough I had wondered how much was enough.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    True story ;)
  • pudd1e
    pudd1e Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good post!

It's always a challenge for me to meet 64 oz per day, much less 90 (based on your formula), but I've replaced juice with water and it's really helped me get under my calorie count each day. I also replaced regular soda with diet, and that's helped as well, but soon I need to ween myself off of the diet and just drink water almost exclusively. This one is definitely a challenge for me as I've been dependent on soda for so long, but this was a good reminder that it's important to ramp up the H2O and dial back the fizzy stuff. Thanks!
  • BIG_Lew
    BIG_Lew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Here are something I have found Helpful about Drinking Water & wanted to Share with everyone...

What are the benefits of water?

There are a lot of claimed benefits of drinking water, but are they really that big a deal? Well as a former big time soda addict, let me share some of the changes I’ve personally noticed in my own body and health since giving up the soda and switching to water…

Healthier, younger looking skin: Now that I drink water regularly, my heels are not as dry and they don’t crack anymore. My nails and the cuticles around them are healthier too. The skin on my hands is soft again and less wrinkled, and I have noticed fewer to no breakouts on my face.

More energy: This is definitely true, especially during exercise. If I’m dehydrated, I feel more tired and sluggish. Drinking plenty of water throughout the day (be sure to sip not gulp) prehydrates my body, so when I work out, my body is ready and not dying of thirst 10 minutes into it.

Plus, this one is strange and I have no explanation for it, but I just feel lighter and cleaner when I drink water… must be just a mental mystique thing there.

Revving up the metabolism: I can’t say I’ve noticed any physical changes in regards to this one, but in its defense how am I to know what my metabolism is doing really. My body does work more efficiently well hydrated, so it makes sense that my metabolism may be working more efficiently too. As I said before, I do have more energy… I also read that if you drink ice cold water, your body has to work to heat it up, thus burning calories while ingesting none – sounds reasonable to me. Consequently, I list this one as a true benefit.

Helps buff and tough muscle: I haven’t noticed any of my muscles growing, but I’m not focused on body building. Randy strength trains though, and staying hydrated gives him more energy to lift. Consider, too, that a well hydrated body should be able to build muscle tissue more efficiently.

One benefit I have experienced since drinking more water is that I no longer have muscle cramps in my legs. I use to wake up with some terrible cramped up calves in the middle of the night – not anymore. I think my muscles are much happier hydrated with H2O.

Good working digestive pipes: This is a definite plus due to water! I won’t gross you out with my previous non-working issues, but I will tell you all the good things that have happened since. Most importantly, I can “go” regularly. And, when your body can ingest, digest, and move stuff out on a regular basis, a lot of the garbage you didn’t know you were storing moves out with the constant out flow, resulting in cleaner “pipes”. Because my digestion process is in an easy working type order, the evacuation zone is much happier too. ooOOook, enough on this subject…. I’m sure you get it.

A true weight loss aid: Yes, yes, yes! If you have more energy, get more from your workouts, and can better eliminate the food you eat, how could this not help you lose weight? Also consider, the body can hold quite a few pounds in… um well, undigested stuck food – gross again I know. Just think energize, burn, and work it out! You’ll be feeling great! My belly is so thankful and less bloated…

Which leads me to relief from boating and water retention: To me, it has always seemed funny that I should have to drink more water to eliminate water, but it’s true. The water you drink helps to flush out toxins and other reasons for your body to retain fluid… My feet use to swell up something awful, especially after working out sometimes. Drinking water has definitely helped me reduce water retention, and my feet are much happier too.

A natural appetite suppressant: If I’m dehydrated, I sometimes feel hungry. But, I wouldn’t say that drinking a glass of water erases my hunger pains. If my stomach is growling, water doesn’t tame it. But, drinking water with my meals does help me feel fuller, and I eat less. Therefore, I think it really helps when it comes to portion control and pigging out… I use to pig out A-LOT.

A body’s best natural body lube: Absolutely, 100% positively soooo true! My body functions much more efficiently when I’m hydrated.

If you’re not a fan of water, I hope this helps to change your mind. There are so many benefits to drinking H2O, plus now there are so many things to flavor up your water! I honestly can say, too, that drinking water helped me to kick my bad soda habit. I think the soda actually left me thirsty, but after drinking water I just wasn’t thirsty anymore.

If it isn’t already, make water your favorite drink… Why do you think Aquaman is so hot?:wink:

How much water should you drink???? 1oz for ever 2lbs you weigh.. so if you weigh 200lbs you should drink 100oz ect....
    Thts my girl rite here, look at Mrs Sexy Muscles, soon to be personal trainer. Outstanding !!!!
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    You can add to the list, Peeing alot.........Ok, I really do believe the things in your post. Heck you've done great and should know it's benefits. My Accountibility Buddy keeps telling me to drink more and I'm really trying. Thanks
  • kikican82
    Options
    This was very motivating to read! I used to be a big time Coke Zero/Diet Coke girl...like several sodas a day, and this week, I've tried tapering down (so I can eventually quit). I didn't want to go cold turkey (I've had headaches from that in the past) but one a day mixed with lots and lots of water will hopefully get me to where you are! Thanks for the motivation!
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Wow your before and after is amazing!!
  • SweetStrawberry
    Options

