1st family bbq

Options
im going to my 1st bbq since being on mfp this weekend, im going to work out what im having before i go so that i can keep track of what im eating,
any tips on which meats are best ect

Replies

• LittleFootHafner
    Options
    What are they serving?

Always try to stick to chicken/shrimp if possible!
    If not, I usually go for a burger over a hot dog.
    Choose a smaller bun (or no bun) if possible
    Stick to leafy salad over macaroni/potato or anything else with mayo in it
  • aldale
    aldale Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken is a good choice if it is available.
  • NeverStopRunning
    Options
    When I go to a BBQ, I grab a chicken breast or piece of pork if available...eyeball 4 oz....I usually add 1/2 cup each of two "bad" salads such as coleslaw or potato, then fill the rest of my plate with greens or veggies if available. A nice meal without overdoing the calories and nobody suspects you are trying to watch what you eat.

I've gotten good at eyeballing portions but if you haven't, size up a 1/2 cup measure before going...

Good luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The bbqs that I go to are also pot luck so I'll bring something I know is fairly low calore (usually whole wheat pasta salad made with tons of veggies and a fat free dressing) and plan on eating mostly that with some bites of whatever else is there.

You can alter some choices too. Say they're serving pulled pork or hamburgers - just skip the bun and have some of the meat.

If you're planning on drinking at all, keep the choices light and drink one or two glasses of water for every drink you have. I find drinking to be the root of my problems at these sort of get togethers because if I get intoxicated and there's still food left, my willpower goes bye-bye and I think - screw it, I'm having some of those brownies!

You can also try to get some exercise in ahead of time to earn extra calories.

But above all, just have fun and if you go overboard a bit, don't worry about it too much - it's just one meal!
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Grab chicken or fish (don't forgot to add a few calories for BBQ sauce!) Try to look for green salads and fresh fruit. Don't deny yourself something you love, just have a little bit! Also, I would bring something. Make a healthy side dish to take with you and eat more of that or a low cal dessert. No one will know if you make fat free brownies or something like that!
  • fattycatty1981
    Options
    thanks im going to do a salad to take with me so at least i know i can fill my plate with that then just choose 1or 2 small size pieces of meat chicken probably. :smile: