kennie2
kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
just saw this on 4OD (im afraid uk people only) so i thought id share

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-atkins-diet-fat-or-fiction/4od

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I find your subject error ironic, considering the man who came up with this absurd diet died of a heart attack before the age of 50.
  • charlibets
    charlibets Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    just saw this on 4OD (im afraid uk people only) so i thought id share

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-atkins-diet-fat-or-fiction/4od

It's not fiction because the value of restricting certain sources of carbs has been proven to be effective. But Atkins specifically is not for everyone. There are other low carb plans that are structured differently and might be a better match depending on your own lifestyle and food preferences.

I know for a fact that if I stay lower carb, in addition to watching calories, I will lose weight easier. But the problem lies in maintenance.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I like how you have a typo in the subject: *died*

Any diet that requires you use testing strips to test your kidney health is NOT something I'd ever be interested in.
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I find your subject error ironic, considering the man who came up with this absurd diet died of a heart attack before the age of 50.

He died from a head injury after being in a coma, as the result of a fall. Do some basic research before you start yapping.
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options

^Like.

^^
    Agree! LOL
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will see if it is on youtube. However, for someone that does a low fat diet, I believe a low carb diet works for those who don't like carbs.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options

He died from a head injury after being in a coma, as the result of a fall. Do some basic research before you start yapping.

Yup. Slipped and fell on the ice due to a HEART ATTACK. The fall put him in a coma, you are correct. But the fall occurred due to a heart attack. Basic research complete.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I don't believe in a diet where you restrict things can work forever. There's no way you could live every day off less than 15g of carbs, to me. I'd like to find someone who has done the Atkins diet for 30+ years.
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    I have watched this. Interesting. :)

Could all those people who wish to comment on Atkins please read the book and do the research first instead of randomly attacking because it is fashionable to do so. Thank you.
  • kennie2
    Options
    Yeah I just said there's a program about it. For people that might be interested.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    This does work, it is fact. I have been on it for 3 weeks. I just started to incorporate alli diet pills too.

Really this is the magic bullet combo. don't believe anything you hear. just try it
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    yeah it's true, the atkins diet died like 5 yrs ago....
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

His lovely diet also causes considerable health problems and he was not healthy. . . look up info . . . .

First of all the info that I am looking at said that he died at the age of 72 from the fall. . . . But here is an excerp from the doctors.

Dr. Atkins' medical records, which should not have been released, but which mistakenly were sent. The Medical Examiner's report had a hand-written note that Atkins had a history of myocardial infarction (heart attack), congestive heart failure, and hypertension (written "h/o MI, CHF, HTN").

So he still was not a healthy man. . .
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

Yup. Slipped and fell on the ice due to a HEART ATTACK. The fall put him in a coma, you are correct. But the fall occurred due to a heart attack. Basic research complete.
    I hope you don't do research for a living because you'd fail miserably;

First off, it wasn't because of a heart attack;
    Second, he was 73, not 50.

:huh:
  • wvualum
    wvualum Posts: 428
    Options
    I am not on this diet. But my dad is, he lost way over 100 lbs. Had diabetes, high bp, and high cholesterol, now he is off all the meds he was on. He has also kept it up for 6 or 7 years and doctors are amazed at how healthy his heart is. He allows himself carbs on the weekend and sticks to the low carb during the week for maintenance.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

Yeppers. . I just found an excerp from the medical crap and posted it. . . He was overweight and had major health problems. . .
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Really? Is this "Hate Atkins Day" ???
  • kennie2
    Options
    Really? Is this "Hate Atkins Day" ???

its hate on anyone day :D

mainly the "hate those people that followed something through and lost **** loads of weight day" :D
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No, it's not Hate Atkins Day. I've seen it work for people, but just like many fad diets it is not sustainable long-term. Once the weight is gone (in the case of my father-in-law who lost 60 lbs w/ Atkins) a new plan (long term) needs to be put in place to keep the weight off for good. This is the case with any 'restriction' style diet (think: Special K diet).

I was just saying that any diet that requires the use of testing strips is not the one for me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    No, it's not Hate Atkins Day. I've seen it work for people, but just like many fad diets it is not sustainable long-term. Once the weight is gone (in the case of my father-in-law who lost 60 lbs w/ Atkins) a new plan (long term) needs to be put in place to keep the weight off for good. This is the case with any 'restriction' style diet (think: Special K diet).

I was just saying that any diet that requires the use of testing strips is not the one for me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

It doesn't require serious calorie restriction OR testing strips, and as a lifestyle that's been around and popular for over 30 years, I'd hardly call it a fad.
This discussion has been closed.