Like nails on a chalkboard...

Options
This quote is like nails on a chalkboard when I hear people using it for motivation...I cringe everytime I hear it.

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels."

Why don't we try something different... "Nothing tastes as good as FIT feels"... or how about "There is no donut in this world that is as good as the way I feel when I'm a machine in the gym."

Replies

• Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I like your thinking!!! :)
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Agree!
  • PandaofDestruction
    Options
    It makes an OBESE person like me feel better! Any encouragement is great :) as I am not able to be a MACHINE AT THE GYM yet!
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I always hated that quote too - they used it alot at WW. I have a niece who suffered from anorexia when she was in college, and I think that quote almost encourages that way of thinking. We need food to live. Food should taste good. It's when it's excessive, unnatural, and unhealthy that it's a problem.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    But what would the anorexic girls chant?!
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The only reason why this is bothersome to you is because you are thin and in shape- which is wonderful, for people who LOVE food and have issues with food, this may help them. So ok..Nothing tastes as good as FIT feels is fine, but the "machine in the gym" I am not to that point to be a "machine" on really anything as I am Obese and trying to make myself able to just walk at least two miles....Good luck with your psychology degree!

My dislike of this quote has nothing to do with me being FIT (I don't call myself thin... EVER) so please don't try to create a reason for why I would like or dislike something.

My dislike for it is just what other women have said... pro ana. Someone can be thin, but it doesn't mean they are healthy on the inside. IN FACT, my dislike of this quote is in support of those who are aesthically fit AND those who may not be lean and 'small' (by the general population's standard). It is in support of being fit AND healthy on the inside and eventually the outside as well.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • SarahNicole317
    Options
    I always hated that quote too - they used it alot at WW. I have a niece who suffered from anorexia when she was in college, and I think that quote almost encourages that way of thinking. We need food to live. Food should taste good. It's when it's excessive, unnatural, and unhealthy that it's a problem.

Thank you! Just what I was getting at, but I didn't want people to think I was stereotyping.
  • PandaofDestruction
    Options
    No stereotyping, but do you know what life is like to be Morbidly Obese? Have people stereotype you? (ie: Lazy, unhealthy...etc.) I do know what it is like, and if you read my post, I said the "nothing tastes better than FIT feels" is all fine and good, I am NOT able to be a "Machine in the Gym" yet...I removed my post and re-worded it...honestly this website is to encourage people, and I shouldn't have said what I did, but it is very difficult to be obese and trying to make a change, and have people who are FIT and HEALTHY, as you put it, talk about what people's motivation "should" be...If someone ever called me "thin" I may cry on the spot! So thin works for me.......but I am trying to go about it in a healthy manner.
  • SarahNicole317
    Options
    Yeah... I did see your post. Again, don't speak to me as if you know me.

Do you know that I've never been overweight?

I've been a trainer for quite some time and my interest lies in motivating people... all people. I've worked with a variety of populations... and I've been incredibly successful with each individual person.

I continue to be on your side, but you continue to not see that so we can agree to disagree.
  • PandaofDestruction
    Options
    Yeah...agree to disagree....I am glad that you are in the business of motivating people, that is great! Also...I did say that I was wrong for the prior post and edited what I said.....I can admit that I was wrong. I hope you have a nice day and wish you all the best on your fitness journey.