Question for Atkins folks

Options
Disclaimer: I have no opinion on Atkins one way or another, just a question:

I always saw MFP as a calorie tracker. How are the Atkins folks using this site? To track carbs? As a calorie tracker backup? Or just for the forums?

Just curious -- J

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I don't advocate this diet. . .but they probably go in and customize their diary settings to fit their nutritional needs. . as far as what they are following for a diet. . .
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I'm not on Atkins so I'm not 100% sure, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's NOT for the forums.
  • pgsongbird
    pgsongbird Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I follow a low carb diet and also limit my calories to 1500/day. Doing well--feeling great! MFP has been a big help to me to keep track! I'm Diabetic Type 2--so I use blood testing meter and strips to know which carbs send my blood sugar up. All grains do. Most starchy veggies and fruits do. So I limit myself to lots of high fiber veggies like red bell peppers, romaine, cauliflower, broccoli, almonds, black soy beans, avocado, small amount of onions, turnips, peppers, bok choy, mushrooms, kale, chard, etc. and just berries for fruit. Never felt so good in my whole life!
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

I always saw MFP as a calorie tracker. How are the Atkins folks using this site? To track carbs? As a calorie tracker backup? Or just for the forums?

Just curious -- J

new to atkins and i plan to count calories and eat low carb...dont want to eat more than 1750.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

Just curious -- J

I do not have an opinion on this diet one way or the other, but the calorie/carb tracker would seem to mae the most sense.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't follow Atkins specifically, though I do severely limit my carbs. I only eat meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, seeds, and vegetables. I don't limit my salt or fat (I eat salami, bacon, sausage, etc.) and I don't go over my calorie count almost ever because the food I eat actually fills me up and keeps me full. The main thing I look at, though, is carbohydrates. It's my experience that fat isn't what makes me fat--it's sugar and the resulting insulin spike.
  • pgsongbird
    pgsongbird Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh--and--I re-adjusted the settings in MFP to my carb limit of 40 carbs/day and 1500 calories. Been eating this way for years now--feel great and controlling blood sugar.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Not doing Atkins, but am doing low carb. I use it for the calorie tracker (no reason one can't be both low cal and low carb), macronutrient tracker, and the minimal micronutrient options. Plus the forums. Nice thing about MFP is that it is customizeable.
  • Susanxxxx
    Susanxxxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    go to food diary, go to goals, go to custom, then set ur carbs to 5%, protein to 30% and fat to 65%
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I'm not on Atkins so I'm not 100% sure, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's NOT for the forums.

BULL! We are so helpful, all the time!
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

BULL! We are so helpful, all the time!

heck yeah we are!!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I don't "do" Atkins but I eat very low carb for medical reasons. I take no offense to all the Atkinsisawfuldoomandgloomers. I use MFP to track calories and carbs (as well as fiber/sodium/protien/fat etc). I limit carbs AND calories though, which Atkins doesn't do strictly. I use Atkins basically as a food guide/idea giver.

I've been with MFP since 2008, and I've seen the forums change a LOT since then. Lets just say I used to come for the foums :D

I also use the mobile app/weight tracker tools. I've never found a better website for tracking!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Just curious -- J

Some people track calories and carbs. Some just carbs............

I use MFP to track my ratios to ensure that my fat is between 60-70%, protein is between 20-30% and carbs stay between 0-15% typically.

That is why so many people like this site because as it states on the front of the stie before you create your account it is adaptable to ANY lifestyle.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I use it for everything you mentioned! I started off on MFP sticking to 1200 calories day and have just recently started Atkins so I am continuing to use the calorie tracker for carbs and calories and I love browsing the forums for tips and advice.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Just curious -- J

I track my net carbs. I set my diary to track carbs, fiber, sugar, protein and fat. I can't take the calorie catagory off, must be a default. Which is fine, because I can peek at how many calories I'm eating too. I don't track calories, but eating Atkins low carb, I've been anywhere from 1200-1600 a day.