Running issue

Options
I finished my first half marathon in 3 years today at an 1 hour and 52 minutes this morning. That seems like a pretty steady pace but the first three miles were killing me. I eventually went numb and pushed myself through the last 10 or so miles.

I've always have had an issue getting started in weather under 70 degrees. I start off at a steady jogging pace but struggle to keep that pace. I feel myself slowing down even though my muscles and lungs feel fine. I dress for the weather itself as though I'm not running (light long sleeve shirt and capri pants) ... Obviously before the run I carb up like I usually do... I just don't know how to handle breathing in the cooler air I suppose. Is there a way I can train myself to run, no matter the conditions? Mind you I don't have asthma or any joint problems.

Replies

• springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Yes. Run in all conditions. All the time. Snow, ice, rain, scortching temps, cool temps, warm but cool spring and fall months. It's the only way your lungs will adjust. Stinks, but your body learns to adjust. I suffered from asthma for 26 years of my life and running is the only thing (I believe) helped outgrow it. Try to avoid the gym if you can for your runs. I find they don't compare to doing it outdoors.