I could eat a whole bakery after my gym workout!

Options
I feel like I'm doing a good workout - typically 30-60 minutes of cardio. But in the car on the way home, I am starving. I get into the house and the first thing I want to do is eat. HELP!! I try to drink the rest of my water in the car to fill me up but I am ravenous. Any suggestions?

Replies

• szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    Protein shake?
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Protein shake?

You know, I've tried that. I drink and then I'm like..........ok, now what? It isn't filling to me at all. Is it supposed to be?
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    that's normal. just eat? lol...
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Try packing a snack to have with you. Post cardio is the best time to eat carbs but you still need protein to slow the digestion down. I like unsalted, roasted almonds for a snack as they cover all the bases...carbs, good fat, and protein plus they are very portable.

And remember it takes 20 minutes for your brain to realize you've eaten. So wait and then see if you need more to eat.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Try eating some vegetables. Sounds silly but it is very little calories and your body might be needing the nutrients.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Try packing a snack to have with you. Post cardio is the best time to eat carbs but you still need protein to slow the digestion down. I like unsalted, roasted almonds for a snack as they cover all the bases...carbs, good fat, and protein plus they are very portable.

And remember it takes 20 minutes for your brain to realize you've eaten. So wait and then see if you need more to eat.

no it's not... lol... PROTEIN after workout... muscle recovery.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Your body needs fuel after a workout. I used to crave beefburgers after long days in teh saddle! I didn't know why until I started to learn...it's my body shouting for protein.

Listen to what your body is craving, and feed it (not what YOU are craving, but what your body wants!).

A protein shake right after your workout, before you hit teh shower, is a good idea. Your muscles will tahnk you and ity should take teh edge of enough that you can think properly about food rather than just eating the first thing you find when you get home.

If you are craving sweet pastries your body is telling you something, maybe you need some carbs before a workout? I don't know, I'm not an expert, but I'd be interested to hear someone elses thoughts on this.
  • gradgal01
    gradgal01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Do you eat before your workout? When I "fuel up" ~20-30 minutes pre-exercise, I'm usually not hungry at all afterward. It also makes me feel like I can do more and push harder before my muscles/lungs give up.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Do you eat before your workout? When I "fuel up" ~20-30 minutes pre-exercise, I'm usually not hungry at all afterward. It also makes me feel like I can do more and push harder before my muscles/lungs give up.

What fuel do you have? I struggle with anything that close to a workout as it repeats on me during!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

This! I started eating a filling meal prior to my workout and it did the trick! I was the same way, get done and be starving. Now I eat a healthy meal, do my workout then drink a protein shake if I feel hungry.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options

no it's not... lol... PROTEIN after workout... muscle recovery.

In addition to protein the body needs carbs to spike the glucose level to help prevent binges like eating a whole bakery...
  • mbi2008
    mbi2008 Posts: 19
    Options
    I work out in the mornings, between breakfast and lunch and I usually pack a Larabar (between 100-200 calories depending on the size bar you get) in my gym bag to eat when I'm done. It holds me over until I can get home and fix lunch.
  • gradgal01
    gradgal01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

What fuel do you have? I struggle with anything that close to a workout as it repeats on me during!

I've personally been trying to eat more protein, so I've been going for protein-filled foods: Raw almonds, yogurt, a few ounces of grilled chicken. Not a whole lot of food -- it shouldn't make you feel bloated, and definitely wait until you feel like you can jump up and down a few times before you head to workout. I also try to drink a large glass of water before to stay hydrated. <-- This works for me, and I hope you find something that works for you!
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I use to feel the same way. :smile:
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Try eating some vegetables. Sounds silly but it is very little calories and your body might be needing the nutrients.

YES LOTS OF VEGGIES HA! You know i would say that! :wink:
  • MuffinMan25
    Options
    I Love Muffins too!! lol, PROTEIN after WO is best!!
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    I like to make a smoothie with:

1 small banana
    plain yogurt (I like greek yogurt but whatever works)
    a tablespoon of peanut butter
    crushed ice

blend until smooth, then add one scoop of vanilla protein powder, blend another 15 seconds.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Protein AND carbs are important after a workout - protein particularly if it was a strength w/o, carbs if it was a cardio burn.

I'm a big fan of chocolate milk after a workout.

But I hear you on the carb craving after a strenuous cardio session - i find a small bowl of wholewheat pasta with a tomato, veggie or tuna sauce does the trick.