Muscle building help

Options
Need some ideas for new workout routine to build muscle fast for a 6'2 255lb man who doesn't want to weigh less then 245. Any ideas? Though I have lost weight, am stronger and can feel that my arms are toner I still do not have the "muscle cuts" or the "flashy" muscles. I know it takes time but want to see quicker results. Should i loose more weight? This is my work out routine lately.

Mon- biceps, abs and 40 mins of cardio
Tues - shoulder and legs. 40 mins of cardio
Wed- chest, abs. Yoga
Thur - shoulder 40 mins of cardio
Friday chest abs. Cardio

Is that too much? Any advice?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you want to see the "muscle cuts" you have to drop fat. Try this plan to help with quicker results. You'll drop fat to see the muscles better and you'll build muscle fast. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-labrada-12-week-lean-body-trainer.html
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    well can't cut and bulk at the same time so pick a goal. if you want to look rip then you will lose some weight and strength. adding size the right way is a layering process..bulk and cut bulk and cut. that is why most BBers bulk when not show season then cut 12 weeks before a show.
    that being said, there are no short cuts unless you wanna do PHs or roids but since you dont have your weight training down or your eating habits I would advise against roids since you will just screw up your hormones and your sex drive.

lookig at your routine it honestly blows from a weight training prospective. being able to do 40 mins of cardio on leg day tells me you are not giving your all on leg day. where is triceps? are you squatting? deadlifting? any olympic lifts? what is your rep/rest rate? chest and biceps are beach muscles..do very little for strength..triceps and shoulders make big bench marks.

do more research on google..maybe go join a forum geared toward weightlifting.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If you want to see the "muscle cuts" you have to drop fat. Try this plan to help with quicker results. You'll drop fat to see the muscles better and you'll build muscle fast. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-labrada-12-week-lean-body-trainer.html

Works great for Lee cause he is a monster..this is why folks get sold on workout like this. there is no 12 week program to build a ton of muscle..you will drop some body fat so you show what you go now but you wont build build crap in 12 weeks. to build 5 lbs of lean muscle mass it can take a year.
    Diet is also key to building..lots of protein, good fats.
  • sergescourge
    sergescourge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to add Back Exercises in there. Lats help with the ol' "V" shape.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Need some ideas for new workout routine to build muscle fast for a 6'2 255lb man who doesn't want to weigh less then 245. Any ideas? Though I have lost weight, am stronger and can feel that my arms are toner I still do not have the "muscle cuts" or the "flashy" muscles. I know it takes time but want to see quicker results. Should i loose more weight? This is my work out routine lately.

Mon- biceps, abs and 40 mins of cardio
    Tues - shoulder and legs. 40 mins of cardio
    Wed- chest, abs. Yoga
    Thur - shoulder 40 mins of cardio
    Friday chest abs. Cardio

Is that too much? Any advice?

Not really too much, just a bit chaotic. I hate splits, and isolation excersises.

Find a program with a bit more structure ... 5x5 strong lift comes to mind, and West side for Skinney *kitten* is also a fine beginner program.

Throw a rest day or four in there too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Can't build and cut at the same time. Gotta pick one or the other. You program lacks one of the biggest muscles in the body........back.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Ya, you can maybe maintain your muscle while losing fat, but you won't build more muscle and see a tremendous fat loss. I promise you... I've tried both ways. You either need to focus on Weights to build a very solid muscle mass and, therefore, do less cardio.... OR focus on fat loss, get your body fat % way down and then start "bulking" your muscle on a calorie surplus. You probably know this, but you need to be knockin' back the protein as well w/ healthy fats. I'd recommend checking out bodybuilding.com because this site is much more geared towards weight loss.

My personal opinion is that you need to have a solid lifting routine, but still eat at a calorie deficit and do plenty of cardio in order to get your body fat % down. Thats the only way you'll get 'cut'. Once the muscles are poppin, then you can think about adding mass and going into a calorie surplus to build up from. BTW, I'm a 6ft, 171 (lost 27 lbs of both fat and muscle) and I'm eating 2200 to 2900 cals a day trying now to start the muscle building phase. My fat continues to burn off as my muscle mass VERY slowly grows. But I had to get to this point before I started eating way more... and my body def needs it. At 2000-2500 cals a day, I was still losing weight.

I hope that helps and feel free to add me. Bodybuilding.com is a great site, but it could possibly only confuse you more. As always, you have to wonder through the bad ideas to find the important/good ones.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I screwed up. That was my old workout routine. That's not my current. This is what I do.

