I need help!

Options
I've been on MFP for quite some time now and I've made good friends and have for periods of time kept up logging and lost weight but always put it back on again, I need to make a pernament change not just go on a diet for awhile, I want this to be life changing.

I need some help though. Do people find that a low carb diet works best for them or a low fat diet or simply staying under their calorie intake?

Also how much exercise to people do a week?I have no problem with exercise, just food control haha!

Any advice would be appreciated...I'd like to know what works longterm for everyone.

Thanks,

Emma xoxo

Replies

• lgubbels
    lgubbels Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I watch calories and sodium the most. When doing that, I'm usually pretty close to my fat intake goal. I don't really pay attention to carbs, although I probably should. It seems if I overdo my sodium, even if I'm within my calorie range, I tend to gain weight, so I really try to stay within the sodium guidelines, in addition to my calories.
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I stick to a low fat diet and really stay as close to my calorie goal as possible, particularly when exercising. I try to exercise at least 3 days a week but I've hit a plateau myself and kinda went rogue with my diet for a while so I'm just now getting back at it. I joined a new gym so I plan on going probably 4 or 5 days a week to really get my weight loss going again. Low carb is good as long as you are keeping good carbs in your diet. But you have to do what's right for you. Good luck!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I def recommend low carb! I am staying at around 70-80 grams a day and feel fantastic! I also exercise about 4-6 days a week depending on my schedule. I do my eliptical or go running for about 40 mins each. I love running the best! Good luck!
  • emma2309
    emma2309 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone it's so good to read these, keep em coming =D

xoxo
  • melkorxp
    melkorxp Posts: 12
    Options
    Hey Emma,
    First and foremost, diets are never good or healthy. Like you say, it should be a lifestyle change in order to fully lose and keep the weight off.
    The secrets for naturally thin people is quite simple. They don't dwell on when their next food is coming. They eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full.

There are a few tricks you can do when trying to change your lifestyle. These are:

1) Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Most of the time, thirst can be mis-interpreted as hunger pangs. By keeping yourself hydrated, your appetite and hunger will only flare when you are truly hungry.

2) When your full, stop eating. This sounds obvious but have you ever gone out for a meal or got a takeaway in and got full half way through? Then you think "this is so tasty and I paid for it, so I am going to finish it". I know I have. Remember to stop eating and save it for later when you are next hungry.

3) To help with the above, put your knife and fork down after EVERY mouthful. People tend to shovel food in so fast that their bodies don't get the chance to register it is full. Humour me and try it tonight at dinner time. You will be so surprised how full you will feel.

4) The food on your plate should be roughly the size of your hand. No more. People tend to put too much on and feel obligated to eat it all. A big no no.

5) Lastly, always leave something on your plate. This may sounds strange but bear with me. It's all about your emotional state concerning food. If you always leave something, even as tiny as a couple of peas then your conditioning your mind to eat to sustain and not just for pleasure. If you only eat for pleasure, you will finish the lot, regardless of the size.

That's basically the secret of thin people. And they are active. See below.

Most active women I know tend to have 3 days a week minimum set aside for vigorous workouts. This is normally in gym like Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays but can be in the form of Netball, Spinning classes etc. You get the idea.
    Try to do 3 sessions (of about 45 minutes) a week of anything that works up a sweat (no jokes lol) and see what happens.

Calorie watching is all well and good but make sure you're filling your food diary with good calories like veg, fruit and nuts. Don't think "I can have a load of chocolate and not greens as long as I am under my daily limit". Sounds obvious but you would be surprised how some people think.

