new here...worried about alcohol...any tips?

Options
Ok, so I just found this site, but have been (actually) working on weight loss for a few months now. My major problem is that...well, I'm sort of an alcoholic. I mean, I'm completely functional, I have a great job, it doesn't mess with any of my relationships etc...its just that after I get home at night and finish exercising...I want to sit down and drink some beer. Originally I was EITHER having dinner OR drinking beer...figured I wouldn't be stuck with all the extra calories that way. But...for some reason, I find that I am actually hungry for dinner now (never used to be) and it is harder and harder to not do both. I know people will tell me to "quit drinking" but, seriously...it isn't that easy (just like weight loss isn't that easy) and I am wondering if there is some sort of compromise...like...if I eat dinner but exercise twice as long and use those calories to drink? I know it is kind of pathetic to be worried about how I'm going to get my alcohol fix...and I would like to cut back on my alcohol consumption (would save me a lot of money) but it is something I have to ease myself into....so...any suggestions? I can't be the only person who has had to deal with this....

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I just found this site, but have been (actually) working on weight loss for a few months now. My major problem is that...well, I'm sort of an alcoholic. I mean, I'm completely functional, I have a great job, it doesn't mess with any of my relationships etc...its just that after I get home at night and finish exercising...I want to sit down and drink some beer. Originally I was EITHER having dinner OR drinking beer...figured I wouldn't be stuck with all the extra calories that way. But...for some reason, I find that I am actually hungry for dinner now (never used to be) and it is harder and harder to not do both. I know people will tell me to "quit drinking" but, seriously...it isn't that easy (just like weight loss isn't that easy) and I am wondering if there is some sort of compromise...like...if I eat dinner but exercise twice as long and use those calories to drink? I know it is kind of pathetic to be worried about how I'm going to get my alcohol fix...and I would like to cut back on my alcohol consumption (would save me a lot of money) but it is something I have to ease myself into....so...any suggestions? I can't be the only person who has had to deal with this....

Quit cold turkey.

Saying you can't is weak. Be strong.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I totally understand!

I came up with a plan to reduce my alcohol intake: I try to have 2 days a week where I don't drink at all, 2 days where I don't drink before 9 pm, and...well, I'm still working on the other 3 days!

Take it one step at a time. Maybe start with one day where you don't drink before a certain time, or only have 1 beer . And then a week or so later, add another goal. Etc.
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    Alcohol is really bad for your program, it dehydrates you and adds tons of useless calories. Do what you want, but know that your success will be hindered directly by the brew.

Try to limit your consumption to a couple days a month....
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options

Quit cold turkey.

agreed.. quit cold turkey... only way u will do it.. first couple weeks will be strong but ull have to show ur self-discipline if u got some... n once u start seeing a change on ur body it will become easy because u dont want to mess it all up
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

Quit cold turkey.

agreed.. quit cold turkey... only way u will do it.. first couple weeks will be strong but ull have to show ur self-discipline if u got some... n once u start seeing a change on ur body it will become easy because u dont want to mess it all up

yep, i agree with these guys, this is how i quit smoking
  • digitalsinner
    Options
    I've found the answer is, if you just can't moderate, then simply don't do it. That's the answer and it's not as hard as you think.

Just stop.
  • janetbefit
    Options
    I can sympathize with your situation. I too have a great enjoyment of a couple glasses of red wine each evening. I have tried cutting them out but know that as soon as get back to my goal, that I will add them back. You must do to lose weight what you are willing to do to KEEP IT OFF. Therefore, my advice is to reduce the amount you are having. If you are drinking 3 right now, go down to 2 for a while then down to 1. Perhaps you can change the brand to one you don't like as much or give yourself a goal that you can't have any if you don't exercise 10 min longer or something.

The key is to move toward a positive end and not beat yourself up. We all have our issues. We just have to learn to look at them as challenges.

God Bless,
    Janet
  • shellybarbal
    Options
    Quitting cold turkey when you are an alcoholic is not wise - the withdrawal could be life threatening. You should taper off. Make a commitment to drink a little less each day until you are not drinking anymore.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I used to work 80-90 hours a week and when I got home I'd drink 1//2 a bottle to a bottle of red wine a night, nearer the bottle. Then it stopped working effectively and I started opening a new one. I found it helped me sleep and cope with work better.
    What I didn't realised I was slowly gaining a dependence on it. I couldn't remember the last time I didn't have alcohol. Then I went to the doctors and she was worried about me. I ended up going to a mates for the weekend, got totally smashed ate *kitten* and was generally my usual super stressed self. The thing was they weren't joining me in the "frivolities". After some soul searching etc I quit my job, started MFP and realised what I had become.
    I have just done 13 days with no alcohol. It was a personal best. 13 days a personal best??? I love red wine, I love the taste, the smell and the way it makes me feel. I hate that I need it to feel that way. I've started cutting it out gradually by saving it for certain days and over the week making it fit in with my calories (500 cals a bottle, no wonder I was fat). Now I'm finally at a stage where I save it for one night a week if that and I get my "hit" if you like quicker, and I don't feel dependant. It's a scary slope and I hope nobody judges this post as I have pretty much laid myself bare.
    Good luck and just be sober enough to know when to stop ha ha.
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I used to drink most evenings. The first thing I did - before even looking at my calorie intake - was to quit drinking. And aside from quitting smoking, it was probably the best thing I did.

I now do have the occational, social drink. Had a fair few on holiday!! But I don't have it every day, don't have it to wind down or as stress relief.

