mini meals or 3 square meals??

Options
Just wondering if I could get some input on what works best for all the MFP buddies out there. Let me know what works better for you- do you prefer "snacking" all day with 5-6 mini meals or does 3 square meals a day and maybe 1 snack work better for you?

Replies

• LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I personally feel that it doesn't matter - 1200 calories is 1200 calories.
    Therefore, I usually go with what works best for me (4 medium meals usually!)
    However, I have often heard that it is "healthier" to eat 5-6 smaller meals per day...
  • smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have to do 5-6 small meals. That way I feel full all day and Im not looking for everything and anything to eat
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I do six small meals a day. It seams to keep me from over snacking.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I was eating 3 meals a day with little snacking since January. But then a month or two ago I started getting a quesy stomach every 2 - 3 hours. My body is telling me to eat the 5 - 6 small meals through the day. I am working on getting this right since for lunch I tend to still eat a "meal" that I shouldn't. No matter the size of the lunch I am hungry two hours later :grumble:
  • mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I have to eat between meals or I would die!
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Unless I am crazy busy, I like to have more frequent smaller meals. I like to graze :smile:
  • SophRW
    SophRW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to eat 3 solid meals per day. Planning 6 mini meals takes forever, and I find myself obsessing over MFP too much when I'm eating all the time!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat 3 larger meals, somedays I eat 4-6 smaller meals and/or snacks. It just depends on the day and how I feel. In general though, I prefer or try to eat 4-6 smaller meals rather than 3 larger ones, but sometimes it just doesn't work out!
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I just eat when I'm hungry. I have a smoothie when I leave for work in the morning (8am) and then I'm usually hungry and have a snack around 10am. I have lunch around 1pm and, if I'm hungry, I'll have a snack around 4. Dinner between 5:30-6 and then a glass of milk and a small snack if I need it around 9pm.

I plan my meals and try to leave plenty of room for snacks if I need them.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I mini meal, it's just my preference.
  • potuschris
    Options
    I really think it's a personally preference thing. For me, I found that eating 3 meals (not huge) a day with smaller snacks worked best. I wasn't hungry all the time. I'm so used to 3 meals, that I could never get the 5-6 small meals plan to work.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I eat 6x a day. It works for me because I don't like feeling hungry with the big gaps of time with only 3 meals a day.
  • jemko
    jemko Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do 3 meals and 3 small snacks. Not because of any 'myth' or anything, but just because I'd be starving if I didn't, and I'm hypoglycemic and this helps to prevent my blood sugar from dropping and making me ill. I think it's all up to the individual and what works best for them. :)
  • shellyrulz
    shellyrulz Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 3 meals a day and have a protein and a fruit or veggie as a snack 2 times a day. It helps me not eat after 7:00 at night.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I eat something every few hours. Only because I like to eat...
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I personally feel that it doesn't matter - 1200 calories is 1200 calories.
    Therefore, I usually go with what works best for me (4 medium meals usually!)
    However, I have often heard that it is "healthier" to eat 5-6 smaller meals per day...

I would have to disagree that 1200 calories is 1200 calories. All calories is NOT created equal. How your body metabolizes and breaks down all those calories is very important. too.

However, I do agree with eating schedule that works for each person. My trainer and dietitian have guided me to 6 meals a day to keep my metabolism fired up.
  • Sheeshy
    Sheeshy Posts: 133
    Options
    I do 3 meals and maybe one snack. I've tried small meals throughout the day, and I feel like I'm just constantly eating, never satisfied. I like to eat a nice meal, feel full, and brush my teeth :). I think it's whatever works best for your body.
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    It doesn't matter which way you do it. Science has proven it doesn't have much effect on your metabolism - but for some people its better to space meals out especially those with insulin resistance. So it just depends on what works for you.

If you like to eat often and hate feeling hungry but not mind not feeling full up - have lots of smaller meals.

If you don't like eating often or your too busy and you don't mind going hungry for a short time and like bigger meals - have bigger meals less often.

Its what works for you that counts. Don't struggle to do what other people do just because they say its better. It might be better for them - but you need to work out whats best for you.
  • pinkleah456
    Options
    I eat three small meals and 2-3 snacks a day. I've tried just three bigger meals but I just get hungry in-between and find myself snacking anyway!