Running Rocks My World! September

Options
Hey all.

I really like the idea of some of the challenges on here, but it seems they are all closed. So I'm looking for a few good wo/men to be accountability buddies. Here's a list of the 'qualifications' of the folks I'd like to team up with:

1. Have a running distance goal and a plan to get there. I'm currently working on the Couch to 10K program and plan for a half marathon next.
2. Some other cross training each week. I do plyometrics/weight training twice a week with the Nike Training Club app on my iPhone.
(I'm a app junkie)
3. Looking to lose weight and be medium-strict to strict on calories each day. Mistakes happen and I don't want to read about you beating yourself up for going over by 20 calories.
4. An attainable weight loss goal by September 30th. I'd like to lose 5 lbs by then.
5. Friendly and likes to log on and talk just about everyday. I'm on everyday and love to talk about running, cross training, having fun, being accountable to someone, and other general everyday topics.

If this sounds like you, tell me something about yourself, including your running goals for September, your cross training goals for September, and the reasonable amount of weight you'd like to lose in the next 5 weeks.

I hope to find a few good wo/men to join me as I run across September!

Jennifer

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i wanna! =] !! i don't have distance goals, but I have speed goals for long distances ? =] !

1. 5K time under 22 min -- 6k time under 27:30
    2. weight training twice a week + maybe elliptical or walks!
    3. looking to lose the last 5-7 pounds... lighter runner= faster.. plan on being net under for the week. I zig zag.
    4. September 30th? -- uhh back down to 129 =] ! so about 3.5 pounds
    5. I'm a cross country runner at my college, and I am obsessed with training workouts. I'm OBESESSSED with running :D !!!
  • DMRN0125
    DMRN0125 Posts: 87
    Options
    Hi Jennifer!

My name is Danielle and I am currently training for the Disney Princess Half Marathon. For the month of September I am focusing on building a strong base to minimize any injury during my training which starts in November. This is my second half marathon and I have a little more experience under my belt so I am hoping to train smarter. I currently run three days a week, lift weights twice a week and crosstrain with swimming and yoga to stretch everything out.

My goal for September is to build back up to a base of about 12 miles per week and I would like to lose about 8 pounds as I am a heavier runner and losing weight while training is difficult.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Danielle
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    I have lost 70 pounds from running! I run about 32 miles a week. I didnt do any program - I just got out there and started running 4 months ago.

Get you some GOOD SHOES! I recommend Brooks. They are marathon runners choice shoes. I have a pair of Ghost 4's and I absolutlely LOVE them!!! They are SOOOO comfortable!

Make sure you have a professional (at a running store) watch how you walk. Some people Pronate, Supinate or have neutral strides (walk on outside or inside, or neither (neutral) of the foot). They have shoes for each type. If you pronate or supinate and you buy neutral shoes, you may do damage to your joints.

Also, check out the wicking fabrick. It pulls moisture from your body and keeps you cool. I have everything from socks to my shirt that does it.
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Dammit, I fit all your criteria except one!! Thought I'd tell you a bit about me anyhoo, and maybe we can still be friends (shucks...!)

My plan is Paris Marathon April 2012 - at the moment I'm researching some training plans and am liking the look of Hal Higdon's novice supreme plan which is 30 weeks long and would start me off in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I need a long term plan because (and here's where my cross training comes in) I cycle to and from work every day which is 100 miles/week. So running definitely isn't my only cardio! I do try and find some time to do a weights routine as well, but sometimes that gets a little forgotten about!

Medium strict sounds about right for calories for me! I try and stick to around 1500/day, and I eat most/all of my exercise calories back. And I'm a huge chocolate junkie - there's gotta be some in there somewhere! But definitely realise there are days that do work and days that don't. It's all about not getting too worked up about it, and seeing the long term plan.

Weight wise, I'm looking to lose around 20-25lbs, at the moment fairly steadily (which is a change for me) it's coming off at about 1lb/week.

oh yeah, and i'm pretty friendly too!
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Jennifer, this sounds like just the thing for me! I do log on daily via my phone app, and I try to get on the forums during breaks at work. I always aim to stay in my calorie/nutrition goals as set in my food diary. I am a novice runner, I've only really just started... my goal is to be running 5k by the end of September, as I am running in my first marathon on October 2nd... so, my goals are as follows:

1) Running distance goal: 5km
    Plan to get there? Run every second night! I run as far as I can (usually 1-1.5 kms, then I do walk/run intervals. So far, I am up to a total of 3.5kms, with two 20-30 second walk breaks in there... Is that ok? I love input from people who are ahead of me at this stuff)

2) Some other cross training (lol): Currently, I go to Curves (women's only circuit gym) pretty much every day. On my days in between runs, I either go for a vigorous walk, or take my mountain bike out. There are also random at home workouts, swimming, etc mixed in there for variety and good measure.

