Cholesterol

Options
I was just wondering what everyone's setting for cholesterol is? Mine says 300 and according to the food search is says 2 large scrambled eggs have 430. I would imagine that a lot of protein would contain much more cholesterol than what is allowed. I know a lot say it's ok to go over with the protein, what do you think about the cholesterol setting?

Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    what do you think about the cholesterol setting?

Irrelevent
  • kadrum
    kadrum Posts: 6
    Options
    I am curious about this, too. I'm 37 and 150 pounds. I was shocked to learn that my cholesterol was 225. I'd love to hear thoughts about how to monitor this better. If you are trying to reduce cholesterol, what is the target for the day? I was worried that 300 was too much for someone worried about cholesterol.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    what do you think about the cholesterol setting?

Irrelevent

I agree. The more cholesterol you eat, the less your body has to make; therefore your serum cholesterol will reduce. It sounds counter intuitive, but it is the truth.

Please read The Cholesterol Myth.........

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm
  • Grokette
    Options
    I am curious about this, too. I'm 37 and 150 pounds. I was shocked to learn that my cholesterol was 225. I'd love to hear thoughts about how to monitor this better. If you are trying to reduce cholesterol, what is the target for the day? I was worried that 300 was too much for someone worried about cholesterol.

You don't want to reduce it too much..............Despite what MOST doctors say, for optimum health the cholesterol should range between 190-220 - this range is where people are at their healthiest and reap the most benefits of heart protection.

I posted the link above regarding the cholesterol myth, please read it!!!
  • rp45
    rp45 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    300 mg is the fda recommended daily allowance but i have read recently that the amount you eat is not that important so long as you don't go crazy with it.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Here is an excerpt from The Cholesterol Myth
    Old people with high cholesterol live the longest. This statement seems so incredible that it takes a long time to clear one´s brainwashed mind, at least for those who haven’t read this book, to fully understand its importance. Yet the fact that people with high cholesterol live the longest emerges clearly from many scientific papers.1

Why High Cholesterol Is Good
    In certain aspects low cholesterol is worse than high cholesterol. Already fifteen years ago American researchers found that low cholesterol predicts an increased risk of dying from diseases of the stomach, the intestines and the lungs.2
    Most of such diseases are infectious. Therefore, a relevant question is whether it is the infection that lowers cholesterol or the low cholesterol that predisposes to infectious diseases You have probably already guessed what the directors of the cholesterol campaign have said, but is it true?
    To answer that question the same researchers followed more than 100,000 healthy individuals in the San Francisco area for fifteen years. At the end of the study they noted that those who had low cholesterol at the start of the study had been admitted more often to hospital because of an infectious disease.3,4 This finding cannot be explained away with the argument that the infection had caused cholesterol to go down, because how could low cholesterol, recorded when these people had no evidence of infection, be caused by a disease they had not yet encountered? Isn’t it much more likely that low cholesterol in some way made them more vulnerable to infection? Much evidence exists to support that interpretation.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Although eating foods high in dietary cholesterol will show a temp raise in blood serum cholesterol (the reason you must fast before getting it checked) eating dietary cholesterol like eggs will cause your body to produce less to compensate. I eat 6 whole eggs and 6 whites almost every day. Blood work is perfect. Bottom line.... eat eggs!
  • Grokette
    Options
    300 mg is the fda recommended daily allowance but i have read recently that the amount you eat is not that important so long as you don't go crazy with it.

The FDA is lying to people so they can put people on Statins to further deteriorate your heatlh.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Agree that it's basically irrelevant because dietary cholesterol does not impact your cholesterol level. It's saturated fats(LDL) and sugars (triglycerides) that you need to control. Eggs are good for you! Eat less fatty red meat and remove simple carbs from your diet. Simple carbs are anything over-processed (if it comes prepackaged with sugar as an ingredient then it's over processed) white bread, white rice and white potatoes.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters. Ignore the automated setting & don't worry about your cholesterol intake. Eating cholesterol does not cause cholesterol in your bloodstream any more than eating lots of chocolate will cause chocolate to appear in your bloodstream... your body is a little more complicated than that. :smile:

Check out the previous poster's link. Also the documentary "Fat Head," which is available on Netflix or Hulu, or the Canadian documentary "My Big Fat Diet." Very interesting stuff.

