Exercise question - does anyone else get sick??

Options
Okay, so here it is! Everytime I try to turn things around & start working out I seem to come down with a cold about a week or two into it. Has anyone else experienced this?? I wonder if I'm working too hard. Maybe lowering my immune system or something..?? I'm about at that two week mark now & nervous that I'm going to come down with something & be rail roaded yet again. Maybe I just need to suck it up & work through it.... any thoughts?

Replies

• sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    Okay, so here it is! Everytime I try to turn things around & start working out I seem to come down with a cold about a week or two into it. Has anyone else experienced this?? I wonder if I'm working too hard. Maybe lowering my immune system or something..?? I'm about at that two week mark now & nervous that I'm going to come down with something & be rail roaded yet again. Maybe I just need to suck it up & work through it.... any thoughts?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    do you work out at the gym? If so then bring a small bottle of alcohol (no, not gin!) with you and wipe down EVERYTHING. Weights, exercise machines...whereever your hands are going to touch
  • lilmamamacwork
    Options
    I have this same issue...it has happened to me twice. I was sick the first week in Nov and Dec and both times i had just started working out again and started to feel good
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    If you are overdoing it, maybe......AWTY is right, wipe down everything at the gym - and everywhere this time of year. You don't get sick from working out. Viruses and bacteria cause sickness. But you can weaken your immune system by not eating enough healthy foods, or not eating enough in general, or by working your body to exhaustion without resting and sleeping enough.

Be sure you are drinking enough water all day, but especially during your workout.

It is all related.
  • sanifrey
    Options
    do you work out at the gym? If so then bring a small bottle of alcohol (no, not gin!) with you and wipe down EVERYTHING. Weights, exercise machines...whereever your hands are going to touch

No, not in a gym. However, I recently started attending a step class. But, I haven't gotten sick yet, a very good point about germs, especially this time of year! Hopefully I can avoid it this time around! Thank you so much for your input!!
  • sanifrey
    Options
    I have this same issue...it has happened to me twice. I was sick the first week in Nov and Dec and both times i had just started working out again and started to feel good

So glad to hear that I'm not the only one!! It's pretty frustrating isn't it!
  • sanifrey
    Options
    If you are overdoing it, maybe......AWTY is right, wipe down everything at the gym - and everywhere this time of year. You don't get sick from working out. Viruses and bacteria cause sickness. But you can weaken your immune system by not eating enough healthy foods, or not eating enough in general, or by working your body to exhaustion without resting and sleeping enough.

Be sure you are drinking enough water all day, but especially during your workout.

It is all related.

Thank you!! Some very good points! I could probably be eating a bit better to be honest! I tend to really get strict with my diet & should be eating more! I love that MFP has the food log, I hope using it will make a difference this time around!!
  • roshong06
    Options
    Do you take multi vitamins? I used to have this same problem...my doctor told me to get a multi vitamin specific to what I was doing...dieting. One a day makes one formulated for women trying to get healthy, it has extra anti oxidants which help boost your immune system along with alot more...that was 2 months ago that I started taking them, and I have yet to get sick. And I ALWAYS come down with the flu this time a year...knock on wood, I haven't yet. And I really think it has something to do with my doctor telling me to start these vitamins. Good Luck!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

ahhh YEA!! can be so VERY frustrating!:sad: :noway: :grumble:

Second time around for me in less than a month....:grumble: it's hard not to want to continue on with regular life but my body says...no way! :noway: So I listen (though it's not easy, I'm such a rebel:huh: :laugh: ), rest, do all the right things and then feel much stronger and think......YAY I can jump back into things...hmm ahhh ok, then I hit the gym am there 20 minutes and feel feverish, think I'm gonna die, realize I still have to go change, make it back to the car and actually drive it home without dying, then park it, walk up 3 flights.......and think, don't know if I'll make it..:laugh: :huh:

Oh I'm so serious!! I think it through like that when I feel that badly cause I know how much more energy it takes when I'm feeling icky and everything is so much harder and wears ya down much faster... so I left the gym, made it home, got more water and crawled back under the covers.:sick: :yawn:

It feels so wasteful after feeling sick for very long, I'm an on the go person so unplanned down time is tough for me! So here I've been babying myself once again and plan to hit the gym again today to do some strength training and ease back into it again. I really did think I was taking it slow last time, but I must not of gotten rid of the bug totally or else another one jumped on me as I was on my way out the door?!!:noway: :grumble: :laugh: :bigsmile:

So that's my plans after I am done on here...to do weights at the gym...the germies at the gym are probably partly to blame, I do wipe off the machines before and after use (ahhh can we say..Seinfeld episode!? :laugh: I almost laugh outloud each time I wiipe it off when I'm done on them as not many do...the few that do look at me and laugh and I say..'Seinfeld?" and they nod their head.)

