Cheat days...

Options
Do you guys do it and how often haha :)

oh and what do you NEED to eat these days

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I do it basically whenever I feel like it, but no more often than once a week. But I don't necessarily do it every single week, either :) I usually do "cheat" meals, as well, not a whole day. I feel really crappy when I eat badly the whole day. It makes me feel poopy and sick to my tummy.

Oh and assuming by need you mean what cheat foods do I like, I just usually end up with whatever I'm craving. Sometimes it's just a couple of lollipops or airheads, sometimes it's something salty, and sometimes it's just outright horrible (yesterday I had McDonald's! lol) I wouldn't recommend anything too heavy though, because I felt like CRAP after eating McD's. I felt so sick. Bleh D:
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    First off, nice new MFP avatar, you're gorgeous! :)

And yes I have my cheat meals here & there.. not really a cheat day.. can't be too hard on yourself right? Lol. I really have a love for vietnamese spicy pho shrimp noodle soup.. super high in sodium and carbs so it's not a good thing but I believe whatever it is you're craving for, and you worked so hard during the week and keep maintaining a healthier lifestyle.. why not have a cheat meal once in a while? as long as you get back on track!! :)
  • noneyobusiness
    Options
    I try and allow myself at least one cheat day a week.
    That day is usually when I'm going out with my friends and I have some alcohol. Weeelll...a little more alcohol than I should have, hahaha. But on days like those (when I know exactly what I want to "cheat" with) I still try and keep everything else pretty balanced just so I don't end up going overboard, ya know?
    And one bad day of eating isn't going to ruin everything as long as you try not to go over maybe 2,000 calories (that's my limit on cheat days anyways!)
  • curryinahurry
    curryinahurry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I agree with Britt cheat meals would be better for me too.

I'd hate to blow the whole day ...

Try to have whatever you what in moderation!
  • pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    First off, nice new MFP avatar, you're gorgeous! :)

And yes I have my cheat meals here & there.. not really a cheat day.. can't be too hard on yourself right? Lol. I really have a love for vietnamese spicy pho shrimp noodle soup.. super high in sodium and carbs so it's not a good thing but I believe whatever it is you're craving for, and you worked so hard during the week and keep maintaining a healthier lifestyle.. why not have a cheat meal once in a while? as long as you get back on track!! :)

Thank you :)
    And I love pho too but the sodium does scare me...I realized I'm a sodium addict haha.
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    i don't do it.. i try to incorporate treats into my every day calaoric allotment so that i don't binge on a 'cheat day'. i keep a bag of dark chocolate hershey kisses at my desk, as well as planter's Flavor Grove almonds - caramel vanilla flavored. if i want something salty, i'll have some special k cracker-chips or a mozzerella string cheese.

granted, there are some days that i want a "real" treat. if there are cookies or pie around, i'll have half and see if my craving goes away.. i always add it into my calories, and then just exercise a few extra minutes to make up for it :)
  • NicoleLauren17
    NicoleLauren17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do one serious cheat day a month... But even on that day I typically only eat one bad meal. For example, I'll have a healthy breakfast and lunch and then go somewhere like Olive Garden for dinner and eat whatever I want. And then if there's something I've been seriously craving.. like a jumbo lemon poppy seed muffin lol.. I'll eat it on that day too!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I do one serious cheat day a month... But even on that day I typically only eat one bad meal. For example, I'll have a healthy breakfast and lunch and then go somewhere like Olive Garden for dinner and eat whatever I want. And then if there's something I've been seriously craving.. like a jumbo lemon poppy seed muffin lol.. I'll eat it on that day too!

For some reason the thought of that muffin made me gag...maybe it's because I don't like lemon flavored things. lol
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i was on here for 3 month, and I never took a cheat day... then one day I just broke down. I ate 5500+ calories... and it did not stop there. I had about 3 weeks of eating over 3,000 calories a day (I was till exercising), but I totally went off the "trying to stay under" thing... I had a CHEAT MONTH! and honestly... I gained 1 pound... which I lost after 3 days of going back to my diet lol :P ! I am in favor babby
  • Nicolasina
    Options
    I'm pretty new to this site but not to losing weight. I've found having a 'cheat day" every so often has been effective. I have had a craving for Red Lobster's Coconut shrimp and they are calorie heavy.While I'm ther ofcourse I will also have a cheddar bay biscuit. :) Even when I have splurged I have lost weight those weeks.

So I think that as long as you stick to eating wisely the rest of your week a cheat day every week or two weeks will not hurt your weight loss results.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I think cheat meals/days are important: (a) so you know you're going to get to eat your favorite foods (in moderation) at least sometimes; and (b) to trick your body. I usually have at least one cheat meal a week, sometimes two. the purpose of a cheat meal is to eat something you're jonsing for, but do so in some degree of moderation. a cheat meal IS NOT gorging yourself by downing an entire pizza. its eating your favorite food in a reasonable portion.

some eating plans look something like this....let's say you should eat 1,300 calories a day to lose weight. the plan might suggest you eat 1,200 calories 6 days a week and 1,900 calories the other day. you're still averaging 1,300 calories/day, but you've tricked your body with your "feed" day. in fact, I believe one plan suggests something a little more drastic with 1,100 calories/day for those 6 days and 2,500 calories on the 7th day to create a real difference. I don't necessarily do this, but I'm fine if I go over my calories on my cheat day.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I have 'cheated' through my whole MFP journey but like everyone has said before it's a meal/evening rather than a day. Mine normally occur for special occasions, weddings, evenings out, social nights drinking etc. I'll probably cheat 1 - 2 times per week. BUT I wont go all out and have whatever the heck I like, I will make as many low cal decisions as possible though I can go the odd thousand over my target (normally thanks to alcohol). As someone also mentioned I believe it tricks the body and it has in no way hindered my weekly weight loss progress. I was on holiday a couple of weeks ago (and off again next week) and ate more than I had since starting MFP and I just could not wait to get back on the wagon as I ended feeling so grim!

My diary is open to feel free to have a look or add me, tomorrow I'm at wedding - you can see first hand!!! ; )
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Fridays are my cheat days. My husband and I go to a local pizza place that has authentic Italian pizza. BEST PIZZA EVER!!! I always eat the same thing - 2 slices of cheese pizza. I never go overboard on anything and I'm full after eating those two slices with water. My mouth is watering thinking about it now, ha ha! God, I love Italian food - it's my must have. I think I would go on a killing spree if I was denied Italian food for an extended period of time. (she says with a smile)
    Do you guys do it and how often haha :)

oh and what do you NEED to eat these days