PROTEIN SHAKES

Options
I am looking into different protein shakes and there is so many different ones that it makes my head spin. I dont know whats a good one and what isnt. I would love suggestions on what brand, flavor, and how often u guys have one. The dude at GNC told me to drink 3 a day. Does it really help u feel energized. Im havin trouble with feelin tired all the time. Gotta try something. I feel like I have hit a wall and cant lose for win the last 2 or 3 weeks so I am open to suggestions.:sad: :drinker:

Replies

• Connie_TN
    Options
    http://www.chikenutrition.com/ pretty tasty, You can order a sample pack for the postage cost of 6.95
    I also purchase EAS Myoplex powder from Walmart and Kroger stores. They also carry Muscle milk and Pure Protein. I like the tast of all of these. The powder mixes well if you use a hand blender or shaker with the little ball in it. You can always add fruit to them for added flavor. My fav is when I make a Peanut butter and banana shake with skim milk. Yum
    Hope this helps ya.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Half of one before a workout and a full one after (Whey variety) and a casein one before bed is my ideal set-up. As for brand, I'd stay away from cheap ones because they are more likely to cause gas and bloating. Optimun Nutrition is good. Muscle Milk. Body Tech. Lots of good ones out there.
  • SunShineBeastess
    SunShineBeastess Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have tried many types of Protien powders...the one I am using now is by far the best for taste....it is by Herbalife and they have many different flavors - even a cafe' latte so it is like ice coffee/slushie. I use skim milk, 8oz, and a hand full of ice cubes blend that then add the 2 scoops of protien and it ONLY EQUALS 170 calories!!! Look it up on line and I am sure you can find a rep near you.
  • MargaretNoon
    Options
    I don't know where you live but Nurtishops in Iowa, etc. Are very helpful and let you sample different flavors for free. When I start my liquid diet in a few weeks, i have to drink three a day.
  • retrojunk
    retrojunk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like the FitSmart protein shakes. They contains 10 grams of fibre per serving as well as protein and are low calorie so are great for people trying to lose weight. They taste pretty good too. Only down side is the stuff is pretty pricey. :(
  • Lahdidahdah
    Options
    I use GNC Amplified Chocolate Whey. . .I only use one scoop, with one cup of unsweetened almond milk, a banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter. It is yummy, tastes like a reese's cup!
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    i'm just going to drink a shake with one scoop after my hard runs/workouts. i just purchased optimum nutrition 100% gold standard whey, but i've been told by people who are serious weight lifters to alternate every few weeks between whey and soy, because if you take in too much of the same protein your body will stop absorbing it. also, optimum nutrition has like 4.5/5 stars on amazon out of over 1100 users. crazy huh??
  • ClascyParra
    Options
    Depends on what I am using it for. If I need it for pure protein then I use Isolyze...if its a meal replacement then I use BSN's Syntha-6, Tight Curves, and Muscle Milk Light....and once in a while I use the Biggest Loser protein powders (usually added to a packet of the Tight curves to boost fiber and protein).
  • lola947
    lola947 Posts: 2
    Options
    That sounds yummy! I'm going to try it! Thanks! :smile:
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i drink powerbeck, great tasting and mixes well, i have my protien to build muscle, i aim at 270 to 300 gramms of protien aday. not saying you should have this amount depends on what results you are after really, as for being hungry, it sounds like you might be on the verge of releasing fat stores, if you stay strict with your diet this will kick in, and hunger does go away, also complex carbs can cause hunger cravings
  • baygirl75
    Options
    From research and word of mouth I have been told that Whey Protein is the best. With that being said I have not tried it. I tend to make a fruit filled shake every morning with a scoop of low fat peanut butter and skim milk and ice, unless I use frozen fruit then you don't need the ice. Tastes great and I feel great energy wise, and I am anemic.
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was also wondering. Thanks to those that answered.
  • laa0889
    laa0889 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Consider Greek yogurt as an alternative to protein shakes. A one cup serving has only (approx) 140 calories, 23 g protein and 9 grams carb.
  • pinkleah456
    Options
    I use Max Elle from MyProtein http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/mp_max_elle_true_diet

I started drinking it once a day to aid muscle recovery and I actually dropped 5lbs in a week, it's good stuff!
  • nmerley
    nmerley Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank u everyone. These answers have helped.
  • SSHARIF777
    SSHARIF777 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i use the GNC LeanShake ( Vanilla is great...Cookies & Cream is even better - just tried the Strawberries & Cream...its good too) I only do the shake after a work out as a recovery drink. In the Morning I use a BB Product called Shakeology....I LOVE IT AND IT DOES SO MUCH MORE .
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I posted a pretty similar question a while ago. Basically people told me to buy which ever one I like. I got EAS at Sam's basically because it was there. I like it. i drink 1-2 a day just for a snack and to help me get my protien number up where I want.
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have one shake a day - Trader Joe's Designer Whey - chocolate.

I wish they'd make a V8 version. I'm not a big sweets person and the artificial sweetener is a little cloying.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For the most part it's just buy what tastes good and mix with it what tastes good. The biggest difference I've seen is that some are pretty much JUST protein (I like GNC's chocolate PM Protein for this, wish they still made it). These are great for right after an intense workout. Others have a slew of other "stuff" in them (generally vitamins and minerals, but also some healthy fats). I use these more like a meal replacement or snack. I like chocolate Muscle Milk here.

For me, a protein shake is 2 scoops PM protein, 1 scoop Muscle milk, 8oz skim milk and a few ice cubes

A smoothie is 2 scoops PM protein, 2 scoops muscle milk, 1 cup fat free vanilla yogurt, 2tbsp organic peanut butter, 8oz skim milk and a few ice cubes.

I've tried adding fruits in but just can't get them to taste good - I'd rather eat the fruit separately.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC Wheybolic 60. I certainly do not drink 3 a day though. I drink one a day and I work out almost every day. The directions call for 3 scoops per serving but I only use 2 since I'm not using it as a meal replacement. The chocolate is DELICIOUS! I mix it with 1% milk and water. Not as good with just water.
    Two scoops have 187 calories and with the 4 oz (1/2 cap) 1% milk, the total is 215 calories. I've noticed a difference in muscle growth compared to before starting it.
    I would highly recommend it if you're working out. If not, you probably already get enough protein.