LMAO!!!!
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I drink over 100oz per day =)
    I'm pretty much addicted to water...if I go more than 2 hrs without having it I can feel my body complaining!
    It's sort of weird, but also cool.....
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    water is simply AWESOME for your body. I became an almost exclusive water drinker around April 20. Since that time, I have felt more energy and simply better. Its hard to describe how "better" feels, except to say that I believe this is how people were meant to feel before ingesting processed crap. Now, I'm confident that my other nutritional and exercise improvements have helped me as well, but I know that I have better results when I commit to drinking my water.

as far as what water is doing for you with respect to the digestion/metabolism process....when you drink enough water, your liver doesn't need to help the kidneys do their job. Instead, the liver does its primary job which is metabolizing food and fat. We should all want our livers focusing on its primary job so that food doesn't get stored as fat.

as far as how much, I've seen a few guidelines. The one mentioned above, half your body weight, is a start. I forget the source, but one of those agencies recommends 96 ounces (3 quarts) plus 8 ounces for every 25 pounds that you are over your ideal weight. Another source recommends 132 ounces (a gallon). Another source suggests you should drink enough water so that you have 3 or 4 clear or nearly clear urinations a day. I usually drink between 3 and 4 quarts of water a day.

When I tell people about the benefits of drinking water and how much I drink, I typically hear..."you know you can drink too much water". That's true, but studies involving folks who have had 2 gallons a day have shown no negative effects. I have personally had as much as 160 (or a little more) ounces a day for a week without any negative effects.
  • tammierich
    Options
    Great post. This week I have been aiming to drink 10 bottle of 500ml of water which is 2 litres more than recommended for my weight. I havent read anywhere that this is not recommended so I think every little extra should help.

I should know when I get weighed x x
  • jrcox520
    jrcox520 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'll second the peeing a lot one. My job requires me to walk around all day, and I don't have internet access on the computers. BUT I have to pee so much I get ample time to check MFP from my phone in the bano... :P
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    This post is very informative and I agree that water is good for you to drink. Your picture is amazing. I do want to point out, as explained to me by my nephrologist (kidney doctor) that not only water counts towards your daily intake. He explained that other foods such as jello, ice cream, anything that will dissolve into a liquid, counts as your daily intake. Of course, these should be fat-free, sugar-free, and in moderation. Drinks with caffeine and/or alcohol do not count as they will dehydrate. And, yes, peeing is a good thing. As a kidney transplant recipient, I never complain about peeing - dialysis was no fun!! Anyway, this is my two cents!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post. I have always known that I need to drink water (I have a problem with UTIs) and I can usually get in the habit of drinking water for a week or less but then ultimately fall into my habit of not drinking water.

A few of my problems with water:

~I hate having to go to the bathroom so often, at my work my boss always gives me the dirty eye when I use the bathroom and leave the phones to answer themselves for 2-3 minutes. When I drink enough water I go to the bathroom ever 30 minutes (Is this how often you are going to the bathroom? Is this a normal frequency?)
    ~I always forget to drink water during the day. I have my water bottle right next to me at my desk but I get zoned out in work that I forget to keep drinking. I get lazy when my water bottle is empty and don't want to go fill it up.
    ~I get tired of drinking so much water, it has no taste and doesn't provide caffeine which I do get from soda and energy drinks.

However I've decided I really need to get back in the habit. For some reason water is easier and maybe more enjoyable to drink out of straw so I need to bring my water bottle with the straw back to work with me. I have really bad calf cramps during the nights and lately they have started appearing more often. My boyfriend mentioned its because I wasn't drinking enough water and I ignored him, guess I can't ignore him anymore.

Thank you again.

With your weight:water estimates I should drink about 72 oz of water.
    I'm going to start counting the water in my diary and not leaving the count to my head.
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    water is simply AWESOME for your body. I became an almost exclusive water drinker around April 20. Since that time, I have felt more energy and simply better. Its hard to describe how "better" feels, except to say that I believe this is how people were meant to feel before ingesting processed crap. Now, I'm confident that my other nutritional and exercise improvements have helped me as well, but I know that I have better results when I commit to drinking my water.

as far as what water is doing for you with respect to the digestion/metabolism process....when you drink enough water, your liver doesn't need to help the kidneys do their job. Instead, the liver does its primary job which is metabolizing food and fat. We should all want our livers focusing on its primary job so that food doesn't get stored as fat.

as far as how much, I've seen a few guidelines. The one mentioned above, half your body weight, is a start. I forget the source, but one of those agencies recommends 96 ounces (3 quarts) plus 8 ounces for every 25 pounds that you are over your ideal weight. Another source recommends 132 ounces (a gallon). Another source suggests you should drink enough water so that you have 3 or 4 clear or nearly clear urinations a day. I usually drink between 3 and 4 quarts of water a day.

When I tell people about the benefits of drinking water and how much I drink, I typically hear..."you know you can drink too much water". That's true, but studies involving folks who have had 2 gallons a day have shown no negative effects. I have personally had as much as 160 (or a little more) ounces a day for a week without any negative effects.

I do want to interject that you can drink too much water. My friend has been having problems feeling ill, her blood tests were off, and she found out she was drinking too much water. Her electrolytes had been off due to the excess in water, which will really affect you.