It wasn't easy and there are times I'd love to have a drink - I had a LOT of stress recently - but I want to be fit and healthy more than I want a drink.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options

My mother was like this when I was growing up. She was always on one weight loss plan or another and always chose to drink rather than eat while she was on those plans. She used to have a 'few' drinks every day and there was nothing wrong with that, but she became a full blown alcoholic 10 years later without a functional relationship, job or family.

In my opinion if you have to choose between eating and drinking and prefer to drink then you have more of a problem than you think and it would be wise to seek help while you still can.

Alcohol and healthy living are very unhappy bedfellows.
  • christineanne8
    Options
    Just switch to lighter beers or liquor with calorie-free mixers. Bud Select 55, MGD 64, Mich Ultra.. or 1 oz. of patron with sugar-free margarita mix is only 70-75 calories. Or just cut down consumption. Everything in moderation seems to work for me.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    ooohhhh silver...... i know how you feel sssoooooo much! Especially in the summer when a cold beer is at its best or in the winter where a couple of glasses of red wine warms you up just nice!!!!

I have had the same problem....I eased off drinking on the weeknights and save it for the weekends...You will drop weight, save money and be much healthier.

Once you put your mind to ease off it will get much easier....the way I started was if there was a couple left over from the weekend...I would make them last through the week.....if it meant I get one beer a day...so be it...or if I had to spread it out to have one every other day....that's what I did and didn't go to the store......it's all about limitations......you have to start somewhere. Eventually you won't drink on weeknights anymore with no problems.

I currently have two cases of beer in my kitchen and some in the fridge my brother left when he stayed over on the weekend....and I haven't drank them up. Only had a couple on Wednesday cuz I was at my neighbors watching the biggest storm outside I have every seen! But that s it. Don't drink during the weekdays anymore unless I have a beer or two cuz company is over...but that isn't often at all. Company usually comes on the weekend.

Good luck....it can be done....I'm living healthier proof of it....and so is my boyfriend.....he would drink 7-8 beers a night plus more on the weekend....and he is doing the same thing I'm doing.....and we are doing great! No weekdays, and a little on the weekend!

:) Good luck to you....I hope this helps!!! Trust me!!!! I know how you feel!
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Try this: go 24 hours without drinking ANY alcohol. Thoughtfully and honestly assess your emotions while you're doing this. If you find yourself freaking out, then you are not "functional." Hopefully at some point, the buzz you get from exercise will replace the buzz you get from alcohol. As you get healthier hopefully you won't want the poison anymore.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I've found the answer is, if you just can't moderate, then simply don't do it. That's the answer and it's not as hard as you think.

Just stop.

I don't make a habit of opposing someone's view without really trying to see their side, but I do think this post is a little... unforgiving and simple.
    A lot of people on here are overweight. If it was just as simple as moderation then this site wouldn't be as successful as it was.
    A lot of people smoke, do drugs, overeat, undereat, have OCD etc. I don't think the "just stop" method works. I'm sorry to offend, it's just I think a lot of people in this world do drink alcohol and don't think it is a problem and there is a lot of grey area and it takes a lot to stand up and say hey I think I may be drinking too much.
  • smithskiman06
    smithskiman06 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I now do have the occational, social drink. Had a fair few on holiday!! But I don't have it every day, don't have it to wind down or as stress relief.

This is HUGE. I come from a family riddled with functioning alcoholics on both sides of my family. In my late teens I realized that not using alcohol to relieve stress, make me happy, or to deal with a problem is what seperates alcoholics and casual drinkers.

I also really believe that most people are habitual and when you make alcohol apart of your daily life and rely on it to make a complete day it will be MUCH harder to not drink.

Take it out of the "normal" day and don't use it as a pick me up or to deal with something
  • katie_rn
    katie_rn Posts: 40
    Options
    Janet has a good idea too about switching to a brand you dont like as much at the house so the whole thing is not as tempting or enjoyable. Maybe nonalcoholic beer to supplement weaning off, but then it really is just lots of empty calories. But if you can quit that would be ideal, especially if you were to the point of eating donner OR drinking, thats not good. I also like a glass of wine with dinner but the key is that i like one glass, and not even regularly, its not a must or a routine. Try a support group if you find you can't do without beer at night. The empty calories is my biggest deterrent for any alcohol. Good luck!
  • Emeraude1983
    Emeraude1983 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with gradually reducing your consumption until it becomes more manageable for you.

But what about also giving yourself a financial incentive. Something like the swear jar concept. We've all seen it; for every curse you put a dollor in a swear jar... What about doing the same thing for the amount of beer you drink? For every bottle you drink you could put a buck or two or five (whatever) in a jar or give it to someone you trust if you don't trust yourself not to spend the money. You can make drinking just simply too expensive and at the end of the month could use the saved up money to pay for a fitness program you've always wanted to take, or a hobby that keeps you active and out of the house where you won't be tempted to drink so much. Just an idea.
  • heley33
    heley33 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options

My mother was like this when I was growing up. She was always on one weight loss plan or another and always chose to drink rather than eat while she was on those plans. She used to have a 'few' drinks every day and there was nothing wrong with that, but she became a full blown alcoholic 10 years later without a functional relationship, job or family.

In my opinion if you have to choose between eating and drinking and prefer to drink then you have more of a problem than you think and it would be wise to seek help while you still can.

Alcohol and healthy living are very unhappy bedfellows.

This is the most insightful reply to this entire thread. I hope she recognizes it.
    She should absolutely seek help for her disease.