2-3 small protien loaded meal ideas needed...

Options
I have found that I get hungry and need to eat every 2 - 3 hours (my stomach gets queasy).

I am new to eating every couple hours which is causing me to over eat! I want to start eating 5 to 6 small "meals" throughout the day. I am a runner training for a half marathon in October and need some ideas on what to have in my small meals that have protien.

I also find that I am eating junk calories (non protien) for my three main meals. If you have a good idea for lunch or dinner meals that don't take much preporation that would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Any lean meat/fish, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, almonds.

Then there is protein shakes, protein bars and protein powder.

Best of Luck!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    chicken breast with greek yogurt on it. mmm :)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    what the above poster suggested...

also i do the same plan and am also in the middle of marathon training so feel free to go through my diet. I've really focused on eating >120 g of protein in the last two weeks so look in that time frame

good luck and eating protein does wonders for your appetite and the body!
  • luckygrrrl
    Options
    I lift weights so I eat a lot of protein. The link here, if you go towards the bottom of the page it has a diet listed for the day. Lots of protein and links for clean protein ideas. I like the Turkey muffins, though without as much oatmeal as she calls for.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer-phase-1-day-15.html

I hope that helps, good luck :)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I like doing something like this in the crock pot:

1/2 lb dry beans (pick one, several, what ever)
    2 lbs meat (again, pick your favorite)

If you use a fattier meat, you can drain off the top and rinse the mixture to be rid of at least 50% of the fat.

I also add the following:
    1 bell pepper
    1/2 boiled onion
    other veggies (carrots, green beans, broccoli, etc)

This will last me a good 4-6 meals, depending on how much veggies I use (assuming around 400 g per serving, obviously a smaller serving will last you longer).

Top with 1/2 serving of your favorite shredded cheese.
  • Latai
    Latai Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started keeping a bag of whole almonds at my desk and snack on it. I tend to find out that by the end of day I'm not even hungry but I force myself to small dinner. The previous suggestions are good too!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I need good ideas also...
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    roasted soy nuts

beef jerky

in the baby food aisle -- a jar of Gerber Graduates Turkey Sticks

egg whites (I'd just eat the whole hard boiled egg)

Any grilled meat cold (think bento box)

skim milk/soy milk
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I live by my George Foreman grill. Makes it really easy & quick to cook up a chicken breast or a hamburger patty. And varying the seasoning keeps you from getting bored: add cheese, or salsa, or curry & red chili powder, BBQ spices, Italian spices...

Also, for snacks, a pouch of tuna with a little mustard and/or cream cheese and/or cottage cheese. Eat it in a lettuce leaf or scoop it up with celery sticks.
    Handful of mixed nuts.
    Greek yogurt (get the plain kind & mix a little Crystal light or Emergen-C powder into it, for a variety of flavor choices).
    Cucumbers, celery or spinach can be chopped up & mixed in with cottage cheese & a little black pepper.
    Cheese cubes & beef jerky.

I drink a lot of protein powder, too. Find one of the low-carb kinds for snacks and a higher-carb one for right before a workout.

Planning ahead helps, too. I make a spinach quiche every weekend, but I make it in cupcake tins then refrigerate or freeze them individually. Then I can heat 'em up & snack on 'em all throughout the week. You can do the same with cupcake-sized meatloaf.
  • Trinikesha
    Options
    Hi, I recently started following the same plan last week. So far I've done 4 ounces of chicken breast or salmon made on the george foreman grill, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, egg whites with grilled veggies in a whole wheat wrap, tuna salad, deli sliced turkey and 8 oz.. muscle milk drinks after I workout...just to name a few. I eat 6 small meals per day to boost my metabolism with 2 to 3 snacks of fruit or veggies. Be careful with the protein intake though, it varies for people wanting to lose weight or build muscle. The article below is from Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen from www.cleveland.com...good luck

What is the danger of eating too much protein?

Metabolizing large amounts of protein makes your kidneys work harder, but reports that it can bring on kidney failure are exaggerated. However, you could become dehydrated, which can make you feel lousy, because your body uses extra water to flush out extra urea, a byproduct of protein digestion. Also, if you go for protein stuffed with saturated fat and you're obese, your odds of insulin resistance and diabetes shoot up.

There's a simple way to gauge how much protein you need daily: Multiply your weight in pounds by 0.4. If you're 165 pounds, that's about 66 grams of protein each day. Anything more will be turned into fat and urine, though don't try telling that to the average gym rat who thinks high-protein shakes are magic muscle makers. Elite athletes may need somewhat more protein than the rest of us, but most Americans get plenty of protein.

So do your math, stick to your daily protein requirement, and do what we do: Get most of your protein from plants, like kidney beans, tree nuts and edamame (16-18 grams of protein per cup). With vegetarian protein, you get other benefits, too, like fiber, protective plant phytochemicals, fewer calories and no saturated fat.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Here are a couple of snacks that i do:

1)Tuna - just eat it right from the can (after draining)
    2) Hard boiled eggs, mash with a fork and cottage cheese, spread on riveta (rye bread) or dip celary in it etc.
    3) Protein shakes have helped me as I class it as a meal (not a drink) but helps on the days when I just don't want solid food 6 times!
    4) When you grill your chicken breast do an extra one. Chop it up small and pop it in food bag. I eat it like that, cold as a snack.

Don't think that everything has to be a "meal". As I say, you can just eat chopped chicken breast instead of crisps for example.
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    greek yogurt, tbsp of peanut butter, sliced almonds.. some sweetener or honey. AMAZING! lots of protein.
  • Trinikesha
    Options
    Forgot to mention that everything I make on the George Foreman grill takes me less than ten minutes. I have a large one so I grill the veggies and meat at the same time. While that's going I pop a potato in the microwave for 5 minutes and I have a complete meal in no time at all. Less fat, easy to clean and less time for busy people like myself. I also use a light cooking spray if needed, never oil.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    What is the danger of eating too much protein?

Metabolizing large amounts of protein makes your kidneys work harder, but reports that it can bring on kidney failure are exaggerated. However, you could become dehydrated, which can make you feel lousy, because your body uses extra water to flush out extra urea, a byproduct of protein digestion. Also, if you go for protein stuffed with saturated fat and you're obese, your odds of insulin resistance and diabetes shoot up.

Sorry, I have to disagree with this part of the post. I am being treated by a doctor for hyperinsulinemia (insulin resistance), and the first thing he did was put me on a high-protein diet. I eat 300-350g protein per day, about 65% of my calories in protein and 30% in fat, which is WAY above the FDA's recommended levels. And I've never felt better in my life.

It is carbohydrates that cause / intensify insulin resistance (see the links below). A high-protein, high-fat, low-carb diet is the best thing a diabetic could do. Everyone's metabolism is different, everyone's body is different, so I certainly wouldn't say this diet is the best for everyone. But it's not dangerous either! I've met people who have eaten like this for over a decade and it has completely freed them from dependence on any cholesterol- or diabetes-controlling drugs. And I really think a high-protein diet can help anyone whose body doesn't process carbs very efficiently for whatever reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3M75cYpx2w&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
    http://www.diabetesnewsstand.com/vissue/vernon/titlepage.html