using the extra calories

Options
I am finding it hard to use all the extra calories but when i do excercise i find it even more difficult.
do you think it matters if you use the extra calories or not?
sorry i am quite new to this so any suggestions are much appreciated :blushing:

Replies

• allysabee
    allysabee Posts: 123
    Options
    Technically, if you're really trying to lose weight, you're not supposed to be eating your workout calories. You CAN eat them, but you may not lose as much as if you don't.
  • loseatonlady
    Options
    One suggestion is to use them occassionally & if seeing that # bothers you - wait until the end of your day to enter your activity. Best wishes & keep it up!!!:wink:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes it matters quite a bit. And since you don't have much to lose it matters even more. The less you have to lose the smaller your caloric deficit should be. If you don't have much to lose and you are not fueling your body properly you risk burning a high amount of lean muscle and not the fat you are looking to lose.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Technically, if you're really trying to lose weight, you're not supposed to be eating your workout calories. You CAN eat them, but you may not lose as much as if you don't.

This is wrong on so many levels. MFP is designed and set up for you to eat them. MFP gives you a deficit to lose your goal amount of weight without exercise, once you exercise you increase that deficit, a too large of a deficit can have many negative side effects.
  • jgouldsmith
    Options
    Eat them if you're hungry, you'll still lose weight. Plus on those heavy exercise days you need them. Don't ever go below 1200 calories.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I am partial on this one. I try not to eat all of my extra calories, but I also have a lot more to lsoe then you!
    If you are trying to eat them, try higher fat (but healthy) food choices like fruit, whole grain rices/pastas, nuts, nut butters, avacado, etc..
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

This is wrong on so many levels. MFP is designed and set up for you to eat them. MFP gives you a deficit to lose your goal amount of weight without exercise, once you exercise you increase that deficit, a too large of a deficit can have many negative side effects.

I'm with him. This site is "dummy" proof as I call it.

Too large of a negative deficit over a long period of time means your body will not just break down fat, but also muscle. It is a proven fact you need muscle in order to keep your metabolic rate up. I know sometimes it hard to eat back all workout calories (when I play four hours of tennis, I burn somewhere been 1500-2000 calories), but making a health effort too is important.

My recommendations for things to eat that are healthy for your that will get your calories up....
    Almonds/Nuts - Preferably in their natural form
    Protein Shakes with added fruit
    Peanut Butter
    Greek Yogurt
    At meals, eat a little extra chicken, steak, shrimp, etc to add in extra calories that also doubles as a PROTEIN booster, which is awesome. This is the recommendation I give MANY friends so they spread out more of their calories and get the best nutrition possible.
  • loopylou72
    loopylou72 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ok i never thought anyone would tell me to eat more :noway:

thanks guys :bigsmile: