Vegan? good or bad ??

Options
For the last couple days, I have been making a pretty serious attempt (minus a kit kat and some cookies) at trying to switch to a vegan diet. However, because I have read a few things here and there, I am concerned about the actual nutritional value of that type of diet. I don't want to go back on my resolve, but I am trying to solicit opinions... apparently there are different types of vegetarians, including something called a flexatarian which is apparently how I ate before... so I'm wondering if I can be a flex-egan...or veg-egan .... at what point does monitoring supplements for ingredients become excessive? I have always heard that whey is a more complete protein and your body needs all the amino acids... so how do you make up for those when you don't eat any animal products, or take supplement derived from non plant sources ....

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein powder has more protein than whey.
  • CalamityCat
    Options
    I'm afraid I don't have the answers but will be watching intently to see if anyone does, as I want to go vegan but have a carnivore bf who worries I'll perish without dairy.....

Catherine
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I am vegan. I was a vegetarian from the age of 10-20, and have been vegan since I was 20. I do not believe in supplements, because I truly believe if you are eating a balanced diet, that there is no need. I have never been deficient in a vitamin or nutrient either, and my level of health is outstanding given my medical condition (I have Lupus). I will say though, that if you are not willing to fully commit to it in a healthy, whole foods way, then it may not be the best thing for you, as processed vegan foods are no better for you than processed non-vegan foods. I find being vegan very simple, but some people think it's extremely difficult and slip up. I won't tell anybody that my way is the one and only right way, but if you want to give it a go, I suggest reading the Kind Diet, and the China Study...these books are extremely helpful for people just starting out on a meat-free path...best of luck to you!
  • jpaden
    jpaden Posts: 21
    Options
    Why did yo decide to go vegan? Due to agricultural practices in this country and the fact that most vegans choose to eat a highly processed diet there isn't much to be said for the belief that they are doing it to save the planet.
    Vegetarian diet with a focus on eating locally and which included eggs and cheese would be healthier and a more conscience choice. In my opinion.
  • SarahFrankel
    SarahFrankel Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan almost two years (in October) and while I'm not totally versed on all the different types of protein and supplements and whatnot, I do know that I'm really healthy (as far as blood work goes and how I'm feeling) and that's likely because I eat a wide variety of foods. When I do use protein powder, I use rice protein. I do take a Vitamin B12 supplement once a week just in case and thanks to MFP, I can monitor iron and calcium, which I seem to be doing just fine in on my own :)

It can be done, just takes a lot of patience, experimenting and learning what is going to work for you. But it does get easier and becomes a really great thing.
  • WordToYourMamma
    Options
    I was vegan for five years. I ate a varied diet or all things non-animal. I was thin, but healthy. I never felt like my body was nutrient deficient. I think everyone over-analyzes and over-catagorizes EVERYTHING! For crying out loud, flexovegetarian??? If you want to be a vegan, do some moderate research, eat a varied diet, and take some regular multi-vitamins. If you are doing all these things, and eating enough calories, you should thrive. Veganism is not a new concept, people have been living on vegan diets throughout the ages and I am sure they never heard of half the nonesense people fill our heads with (probably in order to sell their product).
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Vegan refers to eliminating all animal products from your life, not just food.

Vegetarian is not eating any animal products.
    Lacto- veg is making an exception for dairy, ovo-veg is making and exception for eggs, and pescetarian is excluding all meat, milk, and eggs except fish.

Why are your reasons for going vegan? Do maintain such a restrictive lifestyle you need to have strong convictions. If you are doing it for health reasons I don’t see a need to go vegan. Eggs are a great source of protein and if you get them from a local farmer vs. a store you know they are treated right.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You can get all the protein your body needs from plants. I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but you can live healthily as either.
  • tsarperknip
    Options
    "Complete protein" or "protein combining" is a myth that has been around for a long time now and has been pretty well debunked. [Ref: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0820/is_n211/ai_17010257/] As long as you're eating a well-rounded diet, your body will get all the various amino acids it needs, no matter when you eat it or in what form.

Over 20+ years, I've been at various points on the vegetarian spectrum -- from strict vegan to omnivore (and please, unless you are a wolf and eat ONLY meat, you are an omnivore, not a carnivore). Veganism, despite my best and well-researched efforts, did not work well for my body. I was draggy and tired -- and I kept losing weight even when I didn't want to. At the same time, eating meat more than once a week or so has the same effect, but I gain weight instead of losing it.

So, big surprise here, like so many other things, it's all about what works for you, for your specific body, and less about what's "good or bad."
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Vegan is definitely good if you have that sort of discipline. I do not. I appreciate the many argments out there for it. Hey, if a burger lover like Bill Clinton can make the switch, then anyone can. I just haven't got to that point yet.

I read an article lately about how some Ultimate Fighters have switched to vegan diets and swear by it. It does take a lot of planning and near constant snacking and eating because of the amount of calories they expend in training but it works for them.

As far as the argument about at the point at which it become excessive, well that's the same argument I once made about meal tracking. If you really want to do and you believe in it, then it isn't excessive at all.

As for the supplements, I'd approach them with the same scepticism that I approach most supplements and vitamins. I'm not saying they are bad - I take a multivitamin and then some vitamin D in the winter - just that I am not totally sold on them for the same reason that I am not sold on things like enriched white bread. Once you start creating something artificially, no matter how many vitamins and nutrients you stuff into a product, you will never replicate the vitamins and nutrients that you would find in the natural product. So be wary of what the labels promise because generally the natural, real food will do you more good over all.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Why did yo decide to go vegan? Due to agricultural practices in this country and the fact that most vegans choose to eat a highly processed diet there isn't much to be said for the belief that they are doing it to save the planet.
    Vegetarian diet with a focus on eating locally and which included eggs and cheese would be healthier and a more conscience choice. In my opinion.

I find this extremely biased. How did you manage to poll "most" vegans about their processed food habits?

A vegan diet can be perfectly healthy for humans. As for supplements, take them if you need them, but a varied vegan diet doesn't. I myself take a sub-lingual B12 supplement once a month or less.

And getting protein is no sweat, really.
  • cmsiemsen
    cmsiemsen Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I find this extremely biased. How did you manage to poll "most" vegans about their processed food habits?

A vegan diet can be perfectly healthy for humans. As for supplements, take them if you need them, but a varied vegan diet doesn't. I myself take a sub-lingual B12 supplement once a month or less.

Agreed. I've been a vegetarian for about four years and am currently making the switch to vegan. For me, it's been REALLY easy. If you love cheese, find substitutes. If you love your scrambled eggs in the morning, tofu scramble does the job (it's all about the seasoning). I eat processed foods very minimally. It's all about whole grains, fruits, veggies, nuts and beans for me. I don't want the hormones, and cruelty on my plate. I like my natural hormones best :o). But it's really all about what works best for you!

I found that "The Kind Diet" was really helpful. I'm about to read "The China Study" too. "Skinny Bit*h" is only for those who like a swift kick in the pants. :tongue:
  • akgary
    akgary Posts: 52
    Options
    you know i have heard good things about vegan and vegatarian i think it truly is your desicion i would reccomend doing the research and making sure you are really informed then try it out if it doesnt feel right to you maybe it was the wrong resolve either way its your desicion in the end and you want to make the best descion based on that. sorry my spelling is awful:)
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options

"Like"
  • liza001
    liza001 Posts: 77
    Options
    I've been vegan almost two years (in October) and while I'm not totally versed on all the different types of protein and supplements and whatnot, I do know that I'm really healthy (as far as blood work goes and how I'm feeling) and that's likely because I eat a wide variety of foods. When I do use protein powder, I use rice protein. I do take a Vitamin B12 supplement once a week just in case and thanks to MFP, I can monitor iron and calcium, which I seem to be doing just fine in on my own :)

It can be done, just takes a lot of patience, experimenting and learning what is going to work for you. But it does get easier and becomes a really great thing.

I seem to naturally be moving towards a vegetarian lifestyle... And would like to be vegan one day.. Most Drs that I have seen over the years are and recommend vegetarian lifestyle which shocked me and is a change from years ago...

My question to the above post "I can monitor iron and calcium, which I seem to be doing just fine in on my own :)" is:
    How are you doing just fine... I have been tracking my calcium and especially iron and I cannot get anywhere near the daily requirements...
    As for the supplements, I'd approach them with the same scepticism that I approach most supplements and vitamins. I'm not saying they are bad - I take a multivitamin and then some vitamin D in the winter - just that I am not totally sold on them for the same reason that I am not sold on things like enriched white bread. Once you start creating something artificially, no matter how many vitamins and nutrients you stuff into a product, you will never replicate the vitamins and nutrients that you would find in the natural product. So be wary of what the labels promise because generally the natural, real food will do you more good over all.

Currently, the main way I have more iron is by having all bran which has iron supplement in it... I'm one of those who feel I like to have my nutrition from natural food in it's natural form.... Calcium: I haven't given up the dairy part as of yet...

Can anyone shed some light on how to have the daily recommended amount of iron and calcium without supplements? (and staying within calorie allowance (even for maintenance as weight loss is only temporary) I would appreciate it.... Thanks in advance
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options

I seem to naturally be moving towards a vegetarian lifestyle... And would like to be vegan one day.. Most Drs that I have seen over the years are and recommend vegetarian lifestyle which shocked me and is a change from years ago...

My question to the above post "I can monitor iron and calcium, which I seem to be doing just fine in on my own :)" is:
    How are you doing just fine... I have been tracking my calcium and especially iron and I cannot get anywhere near the daily requirements...

Currently, the main way I have more iron is by having all bran which has iron supplement in it... I'm one of those who feel I like to have my nutrition from natural food in it's natural form.... Calcium: I haven't given up the dairy part as of yet...

Can anyone shed some light on how to have the daily recommended amount of iron and calcium without supplements? (and staying within calorie allowance (even for maintenance as weight loss is only temporary) I would appreciate it.... Thanks in advance
    I am a vegan and get over the daily recommended amount of calcium and iron by eating green beans, black eyed peas, brocolli, spinach, kale, lentils, hemp, tofu, tempeh, etc. It is easy to gain these nutrients if you are eating a well balanced diet.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Also, a lot of plant milks are fortified with calcium.