Mon - biceps, triceps abs 40 min cardio
    Tues - shoulders and legs ( light bike just to warm the body up)
    Wed - chest and back then yoga with the g/f
    Thur- shoulders triceps abs 40 min cardio
    Fri- chest and back 40 min cardio

How does that sound? Yes I understand that I can't be lean and cut and build at the same time. I def will not use steroids and do not want to be a big body builder. Just want to find a happy medium.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Options
    I like your answer the best. Makes a lot of sense. I guess I have a fear of being "skinny". I do not want to go down under 200 but know I would have to make some sacrifices in the beginning in order to see the gains later.
    Ya, you can maybe maintain your muscle while losing fat, but you won't build more muscle and see a tremendous fat loss. I promise you... I've tried both ways. You either need to focus on Weights to build a very solid muscle mass and, therefore, do less cardio.... OR focus on fat loss, get your body fat % way down and then start "bulking" your muscle on a calorie surplus. You probably know this, but you need to be knockin' back the protein as well w/ healthy fats. I'd recommend checking out bodybuilding.com because this site is much more geared towards weight loss.

My personal opinion is that you need to have a solid lifting routine, but still eat at a calorie deficit and do plenty of cardio in order to get your body fat % down. Thats the only way you'll get 'cut'. Once the muscles are poppin, then you can think about adding mass and going into a calorie surplus to build up from. BTW, I'm a 6ft, 171 (lost 27 lbs of both fat and muscle) and I'm eating 2200 to 2900 cals a day trying now to start the muscle building phase. My fat continues to burn off as my muscle mass VERY slowly grows. But I had to get to this point before I started eating way more... and my body def needs it. At 2000-2500 cals a day, I was still losing weight.

I hope that helps and feel free to add me. Bodybuilding.com is a great site, but it could possibly only confuse you more. As always, you have to wonder through the bad ideas to find the important/good ones.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Options
    Thanks for the information! The information looks good
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I def need to pick a goal but also need to realize that it's not going to happen over night.[

quote]
    well can't cut and bulk at the same time so pick a goal. if you want to look rip then you will lose some weight and strength. adding size the right way is a layering process..bulk and cut bulk and cut. that is why most BBers bulk when not show season then cut 12 weeks before a show.
    that being said, there are no short cuts unless you wanna do PHs or roids but since you dont have your weight training down or your eating habits I would advise against roids since you will just screw up your hormones and your sex drive.

lookig at your routine it honestly blows from a weight training prospective. being able to do 40 mins of cardio on leg day tells me you are not giving your all on leg day. where is triceps? are you squatting? deadlifting? any olympic lifts? what is your rep/rest rate? chest and biceps are beach muscles..do very little for strength..triceps and shoulders make big bench marks.

do more research on google..maybe go join a forum geared toward weightlifting.
    [/quote]
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I screwed up. That was my old workout routine. That's not my current. This is what I do.

How does that sound? Yes I understand that I can't be lean and cut and build at the same time. I def will not use steroids and do not want to be a big body builder. Just want to find a happy medium.

It looks OK. Its not what I would do, but I don't expect everyone to do what I would do either. The only change I would make is to not do chest and back on the same days. There are so many different muscles within your back and so many angles you should hit your chest w/ that its alot of total reps (and alot of stress). I do 1-3 muscle groups a day and each muscle group only once a week so that I can max them out w/ plenty of recovery, but again... see if what you have works and switch it up if not. Its hard to critique because you'll figure more of it out as you go along. I didn't have a clue to begin with either, but over a month or so it became pretty clear... Just continue researching it outside of MFP, try to use complex exercises w/ free weights, try to max out your weights, eat TONS of protein, and I'd suggest mixing some HIIT in instead of the cardio once in awhile.

You'll get alot of lifters telling you to do no cardio (or not nearly as much as you're doing), but whatever... something well balanced is all you need at this point. Once the BF % gets down then you can dig into the really heavy lifting. I'd just say to be careful w/ the cardio so that you're not burning too much muscle.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Options

It looks OK. Its not what I would do, but I don't expect everyone to do what I would do either. The only change I would make is to not do chest and back on the same days. There are so many different muscles within your back and so many angles you should hit your chest w/ that its alot of total reps (and alot of stress). I do 1-3 muscle groups a day and each muscle group only once a week so that I can max them out w/ plenty of recovery, but again... see if what you have works and switch it up if not. Its hard to critique because you'll figure more of it out as you go along. I didn't have a clue to begin with either, but over a month or so it became pretty clear... Just continue researching it outside of MFP, try to use complex exercises w/ free weights, try to max out your weights, eat TONS of protein, and I'd suggest mixing some HIIT in instead of the cardio once in awhile.

You'll get alot of lifters telling you to do no cardio (or not nearly as much as you're doing), but whatever... something well balanced is all you need at this point. Once the BF % gets down then you can dig into the really heavy lifting. I'd just say to be careful w/ the cardio so that you're not burning too much muscle.

Thanks for the Advice. I thought about my Chest and Back routine and wasn't sure if I should do both at the same time or not. Unfortunately i wasn't thinking of muscle groups when doing my work out but more of where each body part is located. Weird I know. Ill def switch things up and get some more HIIT in. I use to when I did P90X for a while but haven't in a while.
    Thanks again.