..life at the gym is FUN..it's great working out with folks, (along side them) never a stranger at the gym for long!!:bigsmile: only hard workin fun dedicated folks that want to get er done and feel good:drinker: )

Feel better all....gonna take it slow and easy and then rest when I get back and grab some more fruits and dark greens on the way back home...oh and a sand bag for my car:grumble:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Do you take multi vitamins? I used to have this same problem...my doctor told me to get a multi vitamin specific to what I was doing...dieting. One a day makes one formulated for women trying to get healthy, it has extra anti oxidants which help boost your immune system along with alot more...that was 2 months ago that I started taking them, and I have yet to get sick. And I ALWAYS come down with the flu this time a year...knock on wood, I haven't yet. And I really think it has something to do with my doctor telling me to start these vitamins. Good Luck!

excellent point....I did get a flu shot but didn't take multivitamins until hm....:huh: :blushing: :blushing: ahhhh, maybe 4-5 days ago:blushing: :bigsmile: :laugh:

So......although I'm all for folks doing healthy things, I sure wasn't doing it for myself...everytime someone close to me got sick I ask if they were taking vitamins...they say...oh YEA! :laugh: So, finally I got some, (I had run out quite sometime back)more and off I go....I want to grab a bottle of vitamin C as well to do extra during this season.

Thanks for the reminder....I'm not in a habit of taking them again yet...so I read your post and just took one!:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

ahhh YEA!! can be so VERY frustrating!:sad: :noway: :grumble:

Second time around for me in less than a month....:grumble: it's hard not to want to continue on with regular life but my body says...no way! :noway: So I listen (though it's not easy, I'm such a rebel:huh: :laugh: ), rest, do all the right things and then feel much stronger and think......YAY I can jump back into things...hmm ahhh ok, then I hit the gym am there 20 minutes and feel feverish, think I'm gonna die, realize I still have to go change, make it back to the car and actually drive it home without dying, then park it, walk up 3 flights.......and think, don't know if I'll make it..:laugh: :huh:

Oh I'm so serious!! I think it through like that when I feel that badly cause I know how much more energy it takes when I'm feeling icky and everything is so much harder and wears ya down much faster... so I left the gym, made it home, got more water and crawled back under the covers.:sick: :yawn:

It feels so wasteful after feeling sick for very long, I'm an on the go person so unplanned down time is tough for me! So here I've been babying myself once again and plan to hit the gym again today to do some strength training and ease back into it again. I really did think I was taking it slow last time, but I must not of gotten rid of the bug totally or else another one jumped on me as I was on my way out the door?!!:noway: :grumble: :laugh: :bigsmile:

So that's my plans after I am done on here...to do weights at the gym...the germies at the gym are probably partly to blame, I do wipe off the machines before and after use (ahhh can we say..Seinfeld episode!? :laugh: I almost laugh outloud each time I wiipe it off when I'm done on them as not many do...the few that do look at me and laugh and I say..'Seinfeld?" and they nod their head.)

..life at the gym is FUN..it's great working out with folks, (along side them) never a stranger at the gym for long!!:bigsmile: only hard workin fun dedicated folks that want to get er done and feel good:drinker: )

Feel better all....gonna take it slow and easy and then rest when I get back and grab some more fruits and dark greens on the way back home...oh and a sand bag for my car:grumble:

So glad you are feeling better!! :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I used to get sick a lot more when I was overreaching, doing two hours a day 6 days a week and eating ~1400 cals/day. Your body's natural response to stress is to release a hormone that lowers the immune system and reroutes energy to the muscles and brain. Exercise is a 'stress'. So that, coupled with too large of a deficit, will greatly depress your immune system. Add to that a germy gym, and you have prime conditions for getting sick. I haven't been sick in sooooooooo long now that I eat enough and rest enough for my activity level.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I used to get sick a lot more when I was overreaching, doing two hours a day 6 days a week and eating ~1400 cals/day. Your body's natural response to stress is to release a hormone that lowers the immune system and reroutes energy to the muscles and brain. Exercise is a 'stress'. So that, coupled with too large of a deficit, will greatly depress your immune system. Add to that a germy gym, and you have prime conditions for getting sick. I haven't been sick in sooooooooo long now that I eat enough and rest enough for my activity level.
    ohhhh you're such a smart girl:drinker: Thanks for that info SBW:flowerforyou:

now please don't go reading my posts in the 'is this rude' thread & call the gym police on me:sad: ....cause I'm going no matter what!!!!:noway: :huh: :laugh: :wink: :bigsmile: for a little while...:drinker: I was quite the confused puppy in that thread...:blushing: :yawn: :bigsmile:
  • sanifrey
    Options
    Thank you all so very much!! Some wonderful ideas & suggestions! I'm gonna watch what I eat & make sure to take my vitamins! Vitamin C is a good idea too! Though Ive heard that it doesn't help & others say it does... ?? I figure why not, what can it hurt?

Thanks again everyone & stay healthy!
  • BodyByCrayton
    Options
    "Body By Crayton"
    For over 20 years, Andre Crayton, has been one of the leading authorities in human performance and nutritional weight-loss. Starring nationally on ESPN’s “American Muscle”, Fox59 Overtime, (Gary Mendelow), The Indianapolis Recorder on Air “Hosted by Carolene Mayes and Connie Gaines”, WAV53 Indianapolis, Channel 13 WTHR “Hosted by Dave Calabro, reporter Chris Stoute and the Dave’s Team Club Member, Real Women “Hosted by WTPI’s Kelly Vaughn”, Sports Corner WAV53 Indianapolis “Hosted by Jennifer Coffman”, Sports Extra WALB10 Albany,Ga., TBN’s Public Report Channel 42 Greenwood, Indiana “ Hosted by Kathy Nikou and Barbara Presutti”, WTLC Radio Indianapolis Breakfast Club “Hosted by Guy Black and Linda Clemons”, The Indianapolis Recorder Newspaper (freelance writer), also featured in Muscle Magazine International, National Physique Committee Magazine, and Indianapolis Recorder Weekly.

Andre is a graduate of Albany State University with a BS in Kinesiology with distinction, major in Exercise Science, and minor in Psychology. Andre was awarded Indiana’s Personal Trainer of the Year 1993-1998. He is also a National Physique Bodybuilding and Fitness Judge.

As a former teacher of physical education, Andre taught at St.Francis DeSales catholic School in Cincinnati, Ohio and John Marshall High School in Indianapolis, Indiana where he was an Assistant Girl Track and Field Coach.
    Earlier in his career, Andre was Georgia Track and Field Champion, a Semi Professional Football Player, Academic All-American, and 1984 Olympic track and field Candidate 800m, 1 mile.

Andre became involved in bodybuilding in 1986 where he won many awards including: 1990 Musclemania, BW Division; 1990-1997 Mr. Indiana, BW & LW Division, Mr. Indianapolis BW & LW Division; Natural Indiana Champion; placed in top 10 at Nationals and Jr. and IFBB North America; Pro World Bodybuilding Championships and a host of numberous awards and titles.

Established in 1990, Body By Crayton Fitness has been providing one-on-one and group personalized weight-loss, general body toning, fitness training and nutritional requirements for both men and women, in addition to our young adult and senior community. Body By Crayton's Fitness personalized training, combined with our nutritional programs can make a difference in your weight-loss and basic fitness requirements.

Body By Crayton Fitness has built a solid reputation with our unparalleled client and support services. Our health and fitness assets are all the components needed to succeed in the fitness industry.

Body By Crayton Fitness has no magic potions, just great fitness, nutrition, and one-on-one personalized training, which will let us provide new and old clients with an enjoyable and effective one-on-one personalized training experience.

We appreciate the opportunity to show you how we can make a difference in your life by allowing us to guide you to a better body, one month at a time.
    andrecrayton@yahoo.com