If you're trying to reduce your cholesterol blood test numbers, I'd try reducing your carbohydrate intake and increasing your protein. I won't bore you with the biochemistry involved, but if you want anecdotal evidence: 4 months ago I started a low-carb, high-protein diet and probably doubled the amount of fat & cholesterol I had been eating. In that four months, I lost 30 lb and my blood cholesterol went from borderline dangerous to right in the middle of the healthy range.

Good luck to you!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    That's interesting about the low-carb and high protein diet to reduce the cholesterol blood test numbers. No, you won't bore me with what you have to say. ha :)
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol reading that most health practitioners agree is most important are the very dense particles of cholesterol referred to as VLDL. The biggest driver of your VLDL level is overconsumption of carbs, especially simple carbs.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    Options
    If you're trying to reduce your cholesterol blood test numbers, I'd try reducing your carbohydrate intake and increasing your protein. I won't bore you with the biochemistry involved, but if you want anecdotal evidence: 4 months ago I started a low-carb, high-protein diet and probably doubled the amount of fat & cholesterol I had been eating. In that four months, I lost 30 lb and my blood cholesterol went from borderline dangerous to right in the middle of the healthy range.

Good luck to you!

When you're losing weight, health markers will almost invariably improve...regardless of what your diet consists of. My Mother's lipid panel has improved steadily for the past 6 months, yet she refuses to abandon her high carb eating plan. She has been losing weight steadily which has coincided with her reduced cholesterol numbers. How's that for an anecdotal rebuttal? :smile:
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    The cholesterol reading that most health practitioners agree is most important are the very dense particles of cholesterol referred to as VLDL. The biggest driver of your VLDL level is overconsumption of carbs, especially simple carbs.

Ding, ding ding!!!!!

Eat your eggs and meat and skip the bread, your heart will thank you.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! I've been reading about how some people on here have lost weight and their cholesterol numbers have improved.
    I stay between 110-115 in weight and asked my dr when I first had a higher # in cholesterol what I should be doing. He said sometimes it's just how your body is made up and said that you could have a diet of rice and water and still have higher cholesterol. So after eating dry sandwiches to avoid extra butter, spreads, etc. for all this time and now learning that it's the damn bread that's adding to the cholesterol issues. ha :)
    I have been on lipitor for a few years and it's in the normal range, but was curious how all of this works. It seems like there is a lot of misguided information about cholesterol out there. I do like cheese though, I'm sure that doesn't help. So something like hamburger isn't as bad as simple carbs? I'm sure chicken is better for you, but just trying to get this all in! :)
  • Grokette
    Options
    Very interesting! I've been reading about how some people on here have lost weight and their cholesterol numbers have improved.
    I stay between 110-115 in weight and asked my dr when I first had a higher # in cholesterol what I should be doing. He said sometimes it's just how your body is made up and said that you could have a diet of rice and water and still have higher cholesterol. So after eating dry sandwiches to avoid extra butter, spreads, etc. for all this time and now learning that it's the damn bread that's adding to the cholesterol issues. ha :)
    I have been on lipitor for a few years and it's in the normal range, but was curious how all of this works. It seems like there is a lot of misguided information about cholesterol out there. I do like cheese though, I'm sure that doesn't help. So something like hamburger isn't as bad as simple carbs? I'm sure chicken is better for you, but just trying to get this all in! :)

Actually beef is better in the long run than chicken because chicken is higher in Omega 6 and if you consume grass fed beef, it is higher in Omega 3, plus natural occurring CLA.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Agree that it's basically irrelevant because dietary cholesterol does not impact your cholesterol level. It's saturated fats(LDL) and sugars (triglycerides) that you need to control. Eggs are good for you! Eat less fatty red meat and remove simple carbs from your diet. Simple carbs are anything over-processed (if it comes prepackaged with sugar as an ingredient then it's over processed) white bread, white rice and white potatoes.

