Help! getting knee surgery tomorrow...

Options
Hi all,

I'm a sporadic user of MFP but I am back needing you guys because I'm getting knee surgery tomorrow on BOTH KNEES! I am very active ordinarily--a runner--and i've had a few before and it is definitely some of the most depressing times in my life!

But my real dilemma is the eating part--it is hard for me to go from eating for energy to eating a lot less while not moving at all. The last times i've gained weight....Any tips? I know I will lose some muscle weight, but I'd prefer not to get fat along the way...

THanks all!

Replies

• mlck2323
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm a sporadic user of MFP but I am back needing you guys because I'm getting knee surgery tomorrow on BOTH KNEES! I am very active ordinarily--a runner--and i've had a few before and it is definitely some of the most depressing times in my life!

But my real dilemma is the eating part--it is hard for me to go from eating for energy to eating a lot less while not moving at all. The last times i've gained weight....Any tips? I know I will lose some muscle weight, but I'd prefer not to get fat along the way...

THanks all!
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    one thing i would defitely recommend are isometrics. exercises where you hold the pose, instead of doing a "rep". this wont cause any trauma to your knees, and you'll be getting at least some activitiy. no pointers abou the eating, though. sorry :)
  • mlck2323
    Options
    thanks! I have done pilates in the past during recovery, that was really great. I will make up a plan for myself...
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Like you, I need to have surgery, but I keep putting it off because I can't imagine not exercising for six weeks. Is there by chance a gym or something nearby that has a pool you could use? I hear swimming can be great exercise for the muscles, but does not put a lot of stress on your joints (although I don't for one second think that if I do that I'll look like Michael Phelps).

Many happy wishes on a successful surgery and a speedy recovery!
  • shenitamo
    shenitamo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Grab those hand weights and do as much of that as possible. And yes, for a few days...depending on what kind of surgery you are going to have, you aren't going to be running any marathons, so work on those isometric exercises. You will be surprised how quick;y you lose your muscle mass when you aren't using it. Work on mobility as well, which will be helped by icing to get the swelling down. Are you going to do PT at all afterwards? One thing I can promise you though; don't let your fear of gaining some weight hinder your rehab--you will just end up hurting yourself and gaining WAY more weight because of that in the end. Take care of yourself and good luck!
  • mlck2323
    Options
    thanks for the tips! If you think of any others, let me know. I had a friend just write me an email that this can be like my new "marathon" consisting of physical therapy and healthy mental/eating practices!!! I like this idea...
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I know you've gotten some great advice here...I just wanted to wish you good luck with your surgery and a speedy recovery!!:flowerforyou:
    ~Roni
  • kristineh86
    Options
    Hi!!
    First of all, I hope your surgery went well. Secondly, I can relate to you in some way. No, I have not had surgery on my knees yet (knock on wood) but I have a chance that I will need to soon. I am a runner as well. I started it to lose weight and then I just found that I need it in my weekly schedule for my own sanity. It is my stress reliever and I thrive off of it so I can definitely see how horrible it would be to know you won't be able to run for a long period of time. I wish I had some advice to you but just know that you will run again and you will be stronger than ever. It's not like these are the last 4-6 weeks of your life! Just try to get through them as optimistically as possible and then start back up slowly. Before you know it, you will be back to where you started from and even better. Take care of yourself though and don't push it. I am afraid that if you do pilates or anything else you will hurt yourself again! Make sure you are careful and get the doctors orders first! I wish you a speedy recovery and best of luck! :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Keep crunchy veggies readily available. Make dips like hummus or tzikii. If you dont have fattening stuff in the house, you wont be able to eat it when you get bored. I had an inj and was down for 2 months...carrots were my best friend!

I was going to say dont forget upper body...you can even get it going aerobically if you use light weights and do it in succession. I do that when my foot hurts. I sit in a chair, back straight. I do 10 bicep curls, then 10 triceps, 10 shoulder presses, 10 chest flies...then start over. My HRM shows I kill a good 200 cals in 20 minutes if I do it to my favorite music!!

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • mlck2323
    Options
    those are great ideas--and thanks for being able to relate kristine!

I got ACL/meniscus surgery yesterday and they took the graft from my other (good) knee. It is my third acl on my left knee! So, I will be not weight-bearing for six weeks on my left, and no running for at least four months :(

I'm trying to stay optimistic..but its tough that I have to put weight on the knee that the graft was taken from..it has been bleeding a lot!

Merry christmas....!!
  • shenitamo
    shenitamo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Did you get a CPM machine? Continuous passive movement... I had that for my ACL surgery and it helped to keep my knee and leg muscles moving...evening when I was asleep! If you didn't get one, ask your PT or your ortho doctor about it.
    I wish you the best on your recovery :)
  • mlck2323
    Options
    When the surgeon went into the knee, he found that he needed to repair the meniscus in addition to the ACL, and thus, no bending for a couple weeks so no machine! I wish! I've heard those are great. Thanks for the advice anyways!

Happy New Years' to all, from my couch :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am glad sx went well! At least you know about the food intake, so it may make it easier for you to not gain weight.

I wish you well!:flowerforyou: