1ST HALF MARATHON

Options
HI!
I'm training for my first ever half marathon November 12... I have always liked running, but injured my knee in April, so I have to take this one slow and easy. I was wondering if there are any other people out there that may be training for their first half or full marathon too? Maybe we could be friends and encourage one another, keep each other motivated.... I am using a training program I found on Shape magazine's website, a 12 week run/walk program....

Replies

• Hunger4Fitness
    Options
    I did my first 1/2 marathon last year and I loved! Ran the Miami Beach Halloween Half Marathon in Oct, then ran the Fort Lauderdale 13.1, two week later. I used the Hal Higdon training [http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm] and it worked out great. I'm actually featured on this year's promo flyer for the 2011 Miami Beach Marathon

www.Hunger4Fitness.com
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first Half marathon on November the 5th. Yay!!!! I am so excited. It is the Rock N Roll Series. It is going to be awesome. I am sending a friend request.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Did my first half in may. My best advice is to give yourself some extra time, and go slow. You'll be fine, just listen to your body.

Edit:
    Oh yeah, you can't possibly pee enough before hand. Running 9 miles while you have to pee until you can finally get to a portapotty without a line is possibly the single most painful experience you can have.
  • bzr21
    bzr21 Posts: 13
    Options
    You read my mind. I have tried to train for the 1/2 marathon twice in the past 2 years, but have found myself losing motivation. I think it would be great to have someone to share this with and to motivate and be motivated by. Will you tell me where I can find the training schedule you are doing so that I can follow along?
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first 1/2 on Sept 24th in Sault Saint Marie, MI. It should be pretty amazing running across the locks to the Canadian border and back! I can't wait!
  • katnat0709
    Options
    I'm getting excited! I even have hot pink running shoes LOL!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just registered on Monday for a Thanksgiving Day half marathon. It will be my first 13.1!
    I will start training next week, since I've been running for 9 months now, I was going to follow Hal Higdon's half marathon training for intermediates program. Ive found his website (halhigdon.com) useful for training plans and information.

Happy Running!
  • bmfrazie
    Options

What brand? I need some new running shoes. My knee keeps hurting and I am thinking it might be time for a new pair. Plus hot pink shoes would be AMAZING! I have some Hot pink and black shorts that I love to run in.
  • katnat0709
    Options

What brand? I need some new running shoes. My knee keeps hurting and I am thinking it might be time for a new pair. Plus hot pink shoes would be AMAZING! I have some Hot pink and black shorts that I love to run in.

I got Adidas air something or others, from ****'s sporting goods. They are super light and comfy. They are hot pink with yellow and silver stripes (people make fun of me all the time for them, but I love 'em!)
  • katnat0709
    Options
    I just registered on Monday for a Thanksgiving Day half marathon. It will be my first 13.1!
    I will start training next week, since I've been running for 9 months now, I was going to follow Hal Higdon's half marathon training for intermediates program. Ive found his website (halhigdon.com) useful for training plans and information.

Happy Running!

Awesome! I am super excited!
  • bmfrazie
    Options

I got Adidas air something or others, from ****'s sporting goods. They are super light and comfy. They are hot pink with yellow and silver stripes (people make fun of me all the time for them, but I love 'em!)

Oh nice! Those sound great I use to have pair of Neon Yellow and blue adidas that everyone would make fun of but still to this day those are my fav running shoes EVER!!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of PURPLE and TURQUOISE Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11 for my half marathon training.

Inaugural run tomorrow AM!
  • flvsusandy
    flvsusandy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am also training for my first Half Marathon (with bjbikler) and am super excited! It's a little scary thinking about all the miles we will be running in the next few months but would love to help keep you accounatable. I have used the Hal Higdon's plan for my 15k coming up in September and it's great. I would suggest adding intervals to your training...it really helps with endurance.

Bethany, I am totall jealous of your shoes! :)
  • bzr21
    bzr21 Posts: 13
    Options
    I recently bought Brooks too and love them. I have had no problems with them. Completely worth the investment.
  • dk_runs
    dk_runs Posts: 106
    Options
    I am currently training to run in the Space Coast 1/2 Marathon on November 27th. I ran (and completed) it last year, but I am hoping to do better with my time this year. Good luck with your training!
  • katnat0709
    Options
    I just bought a pair of PURPLE and TURQUOISE Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11 for my half marathon training.

Inaugural run tomorrow AM!

If those are them in your picture, I LOVE them!
  • ardeornellis
    ardeornellis Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I too am traning for my first 1/2 marathon. I am using the Hal Higdon training program. I went straight into in from the C25K, which was a little ambitious..LOL, but I am running the Dallas White Rock Half Marathon in December.. I still can't imagine running that far, but it's going to happen...:) Can't wait!!
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    I just finished week 4 of a 10 week plan! I'm going to repeat a week and I don't have a race-just want to prove to myself I can do the plan!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    November 5th - Savannah RnR Half will be my first.... :)
  • katnat0709
    Options
    Week one of HM training was tough! Not so much physically, but just mentally! I couldn't get my head into ANY of the training runs... here's hoping for a better week this week....