Falling off the wagon... Help me get back up? :)

Options
In my first month of "healthy living" I lost 10lbs. I know a lot of it was probably water weight, but I was ecstatic, and everything was going really well. I was exercising regularly, and enjoying it for the first time of my life. My meals were planned and balanced, and I enjoyed eating without feeling guilty.
Mentally and physically I felt better. I've had some trouble with depression and self harm but I felt brilliant.

Then I moved back home from my first year at university.

My parents are very traditional, and don't care for healthy food or exercise. I came home to being fed lasagne and pasta covered in creamy sauces and cheese, cakes, chocolate, burgers, fried food and vegetables covered in full fat butter. When I exercise they make fun of me like kids did in school at PE. I've tried to keep my head held high and carry on, but it's just getting to me. I've tried asking to cook meals, and even making my own seperate meals... but my Mum won't let me go to the supermarket and refuses to buy healthy alternatives as it's "too expensive".

I can feel the weight creeping back on, and I feel sluggish, tired and have no energy.

Any suggestions or inspirations would be so welcome right now! :)

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Well, as far as the cakes and chocolates go...just say no! She's not holding a gun to your head and making you eat them :P The other things, I know where you're coming from. Just do smaller portions, maybe scrape off some of the cheese and sauce. If they make something fried, maybe just try eating the inside? For instance if they do fried chicken, take off the outside and eat the chicken without all the skin. You gotta work with what you're given. Try going for runs. Even if you don't like to go for a run, unless they actually follow you they won't be able to make fun of you. Otherwise, just ignore it, or tell them to stop it.
  • qofspades
    qofspades Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think that moderation and physical activity is the key. Regardless of your family eating regimen, I belive that you can still enjoy that but just not so much and make sure veggies are incorporated. You can do it. It's okay to fall of the wagon. It's only a problem when you don't get back on and let it leave you in the dust. Le' go.
  • SportySpiceVT
    SportySpiceVT Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could go to the store on your own and price the ingredients for snacks and meals and compare that to the price for what the is cooking. Maybe then she will see it is affordable to buy veggies, even if they are frozen. Even if she can get you lettuce and some low-cal dressing, you can fill up on a salad and have a small portion of the dinner she makes. Try telling your mom how much better you feel and how important this is to you. You can always sneak in exercise too. Go to a "friends house" but really go to the park and work out. Or the library, or a museum.

HUGS!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I was going to say exactly what brittanyjean said but I also wanted to add that, in the warmer months, you could start a garden and grow your own healthy foods (for just the cost of seeds!).
  • rosalang
    rosalang Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    you were doing so well so dont give up.
    just say to your mum that you need to sit down and talk to her
    sit her down with a nice cuppa and tell her kindly but firmly that you need her help and support.
    it maybe that she doesnt know how to cook differently and you may be able to help her with that.
    give her some recipies to try but make sure she sticks to them and doesnt add stuff
    keep telling her you need her to do this for you.
    if that doesnt work you will have to be firm and tell her you still love her but will have to do your own meals
    it may be hard for her to change to habits of a lifetime and her need to nurture the family and feeding them up is her way.
    good luck
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Ouch! That stinks! Not only is Mom making bad foods, but there probably absolutely delicious to boot. It's no wonder you're gaining weight. Do they have salad with the lasagna? How about pushing for that? Do you drive? Can you go to the grocery store yourself and buy stuff to make salads and have that then the lasagna? You can cut down on the main course by eating a salad with the meals. You could also make an appointment with your doctor and tell him/her the issues. Maybe you could get a letter from him stating that due to health issues, you must incorporate more veggies and fruits and healthier options? I'm just trying to think of things that would work w/your family without offending your mother.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Tough spot to be in, it can be tough when your family doesn't support you. Like Brittany said, take smaller portions, and drink plenty of water, it can make you feel full. Any exercise is better than none, don't let your family get you down, you can do this, you just have a few obstacles to overcome, but you can do it, ad remember that the people on MFP are here to help and support you.
  • TCB2day
    TCB2day Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    First - CONGRATULATIONS on choosing a healthy lifestyle!

Second - Kudos for reaching out for help. This is one of the biggest benefits of MFP. We're here for you!

Do not lose sight of your goal. Celebrate your accomplishments!

Will you be returning to unversity soon? If so, keep in mind that your current situation is temporary. Are you eating ALL of your meals at home? If not, select healthy meals outside of home. To keep the peace at home, eat smaller portions.

Go for walks. It will help you clear your mind and temporarily remove you from the stressful environment. Take each day one at a time. Create a plan just for today and focus on completing the plan. For example today you might chose to walk for 15 minutes. Don't worry about anything else. Just complete the plan. Maybe tomorrow the plan is to drink more water. Bottom line focus on just today!

This is a lifestyle change. It will not happen overnight. Take a deep breathe and focus on just today!
  • MaryEffingPoppins
    MaryEffingPoppins Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    First off, it's very courageous of you to share your story. Don't let anyone get you down, you can do it w/ out their help. YOU just make sure that you stay disciplined. We are all here to support you!!!! I also fell off the wagon if you will, and am back on for a LONG wild ride! I feel great and don't see myself turning back. Hey, try this walk, you'll feel great afterwards and you'll more than likely start doing it everyday!

http://www.exercisetv.tv/StartWalking/