sugar and carbs oh my

so I have started eating more fruit and vegetables in my diet since last month. Since adding these i have been going over my sugars and sometimes my carbs. while i do eat some processed food most of the increase is coming from these fruits and vegetables. I am not losing any weight and have been at a plataeu from a while now. is this consumption bad even though it is mostly coming from healthy foods? As long as i am within my calories shouldnt i lose weight? my diary is open so feel free to look and offer advice.

Replies

• I ask the same question last night, alas there was no answer, just people saying they were confused by the same thing. Personally I am gonna keep eating the fruits and veggies and the heck with the numbers on that.
  • I agree - you can't go wrong eating natural fruits and vegetables. My only advice is to eat those high in fiber! Like apples, oranges, and berries. Stay away from grapes - they are all sugar!!
  • I am in the same boat. I don't really lose weight, though I'm eating healthy. I guess it's my age (metabolism slower) and the fact that I'm a diabetic. I understand insulin plays a part in weight loss or lack of weight loss.... Ugh...
  • I as always told to balance these with proteins like nuts and whole grains. Fruits are very high in sugar, even though it's natural sugar. You get some nutritional value of course, but you can't ignore the high sugar/carb value.
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    I noticed you're usually under your calorie goal by a lot. That might have more to do with it than the fruit. Maybe trying eating more? so you are closer to your goal? Lots of people say once they start eating more they weight comes off.
  • You are under your calories alot, but you also have been eating icecream, cookies and corn on a daily basis. I don't know for sure, but those might be stalling you. They are all Carbs. Just a guess...
  • hamiltf
    hamiltf Posts: 5
    I wouldnt worry TOO much about the sugar but I did notice that you are eating a lot of fruit each day. I would try and replace some of the fruit with nuts (which would help with increasing your calorie intake) and other vegetables. Try keep your fruit intake to maybe 2 servings- keeping in mind that sometimes larger items like a banana can count as 2 servings. Also like someone else said, try keeping high sugar fruits like grapes, melons, mango, pineapple to a minimum! Hope this helps!
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    One thing i noticed in your diary is that you haven't logged your water intake..are you drinking enough water throughout the day? I get my carbs from fruits and veggies. i try and avoid all grains due to allergies but am able to have a serving once or twice a week. but its easier for me just to avoid them all together. i have been adjusting my fruit/carb intake over the past couple of weeks trying to find a combination that will get the scale to move. I love bananas but don't have them everyday.

10238648.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    I noticed you're usually under your calorie goal by a lot. That might have more to do with it than the fruit. Maybe trying eating more? so you are closer to your goal? Lots of people say once they start eating more they weight comes off.

i posted before about not being able to lose weight and alot of people told me i needed to eat more. i tried that for 2 days and felt too full. i am not going to eat when i am not hungry (that just seems silly) and now that i am eating better food choices i can eat way more for less calories. i also have a very busy day and dont always get the chance to eat right away. i usually try to bring healthy options with me wherever i go but if i do not have something i sometimes opt to wait instead of eating unhealthy food. i just dont get it. i work out and eat healthy and the scale does NOT move. i weigh the same as when i was eating cheeseburgers and fries all of the time so i sometimes wonder what is the point. my measerments do not change either. i have noticed i am more toned but that is it.
  • ugh that is another thing. I stated this whole thing because i went to a fitness thing where they measured my Metabolic rate using an oxygen mask and lots of science that is beyond my pay grade. Long story short they told me to eat 1750 calories a day... up from the 1200 I had been told for years and years and years to eat. It is KILLING me to try to get in 1750 healthy calories a day. Sure I could grab a tub of ice cream and go to town, but I am trying to make wise choices.
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    I've heard from a lot of people they think the sugar numbers MFP gives are really low. I find if I have a yogurt and a bit of fruit I'm straight away over my sugar. I'm still losing though, so I don't worry too much about it (so long as its not from ice cream or chocolate or something).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    i posted before about not being able to lose weight and alot of people told me i needed to eat more. i tried that for 2 days and felt too full. i am not going to eat when i am not hungry (that just seems silly) and now that i am eating better food choices i can eat way more for less calories. i also have a very busy day and dont always get the chance to eat right away. i usually try to bring healthy options with me wherever i go but if i do not have something i sometimes opt to wait instead of eating unhealthy food. i just dont get it. i work out and eat healthy and the scale does NOT move. i weigh the same as when i was eating cheeseburgers and fries all of the time so i sometimes wonder what is the point. my measerments do not change either. i have noticed i am more toned but that is it.

Lets start with the original question, yes too much fruit can cause stalls in weight loss. They are high in sugar and too many carbs (even complex carbs) will store as fat if your body can't use it. Second, all those processed foods are high in sodium. 2 oz of lunch meat is 22% + of your daily need. I would really look to track sodium as opposed to sugar. Third, you are not getting enough fats. Healthy fats in foods like avocado, nuts, cheese are essential to body function. Remember, fat does not make you fat, excess calories do. You really need to get more fats. Forth, you really don't want to get the majority of your calories from junk food, they are full of processed items that are beyond bad for you. Not to say you can't sneak a cookie here and there, but don't make it a daily occurance. And lastly, below is a fairly good tool I have used for myself as well as many others to calculate caloric needs. Check it out and include your workout into your activity level. I would suggest posting the results so we can take a look at it. You would be surprise how common under eating your calories can be.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    ugh that is another thing. I stated this whole thing because i went to a fitness thing where they measured my Metabolic rate using an oxygen mask and lots of science that is beyond my pay grade. Long story short they told me to eat 1750 calories a day... up from the 1200 I had been told for years and years and years to eat. It is KILLING me to try to get in 1750 healthy calories a day. Sure I could grab a tub of ice cream and go to town, but I am trying to make wise choices.

