Who eats for their blood type?

Options
Hello :) I went to a nutritionalist today and she suggested I start eating for my blood type (which is type B) and I was just wondering who else out there does this? Could you tell me what your experience has been like? What can I expect? Do you have any advice for a newb like me? Thanks so much :)

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what that means or how Type O blood should eat.
  • idwoof
    idwoof Posts: 76
    Options
    I have never heard of that. But I would be very interested to see what they suggest for the different blood types.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I read the book about 6 or 7 months ago, and being an O blood type means that I should be eating a diet consisting of a good portion of meat. Being male, I pretty much did this anyway, but I noticed that while going through the list of foods, that i was already drawn and liked most of the things that were on my 'Approved' list. I know I've been paying attention to what my body tells me more than anything and it's been a gradual process, but one that has helped me be more energetic and just happier overall.

PS: Anybody who's really interested should pick up the book, "Eat Right for your Blood Type," Or just check out this site:

http://www.dadamo.com/
  • kheavin0928
    kheavin0928 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that either....as I tell my students, sounds like something to research! :)
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Was your nutritionist a clinical certified nutritionist? Because I'm a nutritionist, and I know in our hospital we condone that diet, as it has been scientifically disproven over and over again in numerous studies. All of the diet plans are good and healthy plans based on whole foods and lean meats, but being specific to a blood type is completely untrue.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Nutrionists don't need degrees in nutrition. I don't listen to anything they say. You should talk to a registered dietitian (who has to do continuing education to maintain their registration). Fitness trainers don't need degrees in nutrition either.

So, I don't buy that until I see it coming from someone who has the credentials and education to back up their facts. I would ask the nutritionist where she/he got that information. If it's legit, they should have some articles from professional and reputable journals to back up their ideas.
  • dayzeerock
    Options
    Nutrionists don't need degrees in nutrition. I don't listen to anything they say. You should talk to a registered dietitian (who has to do continuing education to maintain their registration). Fitness trainers don't need degrees in nutrition either.

So, I don't buy that until I see it coming from someone who has the credentials and education to back up their facts. I would ask the nutritionist where she/he got that information. If it's legit, they should have some articles from professional and reputable journals to back up their ideas.

Ummmmm really? I went to school for 7 years to get a Masters in Nutrition. I don't know of any medical facility that would hire someone who did not have a degree in nutrition.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    that's new one to me! Never heard of such a thing!
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    So those forunate AB+ (universal recipients) people can eat anyting? :laugh:
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Dracula would love this question, lol........."I vant to drink your blood"
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    I see a nutropath and she suggested the same thing. I do follow it, but I use it more as a guideline than a strict plan...
    I guess the theory behind it is that different blood types require differnt types of fuel to run at their best efficiency.
    My experience is that eating for my blood type helps me digest food easier and gives me increased energy.

O blood types (my type) for example have slower metabolisms so they shouldn't eat that much broccoli because broccoli affects your thyroid... or so says my nutropath.

Either way, I say give it a try and see if you like it! :)
  • julietsingleton
    julietsingleton Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Dracula would love this question, lol........."I vant to drink your blood"

LOL funny X
  • wriglucy
    Options

Ummmmm really? I went to school for 7 years to get a Masters in Nutrition. I don't know of any medical facility that would hire someone who did not have a degree in nutrition.

Some people do need degrees. I didn't mean to offend anyone. But, coming from WI, my mom is a registered dietician, and has dealt with people who call themselves nutritionists without degrees. That's awesome that you got your masters in nutrition! My point....was that I guess maybe it depends where you come from, or where the nutritionist works, that not all of them need degrees. I trust those who can back up their claims with education...I have no problem with them. But I have run into many on here (or people that go to them on here) that don't have degrees or any education to back their claims.

So...sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to. I guess I should have said something more like people need to do more research on their own and on the people that they listen to in order to make educated decisions on their own.
  • dayzeerock
    Options

Some people do need degrees. I didn't mean to offend anyone. But, coming from WI, my mom is a registered dietician, and has dealt with people who call themselves nutritionists without degrees. That's awesome that you got your masters in nutrition! My point....was that I guess maybe it depends where you come from, or where the nutritionist works, that not all of them need degrees. I trust those who can back up their claims with education...I have no problem with them. But I have run into many on here (or people that go to them on here) that don't have degrees or any education to back their claims.

So...sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to. I guess I should have said something more like people need to do more research on their own and on the people that they listen to in order to make educated decisions on their own.

Where is your mom? I am in Madison, WI.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    There have been no proven benefits to "eating for your blood type". I think some cleaver person came up with a way to make some cash through questionable (at best) science.
  • wriglucy
    Options

Where is your mom? I am in Madison, WI.

Just want to clarify for all reading ....but we talked about this, and we think it's the bad reputation that weight watchers and jenny craig and some gyms have protrayed. Also, it TOTALLY depends on where you go! Hospitals and any legit medical facility will not hire people without degrees......but be careful and just check the credentials and validity of places you go to see nutritionists. Those that have degrees and have studied nutrition, are very helpful, and I am sure they will gladly answer your questions when you ask about their educational background :)
  • NineInchGirl
    Options
    Hey baby girl!
    I heard of this agessssss ago! And i read so much about it...and in the end it does make sense!
    I think you should check into it!
    Im in if ur in twinkie <3

muahhhhhhhh
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    We did this for my husband, when the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong, after a year of tests. We had a book, and followed it until the gastroenterologist, thought it could be celiac disease, we went GF. Two years later found out this not to be true...sucked. I think trying it won't hurt! Just eat cleaner, and GL