How much Protein is Too Much?

Options
With out fail I go over my alotted amount of protein EVERY DAY! Some days by lunch. Is it really that bad to go over something that is supposed to be good for you? Strength training will use a lot of it up, right?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Only too many calories determines too much protein. When strength training, it is encouraged for you to have 1.5 to 2g protein per 1kg of your bodyweight.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Your goals might need to be changed. I eat 40/40/20 ratio.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    MFP sets base protein pretty low, I changed mine to 30% of my daily calories. So now I'm at a 40/30/30 ratio (Carbs, fat, protein).

I average about 110g of protein a day.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There is a limit, but I doubt you are anywhere close. Even then I don't think it's so much too much protein as too little fat/carbs.

What is the target goal you are going over? For comparison's sake, my daily goal is 160g. I found the MFP base estimates to be WAY to low on protein and WAY to high in carbs, so I set my own based on a 20/40/40 ratio of fat/carbs/protein. Your targets should match your goals and your lifestyle.
  • me525
    me525 Posts: 155
    Options
    MFP says I should only get 40 (g?) a day, and I go way over that. I'm good at keeping my cards in check and my fat and calories. I was just wanting to make sure I wouldn't cause some "dietary/intestional" issue:)

Thanks for all the advice!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    MFP says I should only get 40 (g?) a day, and I go way over that. I'm good at keeping my cards in check and my fat and calories. I was just wanting to make sure I wouldn't cause some "dietary/intestional" issue:)

Thanks for all the advice!
    40 is really low... I do that in 1 meal.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The protein goal set by MFP tends to be quite low. Shoot for .5 to 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body weight.