And lots of fruits and veggies have iron. *BEFORE* i was even vegetarian my iron level was too low to give blood once and they gave me a pamphlet on foods with iron. Aside from liver and a couple other meats they were all dried fruits, veggies, and dark greens on the list.
  • liza001
    liza001 Posts: 77
    Options
    Thanks to both of you... And yes I'm not surprised that you were low iron on meats... There is something health orgs are missing isnt there...

Here is my research on Iron calcium and potassium that I posted a month ago... With watching what I am eating nutrition wise I have discovered that I did need pasta bread .. I cut it out because I was getting my carbs from sweet potato, corn etc.. And felt eating "clean" meant nothing my caveman ancestors would not be able to eat... I found I do need to eat pasta and bread and have lost a kg this week after only losing 1 kg in the past 6 weeks... (I know there are other factors etc, just generalizing and didn't want this post toooo long) :laugh:

Ok this is what I have found... World's healthiest Foods by George Mateljan.. Looked over the net and he kept popping up I bought his book a year or so ago, and I keep going back to it.. I give it 11/10

My main interest with this, is reducing hunger... If I am eating all the required nutrients then hunger should reduce, I suspect, hope.

When I really got serious in February, I noticed a difference of not being dizzy at meal times anymore. I have friends that go all day without eating and then at the end of the day say maybe they should eat something! I would like to know that feeling, even though I would not, not eat, I would like to not have the nagging hunger feeling that I overcomes me

George does very lightly promote eating meats in his book yet on his top list of iron, meats were not mentioned on the iron list at all... Interesting!

Here is the conclusion:-

Spinach 1cup/41cals/35.7%DI Iron/24.5%DI Calcium/24%DI Potassium
    Turmeric 2tsp/16cals/10.4%DI Iron/3.3%DI Potassium
    Swiss Chard 1cup/35cals/22%DI 
    Basil 2tsp/8cals/7.1%DI Iron 6.3%DI Calcium/2.9%DI Potassium
    Cinnamon 2tsp/12cals/9.6%DI Iron 5.6%DI Calcium
    Romaine Lettuce 2cups/16cals/6.8%DI Iron 4%DI Calcium/9.3%DI Potassium
    Tofu 4oz/86cals/33.8%DI Iron 10%DI Calcium
    Shiitake Mushrooms 8oz/87cals/19.9%DI
    Shrimp 4oz/112cals/19.4%DI
    Green Beans 1cup/44cals/8.9%DI Iron 5.8%DI Calcium/10.7%DI Potassium
    Broccoli 1cup/44cals/7.6%DI Iron 7.5%DI Calciu/m14.4%DI Potassium
    Asparagus 1cup/43cals/7.3%DI Iron 3.6%DI Calcium/8.2%DI Potassium
    Kale 1cup/36cals/6.5%DI Iron 9.4%DI Calcium/8.5%DI Potassium
    Celery 1cup/19cals/2.7%DI Iron 4.8%DI Calcium/9.8%DI Potassium
    Cabbage 1cup/22cals/2.9%DI Iron 7.4%DI Calcium
    Parsley 2tbs/3cals/2.6%DI
    Dairy (we all know) did we know that yoghurt was the best by weight and daily value 
    Yoghurt 1cup/155/44.7%DI Calcium 
    Oranges 1sm/62cals/5.2%DI Calcium
    Crimini Mushrooms 5oz/31cals/2.6%DI Calcium/18.1%DI Potassium
    Spinach 1cup/41cals/24%DI Potassium
    Winter Squash 80cals/25.6%DI Potassium
    Tomatoes 1cup/38cals/11.4%DI Potassium
    Collard Greens  49cals/14.1%DI Potassium
    Summer Squash  36cals/10%DI Potassium
    Cantaloupe 1cup/56cals/14.1%DI Potassium
    Carrots 1cup/53cals/11.3%DI Potassium
    Beets 1cup/75cals/14.8%DI Potassium
    Papaya 1/119/22.3%DI Potassium
    Cucumbers 1cup/14cals/4.3%DI Potassium
    Bell pepper 1cup/25cals/4.7%DI Potassium

Now to work on next weeks meals....
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Read a real book on vegan nutrition. Vegans are (for the most part) healthy. You can easily get enough protein, iron, calcium, zinc, etc. Can you eat crap and get nutrition? Nope, but the same goes for a lacto-ovo or omnivore.
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian (vegetarian that eats dairy and eggs) for 14+ years, and was completely vegan for 2 years. As far as health, I've never had a problem with getting enough protein or sufficient vitamins. The only thing I had trouble with when I went vegan was that I had to take B12 and iron supplements (I'm slightly anemic) - though both of those you can get through fortified cereals and other foods. You can get protein from legumes and nuts, including soybeans (tofu, soy products). Ultimately, your choice to be vegetarian or vegan depends on what type of diet you'll be able to stick to and be healthy on.