Calling all vegans

Options
Ghlt4
Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
I need some recommendation on how to lower my carbs while increasing my calories. Any suggestions?

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    drink cups of oil?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Avocado, coconou oil.............Stir fry all vegetables in coconut oil. Get at least 4 tablespoons per day.

i am not a vegan, but coconut is very healthy, has lots of health benefits and will help you keep full and your body feeling satisfied while reeping huge health benefits.

Also hemp protein with coconut milk.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are trying to reduce carbs? Healthy carbs in the forms of vegetables, fruits, legumes and whole grains are good for you and shouldn't need to be limited. I try to avoid any added oils. If you are looking for healthy fats, I suggest avocados, nuts and seeds.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    I started a vegan diet 2 months ago. I did it to lower my cholesterol. I was tested yesterday, and was devastated to find they had gone higher than ever before. I spoke with Dr Esselstyn yesterday (author of Reverse heart disease) and he said as my TG's had raised so much, that was consistent with too many carbs:((((

On a happy note, my husband has been doing the same and his TC reading was amazing!!!! So it worked for him!!!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I started a vegan diet 2 months ago. I did it to lower my cholesterol. I was tested yesterday, and was devastated to find they had gone higher than ever before. I spoke with Dr Esselstyn yesterday (author of Reverse heart disease) and he said as my TG's had raised so much, that was consistent with too many carbs:((((

On a happy note, my husband has been doing the same and his TC reading was amazing!!!! So it worked for him!!!

Yes, eating fat and cholesterol lowers your cholesterol because your body has to make less and also lowers Triglycerides. There is a direct correlation of excess carb intake and high cholesterol numbers.

I don't know how to get cholesterol in your body because butter and eggs are animal products.
  • greenhappyheart
    greenhappyheart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    i eat nuts and seeds (especially pumpkins, flax, hemp etc)
    tofu
    quinoa
    very little rice or pasta (always wholemeal) - instead i have lentils (any colours they come), beans.
    a favourite: vegetable smoothie (shallot + garlic + beetroot + cucumber + green pepper + watercress/spinach/rocket etc. + half avocado + tinned chopped toms or passata + tbsp balsamic vinegar + chilli paste + little salt & pepper.
    enjoy!
  • Pangui
    Options

How awesome that you spoke with Dr. Esselstyn!! I would find a way to ask him rather than consult with us "know-it-alls" on the message boards. Perhaps you were eating too many refined carbs like white pasta and rice? Or perhaps too much bread? I would try and fit in more fresh veggies and fruits.

I started this diet in June as well. Unfortunately, I didn't get my blood levels checked beforehand, but they were checked in late July. My cholesterol was about 160. My triglycerides were average, but borderline. My fasting blood sugar was good (I was afraid I might be pre-diabetic). I did some research and read that high TGs were related to obesity, being female and using birth control. I fit all of those descriptions. I intend to stick with my approach, but if you get an answer from the Dr., I would love to hear it.

By the way, it's working great for my husband too. He is now off of his BP medication and will likely ditch all of the others eventually.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Agreed with above. Pumpkin seeds are yummy, nuts, nut butter on celery or carrots, tahini, sun flower seeds, tempeh, tofu, smoothies with hemp protein. Is there any difference in carbs from fruits/veggies/whole grains and those in processed foods?
  • Ghlt4
    Options

How awesome that you spoke with Dr. Esselstyn!! I would find a way to ask him rather than consult with us "know-it-alls" on the message boards. Perhaps you were eating too many refined carbs like white pasta and rice? Or perhaps too much bread? I would try and fit in more fresh veggies and fruits.

I started this diet in June as well. Unfortunately, I didn't get my blood levels checked beforehand, but they were checked in late July. My cholesterol was about 160. My triglycerides were average, but borderline. My fasting blood sugar was good (I was afraid I might be pre-diabetic). I did some research and read that high TGs were related to obesity, being female and using birth control. I fit all of those descriptions. I intend to stick with my approach, but if you get an answer from the Dr., I would love to hear it.

By the way, it's working great for my husband too. He is now off of his BP medication and will likely ditch all of the others eventually.

It was lovely to talk with him. He said to stay away from flour, and pasta. We made our own bread and I didn't eat pasta!! I can cut out the bread no problem, but I wasn't eating that much to begin with. I am not eating processed food or any refined sugar.

Along with my husband, I have a few friends who are doing this too and their cholesterol has dropped a lot too. So it is just me having this problem. I don' t know if it was because I was on a lower carb diet before I started this and my body does not like the higher carb content. I will do as he says, and have kept within my goals, but my calories are really low.
  • Pangui
    Options
    Is there any difference in carbs from fruits/veggies/whole grains and those in processed foods?

Good point! I'd like to make a guess and believe that if you consume too many processed carbs rather than whole grains and fresh veggies, then you are filling yourself with empty calories that do not contribute to your health or nutrition. Consuming the other type of carbs provides your body with the nutrients and fiber it needs to heal itself and fight disease. I think if we give our bodies the highest quality ingredients, they will regulate all of our blood levels to optimal.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    Is there any difference in carbs from fruits/veggies/whole grains and those in processed foods?

Good point! I'd like to make a guess and believe that if you consume too many processed carbs rather than whole grains and fresh veggies, then you are filling yourself with empty calories that do not contribute to your health or nutrition. Consuming the other type of carbs provides your body with the nutrients and fiber it needs to heal itself and fight disease. I think if we give our bodies the highest quality ingredients, they will regulate all of our blood levels to optimal.

The carbs in processed food are simple carbs, because they have been stripped of their nutrients. I have not eaten any processed food!! I have eaten Organic whole grains, legumes, fruits and veggies.

I think I may add in nuts.
  • dreanance
    Options
    Would homemade vegan mayo and tofu be ok for you? I made the most amazing "tofu salad" yesterday. Homemade vegan mayo, baked tofu, celery, red onion, raisins, cashews. I had it on sprouted bread but it would be awesome just on a spinach salad.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    Would homemade vegan mayo and tofu be ok for you? I made the most amazing "tofu salad" yesterday. Homemade vegan mayo, baked tofu, celery, red onion, raisins, cashews. I had it on sprouted bread but it would be awesome just on a spinach salad.

That sounds great. The sprouted bread, is that the Ezekial bread? I love that bread!
    How did you bake the tofu?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

That's cool that you spoke with Dr. Esselstyn. I met his son, Rip, when I attended a speaking engagement. Like others have said, whole grains are the way to go - brown rice, barley, stuff like that. Quinoa is good. I try to have 1/4 an avocado at least four times a week. Pumpkin, sunflower, and sesame seeds are good additions. Tahini is good, too - it can be easily mixed with just plain old water to make a sauce for greens or whatever. Don't go overboard with fats, but a little good whole fat each day is healthy and ups your calories.
  • dreanance
    Options
    Yes the Ezikiel. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE that bread. As for the tofu, if I'm in a hurry I get the pre baked stuff from trader joes, otherwise I use something like this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/asian-style-savory-baked-tofu-81284

Even my husband liked the salad and he hates real mayo based salads. I'll make a vegan of him yet ;)