Switching to Splenda

Options
I am a coffee addict and I cannot live without it or sweetener in it. Has anyone switched to Splenda and seen a signifigant difference on the scale?

Replies

• jennypatch9
    jennypatch9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Splenda, but my new love is Stevia. It's ALL NATURAL derived from a plant so it is calorie free and chemical free. i get mine at trader joes but it can also be found at whole foods or other health food stores. its VERY potent so a tiny bit goes a long way! I drink it in my herb tea every night
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Coffee is not bad for you, it's what we put into it that can make it bad. By taking out the sugar you are doing yourself a favor. I would suggest something like stevia instead of splenda though, since stevia is natural and splenda is artificial. I do not believe that a little splenda will hurt anyone, but since you have it all the time, I would think that something natural would affect your body better.

Cutting out the sugar should help you reach your goals anyway.
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Most sweetners are worse than real sugar. Try stevia...that's the healthiest one I know of.
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I must taste this Stevia... Thanks for the replies you guys!
  • change_happens
    Options
    I am a coffee addict and I cannot live without it or sweetener in it. Has anyone switched to Splenda and seen a signifigant difference on the scale?

I use splenda, very sparingly. I tried Stevia and ended up in the emergency room because of an allergic reaction. I found that if you have an allergy to ragweed, you will have a reaction so Stevia. (I should say, "most likely")

AND

My husband uses Stevia without any associated issues. He loves the stuff.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I detest artificial sweetener.....I'm slowly cutting back sugar on my morning cereal so I can still have it in my tea.......
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    While many will praise Stevia over Splenda, it's still relatively new and costs quite a bit more than Splenda does. So from a cost perspective, I think you'll be okay with Splenda (and there are generic forms available, saving you even more). Getting rid of sugar in general should help you see a difference on the scale.
  • auskelly
    auskelly Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i use sugarless sachets. they dont have the bitter taste some others do. i like it. though i use splenda in cooking on occasion
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Stevia would be a better choice as it is all natural from a plant and Splenda is not.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    yup Stevia is where it's at. It's worth mentioning that I got a splenda induced optical migraine the very first time I ever tried it. needless to say, I haven't tried it again, and no more migraines.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I used to use Splenda in everything,but now I use Stevia. It takes a bit of getting used to...but it's not bad at all.

I prefer it now and knowing that it's chemical free..makes me feel better!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I always have a little coffee with my caramel, vanilla, no sugar added creamer. It’s made with Splenda. I seem to do ok with it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm not opposed to artificial sweeteners, but real sugar is only 15 calories per teaspoon. If you have one coffee a day, and put in two teaspoons, switching to Splenda isn't going to make any drastic difference. Over the course of one year, that would equal three pounds.

Now, if you're like my brother, who has been known to add 16 packets of sugar to his big gulp coffee... that's another story. :happy:
  • rissaface
    rissaface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm also a coffee addict and had to make the adjustment to fit my 2 cups of coffee into my daily calorie allotment. I tried the Truvia and I didn't care for it personally. I switched to Splenda and I love it now, I also found a great Sugar Free Creamer that only has 15 calories per serving (1 tbsp). It's made by coffee mate Sugar Free Vanilla Caramel. Yummy!!!!! Good luck!
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    Options
    I use a whole bunch (5 packets per day) of sweetner. Everytime I tear open a pack I get this horrible gut feelings that tells me, "you say you want to eat clean, this is not clean at all." But like an addict, I continue to hold, tear, and pour. I am dire need of replacing these awful yellow packets with....well..... nothing. I need to get use to not being a sweet fein. There you have it. A confession from a splenda queen.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I use splenda (generic) every day. I am hoping for the best as far as the chemicals are concerned. Chemicals are in almost everything, it seems. I have not jumped on the "no processed foods / no chemicals" wagon yet. Maybe some day I will be able to get that far. As for now, I enjoy my generic spenda.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I think that artificail sweetners are not good to use long term. I would suggest just using less sugar. I used to use 2 or 3 heaping teaspoons. I cut back to 1 for a while and them eventually none. If I remember right 1 teaspoon of sugar is only 16 calories.

ADDED
    Just checked - its only 15 calories.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    This excerpt was taken from Splenda's website.

"SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener has no known side effects. Sucralose (or SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener) has been the subject of extensive safety testing, with more than 20 years of research and over 110 scientific studies.1,8-10 Its safety is well documented and the Food and Drug Administration, along with regulatory, health, and food safety authorities from around the world, have concluded that it is safe. It has been used throughout the world by millions of people since 1991, and there are no warning labels on the products to exclude anyone from enjoying SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener. Sucralose is approved for use in over 80 countries and is currently used in more than 4000 products worldwide."
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I use a whole bunch (5 packets per day) of sweetner. Everytime I tear open a pack I get this horrible gut feelings that tells me, "you say you want to eat clean, this is not clean at all." But like an addict, I continue to hold, tear, and pour. I am dire need of replacing these awful yellow packets with....well..... nothing. I need to get use to not being a sweet fein. There you have it. A confession from a splenda queen.

Okay. I can agree with ya there but coffee tastes like *kitten* without sweetener! And I am DEPENDENT on caffeine. I get headaches if I don't have enough. I work the graveyard shift so I need lots to keep me going....
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I use the Splenda+Fiber packets in my coffee. Each packet has a gram of fiber, so it gives me a little bump on my fiber goals with each cup.