Saturated fats won't raise your LDL, they actually are proven to raise your HDL.

When I actually looked at the abstract, I was in for a big surprise! This says that the best way to raise HDL [good cholesterol] is to eat saturated fat! It says ALL fats raised HDL , but saturated fat raised it the most!

It hasn't been proven that total cholesterol is significant in figuring risk for heart disease. But it has been proven that HDL is significant. Saturated fat may keep total cholesterol a little higher than the other fats, but it keeps HDL at the highest.

This type of study review can't easily be argued against since it is a consensus of 27 controlled studies. Unbelievable that it was published in 1992 and the Amer Heart Assoc didn't mention it until 2000 in its guidelines for diet. And even then it gets a small paragraph that says in cases of low HDL perhaps it would be best to increase unsaturated [such as vegetable oil and fish oil, not saturated] fats in the diet. At this pace, the general public is not going to get the message for another 20 years.

I'll update this when I get a copy of the full article in a few days.

Arterioscler Thromb 1992 Aug;12(8):911-9

Effect of dietary fatty acids on serum lipids and lipoproteins. A meta-analysis of 27 trials.
    Mensink RP, Katan MB.

Department of Human Biology, Limburg University, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

To calculate the effect of changes in carbohydrate and fatty acid intake on serum lipid and lipoprotein levels, we reviewed 27 controlled trials published between 1970 and 1991 that met specific inclusion criteria. These studies yielded 65 data points, which were analyzed by multiple regression analysis using isocaloric exchanges of saturated (sat), monounsaturated (mono), and polyunsaturated (poly) fatty acids versus carbohydrates (carb) as the independent variables. For high density lipoprotein (HDL) we found the following equation: delta HDL cholesterol (mmol/l) = 0.012 x (carb----sat) + 0.009 x (carb----mono) + 0.007 x (carb---- poly) or, in milligrams per deciliter, 0.47 x (carb----sat) + 0.34 x (carb----mono) + 0.28 x (carb----poly). Expressions in parentheses denote the percentage of daily energy intake from carbohydrates that is replaced by saturated, cis-monounsaturated, or polyunsaturated fatty acids. All fatty acids elevated HDL cholesterol when substituted for carbohydrates, but the effect diminished with increasing unsaturation of the fatty acids. For low density lipoprotein (LDL) the equation was delta LDL cholesterol (mmol/l) = 0.033 x (carb----sat) - 0.006 x (carb----mono) - 0.014 x (carb----poly) or, in milligrams per deciliter, 1.28 x (carb----sat) - 0.24 x (carb----mono) - 0.55 x (carb---- poly). The coefficient for polyunsaturates was significantly different from zero, but that for monounsaturates was not. For triglycerides the equation was delta triglycerides (mmol/l) = -0.025 x (carb----sat) - 0.022 x (carb----mono) - 0.028 x (carb---- poly) or, in milligrams per deciliter, -2.22 x (carb----sat) - 1.99 x (carb----mono) - 2.47 x (carb----poly).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

Yes the burger is better. Saturated fat is good for you and has a positive effect on HDL contrary to popular belief. Overconsumption of grains and unbalanced omage 3 to omega 6 ratios is what ends up leading people towards heart disease. The following paleo/primal sites have good information on this topic.

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/
    http://robbwolf.com/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
  • TK421NotAtPost
    Options

Saturated fats won't raise your LDL, they actually are proven to raise your HDL.

Actually, Sat fats DO raise your LDL. It's just that they raise your HDL a higher amount. In fact, the study you just posted states as such. The study you posted also states that unsaturated fats actually lower LDL.

But another trend that has been developing lately in the medical field is that LDL is beginning to diminish in importance as a risk factor for heart disease.