Why can't I shed a few pounds?

Options
Ok, I've been doing the P90X for about 7 weeks. I watch what I eat and have been eating my exercise calories. Usually I burn anywhere from 300 to 400 calories per exercise and exercise at least 6 times a week for about an hour. Today I decided to up my exercise and burn at least 500 calories a day hoping that will help. Any other suggestions you could suggest I try?

109006.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

Replies

• FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've been doing the P90X for about 7 weeks. I watch what I eat and have been eating my exercise calories. Usually I burn anywhere from 300 to 400 calories per exercise and exercise at least 6 times a week for about an hour. Today I decided to up my exercise and burn at least 500 calories a day hoping that will help. Any other suggestions you could suggest I try?

109006.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • signedcutie
    Options
    Maybe try to not eat all the calories you burned during your workout. You may see faster results.
  • orkide
    orkide Posts: 20
    Options
    drink a lot of water and cut out diet soda, juice, coffee and dairy
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    If you're doing P90X, you're probably putting on muscle weight, which is a good thing. Are your clothes getting looser? Maybe you need to eat MORE calories. If you aren't getting enough, your body may think it's starving and be hanging on to the weight. It sound crazy, but I've heard of people losing by eating more.
  • aubs057
    aubs057 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising every day I would actually suggest cutting back a bit. Waiting a day between workouts and allowing your body to rest will help weight loss because it doesn't get used to the workouts as much. Hard workouts every day can actually lower the metabolism because your body adjusts faster and gets used to burning that much every day. If you give it a day to recoop, then each work out will be more effective and your metabolism will heighten. As much as it's good to exercise, the body needs rest too. Just an idea :)

I also agree that drinking lots of water helps, and you could also be gaining muscle mass. Remember that cardio workouts help lose weight, and weight training just tones the muscles. Good luck, I hope this helps!
  • FloridaGranny
    Options
    Ok - will try to add more cardio. I do drink plenty of water - already had my 8 cups today.... I've added more protein and vegetables to my diet. Coffee is probably my downfall. And I do have a Starbuck's latte every day - although I get the Skinny Vanilla. (nonfat milk and sugar free vanilla)

I was trying to stick to P90X routine but I think I just figured out today that maybe I should be doing more than one routine a day. So today I did Kenpo X and Core Syn. That was gruesome...

My clothes do fit better, but still when's the pounds come off????:sad:

I can't eat anymore! I feel stuffed all the time just keeping up with my exercise calories....

Thanks for all the suggestions! I read everyone's posts daily - but - am reluctant sometimes to join in the conversations. I'll try to do better!
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    If you look on the Beach Body comparison chart, P90x isn't a weight loss product. It's to "get you ripped" which I read as build muscle mass. It might not be the right workout for your current goal. You could always finish the rotation then move to a cardio/weight loss routine.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising every day I would actually suggest cutting back a bit. Waiting a day between workouts and allowing your body to rest will help weight loss because it doesn't get used to the workouts as much. Hard workouts every day can actually lower the metabolism because your body adjusts faster and gets used to burning that much every day. If you give it a day to recoop, then each work out will be more effective and your metabolism will heighten. As much as it's good to exercise, the body needs rest too. Just an idea :)

I also agree that drinking lots of water helps, and you could also be gaining muscle mass. Remember that cardio workouts help lose weight, and weight training just tones the muscles. Good luck, I hope this helps!

I read a comparison once-wish I saved the story.

It stated that doing the same workout each day is like the farmer who lifts bales of hay. At first he is struggling to lift the heavy bale. Then he can do it, he is just sore at the end of the day. After a while he just does it, with no pain and no struggle.

The muscle has adapted to his new routine. It went on to explain biologically how we are made to adapt to our current conditions.

Good luck...I might suggest you ask a close friend or family member if you 'look' any different.
    I have 2 friends
    both 5'2" tall
    both weight 110 pounds.
    One girl is a runner she is very thin, lean looking. I always want to tell her she is too thin

The 2nd girl does a variety of workouts. Run, ellip, Tae Bo, boot camps 2x month on the beach, weight lifting, yoga, pilates. You name it she will try it.
    She looks like she weighs 10 pounds more, but it is sculpted loveliness...healthy looking.

You might find that your friends think you look HOT!! Ask!!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • FloridaGranny
    Options
    I've been on this site for a couple of months, and I just now figured out how to read "new posts" to something I've written! I can be so d-u-m-b sometimes!

arewethereyet: thanks for the advise. My friend circle is small and they usually will tell me IF I ask, but they don't volunteer on there own!

I still enjoy this site better than the beach body site. I find it harder to use and to read; not as easy to get around on....