3) Looking to lose weight; be strict; and not complain constantly: I am hoping to lose up to 10lbs by September 30th; and to achieve that I have no choice but to be strict. I'm hopefully starting with my personal trainer on Monday/Tues, she'll help me to stick to it. As for complaining, I do my best to be a ray of sunshine on here. We've all had our hardships; this site is my 'safe harbor of happiness' away from the rest of world... I'll not complain!

4) Attainable weight loss goal: Up to 2lbs per week = 7-10lbs for September. Sure, it is attainable! Up to a 2lb loss per week can still be healthy... :)

5) I like to think I am friendly, I'm sure my MFP friends would agree I am... and hells yes I love to chat! :)

I am looking forward to this, it should help motivate me... I feel so alone with my jogging goals, I have zero friends interested in doing this with me. :(
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm in for sure.

I just started running about 2 months ago. Working on the C25K program. Currently on week 4. My goal is to run a 5km in under 30 mins by Oct 1. I will work on 10km after that.

I do weight training 3 days a week. Usually P90X.

I have a weight loss goal right now of 5 lbs by Sept 25. I only have about 15 more to lose so it's getting tough!

I log in everyday and love to encourage others and be encourages as well!
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Glad to have some other runners to chat with!

Barbie- College cross country? That is killer! I never had the desire to be in HS cross country, but by the time I hit college and it was an interest, the team was way beyond what I could have done, so not for me!

Danielle- I love the fact that your are doing a second half marathon! I had planned to do one in October, but I had a terrible training plan. It consisted of the fact that I could run 5 miles 9 months ago, means that after I quit for like 6 months meant I could run 5 miles too. So I was too stubborn to start small again and kept burning out week after week. I fixed it by dropping from the race and starting the Couch to 10K. Suddenly, its fun again! But half marathon is on the list.

JConner - Brooks are popular, but to each runner his own. Me? I wear Five Fingers or nothing. Your own feet are your best shoes*.
    *Not necessarily for everyone

Cathcakey - I love the fact that you are doing an international marathon! I'd love to do that someday. I used to bike to work everyday, but the wind out here in the desert gets really old and I can't stand riding in it. So I went back to driving. I'd love to ride more, though.

Diane - Welcome to the world of running! And intervals are the way to start out! You are totally right for doing it that way. However, maybe I read it wrong, but you want to do a 5K by the end of September and a marathon a few days later? Are you planning to walk it?

Welcome all!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Barbie- College cross country? That is killer! I never had the desire to be in HS cross country, but by the time I hit college and it was an interest, the team was way beyond what I could have done, so not for me!

LOL YES! I never thought it would happen. I was sooo slow when I started running in high school 2 years ago.. barely could run 2 miles in 22 min... But I'm glad I go to a smaller school (division 3), and the times aren't as crazy as the big schools!! I'm very excited to be apart of the team!! =]
  • duqtape
    Options
    Bduris - Welcome and hooray for the C25K! I loved it both times I did it. I was going to do it again, but decided to go big or go home and ramped up to the Couch to 10K. Its pretty much the same, but the workouts are twice as long. I'm on week 4 day 2 today, a 2 run/3walk interval 9 times. My major, overall goal is to run for one year without quitting. And I'd like to run 13.1 miles on New Year's day.

I love to be motivational and you sound like you will be too!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I would love to join though I am not sure my exact plan for September other than continue half marathon training.
    I have been running for 2 years and completed several 5ks, one 8k, 1 10k and my first half marathon in the spring.
    My current goals (as far as running) are to continue in hopes to run the entire 13.1 in October (if not then, November for my 3rd half!) and avoid injury ( I am so paranoid).
    My weight loss has been halted for the last year (since 09 I have lost 70 lbs) so I joined MFP recently hoping to help in that area. So far -2 lbs! Woohoo. I was told in October of last year that I could not lose weight and train for a half marathon but proved the trainer at my gym that said that wrong on both accounts. I lost 10 lbs and completed the half marathon (2:28).

My goal for September as far as weight loss is 3-5 lbs. Running - keep adding miles. This time last year I was still taking walk breaks without being able to completely run one mile. Now I can run up to 6 miles without a break. I want so bad to just keep running with no breaks, even if my pace falls to 11 min/miles. haha

I think I am pretty friendly and would love to add friends to my list! I love runner buddies. :)
  • warriorprincessdi
    Options

Diane - Welcome to the world of running! And intervals are the way to start out! You are totally right for doing it that way. However, maybe I read it wrong, but you want to do a 5K by the end of September and a marathon a few days later? Are you planning to walk it?

haha, I may have worded what I said a bit funny... essentially, I want to be running a full 5k by the end of September, because I want to be able to run for my whole race on October 2nd.(Which is a 5km race... I just referred to it as a marathon... novice mistake?) I have never in my life been a runner, but two weeks ago when I tried just for the heck of it , to see how far I could go... I managed 1.5kms without dying or feeling too wiped out... hence, I went out again two days later and added a half km to that. I've kind of 'maxed out' at my 3.5kms with a couple short walks in there... but I run again tonight (after aquacise...) I am going to run the first 1 km, then do walk/run intervals for 4kms. My hope is to decrease the walk intervals each time I go out after this... and hopefully I be able to manage my 5km in time for October 2nd! Woooo!!! haha
    **crosses fingers**
    I'll post later how I made out with it :)

Thanks all, I think this will be a lovely little group!
  • warriorprincessdi
    Options
    So, I did my 'run' last night... It was the same as the last couple trips out... I ran 1.5kms, then I did 2 kms with two 20/30 second 'walk breaks' in there... I then did a .5 km walk to 'cool down'. My total distance was 4kms; but the for the 3.5kms that I (mostly) jogged, my time was 23min, 18sec.... Next time, I'm doing the WHOLE 5kms in walk/run intervals... That's on Saturday, so wish me luck. :)
    So, any tips or advice to offer me?

Hope you all have a fantastic day! ..Any stories you care to share?
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I ran 6 miles last night. Kind of a running NSV for me too.
    I've done many tempo runs since starting my latest half marathon training. I think I am in week 7 now. Anyway, yesterday's run was 6 miles with a 4 mile tempo.
    It's been hot so I have only been doing my long runs on the weekend outdoors. I was on the TM yesterday. A friend met me at the gym and got treadmills side by side for us. I typically run WITH my iPod and music blaring in my ears. It gets me through my run.
    Well, yesterday I ditched the music, ran the treadmill beside my friend and talked the entire time. 6 miles in 61:54. I felt great.

I am struggling now with trying to go a bit slower even though a tempo should be faster. I've worked on speed for a while now and just want to maintain a solid 10 min/mile for the short run (or under but at my weight that's a stretch!). For the long run I most definitely would like to stay uner 11 min/miles but we will see. I have my first double digit run since my spring half marathon coming up this weekend and I am NERVOUS!! I just keep reminding myself that it is a training run and I can get through it.
  • warriorprincessdi
    Options
    You can do it, just keep on with the practice. :) I can't wait for the day I can say I ran that far, all at once! hahaha
  • DMRN0125
    Options
    Kimert- I have my first double digit run this weekend too. 11 miles on the plan. I just keep telling myself that if something is gonna go wrong (nutrition problems, blisters, etc.) I would rather it happen now and not during the race. Remember, these are just dress rehearsals. I heard a great quote that basically said the hardest part of training for any endurance race is the training. The easy part is the race. Our hard work now will pay off then!!

warriorprincessd- good luck on Saturday! Just make sure you pace yourself and don't start out too fast. You can do it.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Good luck to you, D! Can't wait to hear how your double digit goes!!

WP - Good luck! I hope your race goes well!

I think I will be ok. I just haven't done a double digit since my half marathon in April. My longest was an 8 miler a couple weeks ago and I think the only reason it was so bad is because it was solo. I struggle on the long runs when I don't have a running buddy!
  • duqtape
    Options
    Good morning all!

Kimert - Welcome to our little group. I didn't get a chance to say that yesterday. You know you've hit the double digits before, so it should be a cake walk the second time! Think positive and we'll all be sending you good vibes.

Warrior P - All the best luck on Saturday! Like the others have said, start slow and ramp it up after a few minutes. The tendency is to burst out of the gates, so hold back just a bit. Hooray! Try to have good posture when you run and if you don't in through the nose, out the mouth. I didn't do that for years, but started last year. It, personally, keeps my HR in control and keeps my run more focused and less 'grasp-ey'. I don't feel like I'm chasing anything, but leading. If that makes sense.

Well, I did Week 4 Day 2 of the C210K program yesterday. It was 2r/3w 9 times intervals. i didn't really want to go since the day before I did some plyometrics and it called for some kettlebell swings, which I can do the right way, but no kettlebells were available. I didn't see the harm in using a dumb bell for the exercise. The harm was hurting my back. Its not bad, just a pulled muscle, it already feels better. But dumb bells are not designed to be used like that. So I was wishey washey on running. But it only hurts when I lean over, so I went for it. It didn't get any worse, in fact, it felt better when I got back. The run went well. It was long but it flew by. I like how the workouts are the same as C25K but longer. I so want to be running the whole thing, but I know that is the best way to burn myself out and since my goal is to make it a year without quitting, what's a few weeks of warm up out of 52? Nothing.

Have a great day!
    Jennifer
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Sooooo... interesting run this weekend.

I had 3 miles to run on Saturday which went well, minus poor dinner choices the night before, but I managed to NOT puke up my dinner while running. Then I did a BodyPump class. Felt great to get that all done early that morning. Makes for a great day!

Yesterday was my scheduled long run...10 miles.. with my running partner. I got up, dressed and was putting on my right shoe when I heard my phone buzz. Great, she's running late was my thought.. no big deal. Then I looked at my phone. Crap. Literally. She was dealing with GI Issues and the immodium was not cutting it. Waaahhhh!!!

What did I do?? Cried, undressed and crawled back in bed. :(
    I told my hubby when I finally woke up at 9 that I felt like a huge failure for not just going alone. But seriously, it was dark and I had no mojo to try 10 miles alone bright and early. My 8 miler I did alone a couple of weeks before was a huge mental struggle for me and I just knew that 10 would be harder. So, I went on to church, lunch with the kids...

I decided we all just needed to sleep. Because ya know, depressed people sleep and I was feeling depressed. haha
    I text the hubby 3 hours later when I woke up. Told him that I was in a bad mood to be careful when he got home. Not running puts me in a mood, for sure.

He text me back that he had gone to buy me a can of mace and to meet him at the park, dressed and ready to run. Crap. I was going to run 10 miles alone, in the evening. I could. I would just go as far as I could go and be happy.

Weird weird run.
    At 1.50 miles I was going under an underpass/bridge and just feet in front of me a snake.. ick. I hate snakes. Like they terrify me. I waited for him to cross the path and buddy was he slow!!!!! And did I mention underpasses by bodies of water and rock are a bit dark?? ick.
    At 2.5 miles in I saw cops and lots of people. Great, I'm gonna have to turn around. Instead, I asked what was going on and one of the cops told me there was a naked man in the woods and they were trying to apprehend him. Ok, there was enough police activity and other people on the trail that I felt safe to go on. And I did.

I saw a nice lady on a bike that chatted it up with me about how I started running and she told me she recently started C25K. It was nice to have someone to chat it up with for a bit. I saw some familiar faces/friends and that helped get me through as well. I stopped once to refill my water bottle and call hubby. I told him that once I reached 7 miles I may call him to meet me and pick me up depending on how I felt.

BUT at 7 miles I felt good and kept on going. And going and going. I finished 10 miles. The last 3 miles seemed to be the easiest ever which normally does not happen for me. usually the last few miles are the hardest and I have to force myself to keep going. I'm thankful that wasn't the case this time. I called hubby at mile 10 and told him that because I had gone so far out I still had about a 1.5-2 mile walk back to my car. Oops. LOL

That was when I freaked out about going back under the underpass/bridge where I saw the snake. Freak out happened..again. But I ran under there and didn't get attacked by snakes. haha However, not even feet from there before my heart rate had a chance to drop to normal some teenage boys on bikes came up behind me and scare the crap out of me. Fun fun. I'm sure they got a great laugh.

Anyway, y'all...all that to say I had a great 10 mile run...ALONE... 1:48:52 was my finish time which put me right on pace for where I want to be for my next half marathon (oct 2nd). I am thinking about repeating last week (this week) in my training plan and rather than jumping to 12 miles this weekend just repeating 10 for the sake of feeling really good about double digits. We will see!

I take it as a weird blessing that my friend was unable to meet me for the run. It forced me to go double digits solo. I didn't struggle mentally and that was good. It was a great test and now I feel able.
  • DMRN0125
    Options
    Happy Monday all!

How did everyone's weekend go? Any new NSVs or accomplishments you want to share?

I got in my double digit run (and ice bath) and boy was it a struggle. It was 97 here and even though I started early, the heat caused me some hydration issues. The important thing is that its in the books.

What is one thing that you want to work on this week? For me, I want to spend a little more time stretching.

Danielle
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    One thing I want to work on this week - strength training and definitely stretching.