I could use some support - a bit down right now

Options
hi,

I just lost my best friend, my cat, to cancer. For 15.5 years he was an amazing fur kid. He was the smartest, biggest, and most intelligent cat I've lived with and I'm blown away that I'm so emotional over loosing him. I've never been this devestated to lose a pet. It's like the time I lost my sister....

Makes me want to be depressed, and that's not me! My husband is taking it even harder. Any kind words you can share will really help me today.

Replies

• Connie_TN
    Options
    So Sorry for your pet loss. I think you have to allow yourself to greive for the kitty. I know I would if I lost one of my dogs. Our pets are like our babies. Time will pass and the pain will lesson but he or she knows you loved them and still do to the very end. My heart feels for you and hubby.
  • hermanaamber
    hermanaamber Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm praying for you and your husband today, it's so hard to lose a part of our lives!
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    so sorry to hear that! We have a beautiful calico and we would be crushed if anything happened to our sweet Belle! Like any loss, try to think of the good memories you've had and hopefully it will get better soon!
  • lyngoode
    lyngoode Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss.
  • Lelafin
    Lelafin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm so sorry about your kitty. *hugs* I'm not sure of anything else to say because only time will heal this, but I wanted to say something and that I understand - my cat, Zara has been by my side through thick and thin (literally lol), and I know I'd be devastated to lose her. Be kind to yourself during this time :)
  • tiffanyvc
    Options
    Aw, I'm so sorry for your loss! It will get better, but it will take some time. The hardest part is dealing with those routine moments, like when you'd feed your cat or when you two would snuggle on the couch, or something like that. I always seem to miss my pets that are no longer with me a little more at those times. Maybe do something special for you and your husband that will remind you two that life is still happy and there are still reasons to smile - like dress up and go out for a nice dinner, or go see a movie, or go out with friends. Allow yourself that grieving time, too, though.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I just went through that as well, my little Beagle was hit by a car....this was over 3 weeks ago, and I am still emotional about it. You are completely normal in feeling this way, my pets are my kids, so its very hard to lose one, in any way. It will get better, but I have to say what has helped me the most was getting a new puppy, she has helped tremendously. While Derby can never be replaced, its nice to have a new spirit to help ease the pain.

Hope you find the light soon♥
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. It is ok to feel down about this. It will take time to get over. I totally understand. I lost my cat 7 years ago. He was my baby, and when I think about him now I still get incredibly sad that I will never see him again. But, it gets better after a while.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Knowing this poem and believing in its truth is what helped me when my baby boy (lab mix) passed 3 years ago. I was devastated. I didn't know what or how to do anything without him. This poem made me cry, made me happy, but made me move on.

Be well, grieve, and know that your baby loved you as much and is waiting for you.
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your cat dieing. It is normal to be depressed after a family member (your cat) dies. Just know that we are all here for you. I will keep you and your hubby in my thoughts and prayers today. Make sure that you guys take care of yourself.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    awwww :( i know how you feel! losing a pet is harder than folks realize, especially when they're an integral part of your day and you're accustomed to seeing them everyday :( i would just say allow yourself time for the sadness to pass and get active when you're feeling overwhelmed
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    I totally get where you are coming from, I was in bits a few weeks ago when my old cat, Wendy, paased away. She was the only one in the house who never judged me or argued with me, and I really miss her:heart: I still havent got round to putting her bed away...

BTW that poem is lovely:flowerforyou:
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I lost my pug a few months a go and it was so hard...I still cry. He had been sick for 4 years and I gave him shots 2'x a day for all for years....breaks my heart that he is gone. Stay strong...pets are family it's a huge loss!!!!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your kind words. It really helps to know others understand.

It was so tough coming home last night and not greeting him at the door or waking up to his cuteness this morning. *breathing* I feel like I lost my son. Kinda numb right now.
  • kittybitz79
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss. Loosing a pet is just devastating. In time it will get better. Try to focus on all the possitive times you spent and remember she/he is in a good place.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your loss, I know how you feel. I adore cats, grew up with them and have 2 more of my own now - although one has been missing for nearly 4 weeks now :(
    The 2 I had growing up, one died being run over when I was 15, the other had to be put down when I was 17 (he was suffering) I'd had them since I was 4 and couldn't remember a time without them, it was very sad and I still think of them now and get upset sometimes. It felt so strange, especially after the second, when I would come home and there were none waiting for me to go up and cuddle.
    You will feel better as time passes though, you'll never forget them but you'll be able to think of them fondly and remember all the good times. Luckily I had quite a lot of pictures of them and what helped was I put my favourite one in a frame and it made me smile when I saw it thinking about how much I loved them, maybe you could see if that helps :)
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. Losing a pet is so much harder than one would think. Sending you hugs <3
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    My heartfelt condolences to you and yur husband. Losing a pet, especially one you've had for that long is much like losing a family member. Hugs to you!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    It is so hard to loose a family member. 15.5 years is a long time. My condolences to you and your husband.