Well that's it. Hope I helped a bit.
    Also, if anyone disagrees with anything I said, please voice your opinion. I am no professional. Just an average Joe :)

Thanks,

Tony
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    The great thing about MFP is they let you pick what you want to monitor. I personally watch my calories, carbs, fats, sugars, and sodium. I try to stay under or just above all of them, and as far as calories go, I tend to net 1100 to 1400 a day. Some people say that's too low, but I've lost 17 pounds so I must be doing something right :P However, just because something works for one person does not mean it will work for you. Just try out different things until you find one that works the best.
    EDIT: Also, while I agree with the things the poster above me said, I don't personally find that leaving things on my plate helps. I only put as much on my plate as I intend to eat, but then again, if you have problems with portion control you may find that helpful. What I usually do as well is opt for a smaller plate or bowl. If you have a full small plate, it looks like you have a lot of food, and I always end up getting fuller, faster vs. if I put the same amount of food on a normal sized plate. I grew up given a full, full sized plate for dinner and ate it all. Now I find that'd be way too much! lol
  • emma2309
    emma2309 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tony, I agree with everything you're saying, I especially like your 3rd point!I think that'd help me a lot!A lot of it is about developing good habits isn't it!Not just counting the calories which as you say could be coming from chocolate...mmm chocolate haha!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I need some help though. Do people find that a low carb diet works best for them or a low fat diet or simply staying under their calorie intake?

I watch, in this order, 1) total calories, 2) protein, 3) fiber. Total calories is what makes you lose weight. Protein helps maintain lean body mass and keeps you full. And fiber keeps you regular. Carbs, fat, sodium - they're mostly just there for informational purposes for me. I have goal numbers, but I don't stress about them.
    Also how much exercise to people do a week?I have no problem with exercise, just food control haha!

This was exactly my problem before I started MFP. I thought "Hey, I work out a bunch, I don't need to think about what I eat." I was wrong :-) As I've seen somewhere around here, "You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet." Once I got a hold of portion control (actually measuring what I was eating) and being aware of everything I was eating, I felt better and looked better. I do some sort of physical activity nearly every day - I go to yoga class about 4x a week, kickboxing, running, biking, about to start weight lifting.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry, I forgot a question, haha. I exercise 7 days a week. Sometimes I take a rest day or two when I need it. It works best for me at the moment :)
  • SlenderSuze
    SlenderSuze Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I personally don't lose weight if I eat junk, even if I'm at my reccomended calories each day. If I avoid processed foods then my carbs come out generally low by the end of the day.. Also, my cravings seem to have gone away so it's much easier to make healthy choices. I did the South Beach Diet and lost weight, broke the cycle of craving the processed stuff and learned a lot about portion size, and healthy food choices. That said, it still still takes some will power to not eat cookies and pie as often as I'd like. No diet plan now. I just eat but have a better understanding of how food affects my health and weight. This site continues to help me learn and I do a lot of reading and study on my own. Knowledge is power! Good luck! Try a few things~ listen to your body. You'll figure it out..
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, thirst can be mis-interpreted as hunger pangs.
    Dane Cook fan? Pangs? LOL
  • cbarnes6852
    Options
    I don't follow a low carb, low fat, or any other kind of diet. As you eluded too in your post, for me it is about changing my whole lifestyle. I am eating healthier. I eat more fruits and vegetables, lean meats like fish and chicken, and a serving of nuts everyday like almonds or peanuts. I try to stay at or under my alloted calories for the day while making sure to get as much protein and fiber as possible. The EAS carb control protein drinks are a great way of getting extra protein into your diet without sacrificing a lot of calories or adding a lot of sugar and as a bonus they are great tasting and usually not as expensive as some of the other protein drinks. I start off everyday with a healthy breakfast of Total whole grain cereal, skim milk, and fiber one yogurt. I do this to make sure that I am getting all the necessary vitamins and minerals for the day and to jump start my daily metabolism. I have also made going to the gym in the afternoon part of my daily routine. I usually exercise between 60 to 90 minutes a day. I do some type of cardio about everyday and then do strength training every other day to allow my muscles to recoup and grow. Some weeks I will take Sunday off and not do Cardio or strength training. I have lost 42 pounds so far and am actually starting to see some muscle definition. These are some of the things that have worked for me.

Everybody is different and what works for one person may not work for someone else. You just have to try and find the right balance of nutriion and exercise that are right for you. The main thing is to keep motivation, a positive attitude, and don't beat yourself up if you mess up. Every day is a new day and a fresh start on the road to a better more healthy you.