If you have trouble eating the calories, look to eat higher calorie items. That is more important than quantity. Remember, quality > quantity. And do yourself a favor and each week keep adding 150 - 200 calories until you get to 1750. YOu don't want to just jump into it. It took me about 4 week to go from 2600 to 3000 calories. I eat 7 times a day (3 meals and 4 snacks) but just like training your muscles to grow, you have to train yourself to eat.

You want something that can help too.. protein bars and protein shakes (I use EAS whey with skim milk) Both are around 200 calories and both will process thru your body quickly so you can eat/drink it late at night if need be. Remember, food is fuel and if you don't have enough, then you wont get your results.
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119

I noticed it's mostly the days you are working out that you are like 500-900 calories under. There are ways to add calories without adding too much volumn of food. Adding a little extra olive oil when you cook or to salads. Mixing some 100% fruit juice (you seem to like fruit) to your water...or drink an 8oz glass of it straight. Although won't help with your sugar. A slice or two of Avacado to a sandwich. Some peanutbutter stirred into oatmeal. Add a recovery drink of some sort after your workout, that could add up to 200 calories. Or instead of eating so much fruit on your workout days choose a higher calorie snack instead....or eat an apple and dip it in peanut butter.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member

Lets start with the original question, yes too much fruit can cause stalls in weight loss. They are high in sugar and too many carbs (even complex carbs) will store as fat if your body can't use it. Second, all those processed foods are high in sodium. 2 oz of lunch meat is 22% + of your daily need. I would really look to track sodium as opposed to sugar. Third, you are not getting enough fats. Healthy fats in foods like avocado, nuts, cheese are essential to body function. Remember, fat does not make you fat, excess calories do. You really need to get more fats. Forth, you really don't want to get the majority of your calories from junk food, they are full of processed items that are beyond bad for you. Not to say you can't sneak a cookie here and there, but don't make it a daily occurance. And lastly, below is a fairly good tool I have used for myself as well as many others to calculate caloric needs. Check it out and include your workout into your activity level. I would suggest posting the results so we can take a look at it. You would be surprise how common under eating your calories can be.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    ugh that is another thing. I stated this whole thing because i went to a fitness thing where they measured my Metabolic rate using an oxygen mask and lots of science that is beyond my pay grade. Long story short they told me to eat 1750 calories a day... up from the 1200 I had been told for years and years and years to eat. It is KILLING me to try to get in 1750 healthy calories a day. Sure I could grab a tub of ice cream and go to town, but I am trying to make wise choices.

If you have trouble eating the calories, look to eat higher calorie items. That is more important than quantity. Remember, quality > quantity. And do yourself a favor and each week keep adding 150 - 200 calories until you get to 1750. YOu don't want to just jump into it. It took me about 4 week to go from 2600 to 3000 calories. I eat 7 times a day (3 meals and 4 snacks) but just like training your muscles to grow, you have to train yourself to eat.

You want something that can help too.. protein bars and protein shakes (I use EAS whey with skim milk) Both are around 200 calories and both will process thru your body quickly so you can eat/drink it late at night if need be. Remember, food is fuel and if you don't have enough, then you wont get your results.

based on this website it says i should consume 2130 calories. that seems like a lot and it is a lot harder to do when you are making healthy food choices. i just dont get why losing weight is such a chore. if i am exercising everyday and eating within my calories shouldnt i lose something?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

based on this website it says i should consume 2130 calories. that seems like a lot and it is a lot harder to do when you are making healthy food choices. i just dont get why losing weight is such a chore. if i am exercising everyday and eating within my calories shouldnt i lose something?

Well theoretically, you aren't eating within your caloric needs. If you exercise a lot you burn a lot of calories (just like a sports car needs better gas and uses it faster). So if you are burning a lot of fuel (aka calories) then you need a lot of fuel. Think of it like this, if you only fill your car up half way can you still drive 300 miles? So if you only eat half the amount of calories, how can your body keep running to it's full capacity?

Also, keep in mind, healthy does not always mean low calorie. If you are doing a lot of "low fat, no sugar" substitution, then just stop that. Look into stuff like Muscle Milk. It's high in protein and calories. One protein shake is about 300 calories or something to that standard. It's about making healthy decisions but higher calories ones. Cooking in extra virgin olive oil will help increase your calories and you won't be filled up on it.

After a while, it won't be a chore. For me, I struggle to eat less than 2600 calories but that is because I trained my body to eat like that.

High calorie foods

Nuts
    Avocado
    Oil Olive
    Certain Protein Bars and Shakes
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member

Well theoretically, you aren't eating within your caloric needs. If you exercise a lot you burn a lot of calories (just like a sports car needs better gas and uses it faster). So if you are burning a lot of fuel (aka calories) then you need a lot of fuel. Think of it like this, if you only fill your car up half way can you still drive 300 miles? So if you only eat half the amount of calories, how can your body keep running to it's full capacity?

Also, keep in mind, healthy does not always mean low calorie. If you are doing a lot of "low fat, no sugar" substitution, then just stop that. Look into stuff like Muscle Milk. It's high in protein and calories. One protein shake is about 300 calories or something to that standard. It's about making healthy decisions but higher calories ones. Cooking in extra virgin olive oil will help increase your calories and you won't be filled up on it.

After a while, it won't be a chore. For me, I struggle to eat less than 2600 calories but that is because I trained my body to eat like that.

High calorie foods

Nuts
    Avocado
    Oil Olive
    Certain Protein Bars and Shakes

great advice here.