More effective...Sit ups or Crunches?

Options
Ok so I do crunches because they are easier to do than situps. I feel my crunches the day after but when I do situps I don't feel like I did anything. Advice please!!

Replies

• neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Do planks!!!
  • kymmixxx
    kymmixxx Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Do planks!!!

i choose planks too.. ouch
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Crunches are definitely more effective. You don't have to do a bazillion of them. If you are working to build some ab muscle, it's best to work them a couple times a week for about 10-15 minutes including your obliques. You need to do more than just crunches is what I'm saying.
    Hope that helps.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    On 30DS, I think Jillian says that bicycle crunches are the most effective.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Traditional sit-ups emphasize sitting up rather than merely pulling your sternum down to meet your pelvis. The psoas muscles run from the lower back to the front of the thighs. This muscle action is to pull the thighs closer to the torso.

This action is the major component of sitting up. Because of this, when you are doing sit ups your psoas muscles are the primary muscles being engaged and not your abdominal exercises.

So, sit-ups are a pretty useless exercise if you want to get your abs in shape. Instead, use crunches, because they directly work your abs.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok so I do crunches because they are easier to do than situps. I feel my crunches the day after but when I do situps I don't feel like I did anything. Advice please!!

Neither are very effective. Try this instead: http://www.thepostgame.com/node/1545
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Do planks!!!

And once you get the hang of planks move to pushups- moving and balancing makes it that much more challenging! :smile:
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sit ups works more than just your abs; it works your back and sides as well ... That might be why you don't feel anything if you're use to the workout. hold weights to your chest if that's the case.

I prefer push ups honestly. Planks are great but push ups strengthen your core AND arms at the same time. I believe it to be more efficient than sit ups, crunches and planks combined!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options

Neither are very effective. Try this instead: http://www.thepostgame.com/node/1545
    omg this is killer and so hard for me! I will master it someday!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Do planks!!!

And once you get the hang of planks move to pushups- moving and balancing makes it that much more challenging! :smile:

Yeah! Planks!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Try this pilates set, its similar to one that I do, works all of your abs, not just ones worked in crunches.

http://pilates.about.com/od/pilatesmat/ss/FlatAbSeries.htm
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Actually, you will learn more about your abs from a GOOD Piltates instructor than ANYTHING else you could do. I just finished a "boot camp". I ACE the sit up test and kick everyone's butt, every time!
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Oh, and once you learn Pilates, add a kettlebell or a BOSU to it.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Isometric Vs Isotonic. If you want Ab hypertrophy, stability exercises won't get you there in my opinion. Weighted crunches or sit ups are great, but just like any other muscle, you strive to increase the weight. Make sure you're getting spinal flexion during your movement as well. Pure hip flexion isn't what your'e looking for. It then becomes just a hip flexor exercise.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Weighted 2-point planks and hanging leg raises (legs straight and bring feet above you head). Do these to exercises correctly and you will never have to ask about ab exercises again.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Planking is enough for good core control. Other than that, you don't actually want HUGE abs... six-packs are more about BF%, not big abs.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    Crunches are definitely more effective. You don't have to do a bazillion of them. If you are working to build some ab muscle, it's best to work them a couple times a week for about 10-15 minutes including your obliques. You need to do more than just crunches is what I'm saying.
    Hope that helps.

Good tip. Here I am thinking I'm supposed to do crunches as often as possible. Of course I fit n some cardio too but if I hit the gym 5 times a week I'm doing crunches too each day and probably some at home too. thanks though!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/situps-are-dead/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Depends on the purpose you're going for. Crunches target abs, sit ups involve your hip flexors more with little ab involvement.