Common Goals on friend requests

Options
I was just reading thru an earlier post about why I can't send out alot of friend requests at one time and I read a reply that stated some people just like to collect friends and not read about them and see if you have something in common. Is it just me but isn't this website about fitness? So the common goal for everyone would be .......fitness. there's our common goal. I don't feel like I have to read your profile in order to know that we are both on here for fitness in one way or another. Don't get me wrong I have read a few. I feel like I can get to know who ever you are when you post something in the threads on my home page. I'm a people person. I enjoy chatting with new people. No matter who you are or what you look like. Anway, LETS GET FIT PEOPLE!!!!

Replies

• TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I read the profile because everyone is not just here for fitness. Some people use it as just as a social networking site and don't focus on the weight loss. The profile allows you to get a feel for what they are doing and what they want to accomplish. Unfortunately, like everything else on the internet you have to be careful.
  • kellymarie619
    Options
    "Fitness" means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. There are people who need to lose 100+ pounds. There are some that are struggling with the last 10; there are vegans, vegetarians, meat eaters; people who want to gain or bulk up; there are exercise fanatics and people that only count calories....Actually reading people's profiles will help you match up with the very best people to help you on your journey. I think adding friends without any knowledge of them or their goals is pointless. Who cares if you have 300 friends if you don't really interact with any of them? If you take the time and invest in people they can really give you good support.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i only accept requests with messages and i will delete people if they do not log on frequently, if they don't eat more than 1200 calories each day, or if they do an excessive amount of whining or talk about "TOM"...these things just bother me and i have tons of other friends that I like to support with out reading though posts that annoy me

i agree with the above poster, "fitness" is different to everyone
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    The only common "fit" goals my friends list has in common are misfits. I love 'em all.
  • chantihayes
    Options
    "Fitness" means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. There are people who need to lose 100+ pounds. There are some that are struggling with the last 10; there are vegans, vegetarians, meat eaters; people who want to gain or bulk up; there are exercise fanatics and people that only count calories....Actually reading people's profiles will help you match up with the very best people to help you on your journey. I think adding friends without any knowledge of them or their goals is pointless. Who cares if you have 300 friends if you don't really interact with any of them? If you take the time and invest in people they can really give you good support.

WSS ^^^^
    For example, I don't want to be friends with someone who is at a maintaining point.. I want someone to push through on the weight loss journey together :)
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is on this site for the same reasons. While it may be about fitness in some way shape or form, the goals may be very different. I have always read a person's profile before sending a request. It is also a good idea to read someone's profile first because some people may not be accepting any more friend requests.
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options

Agree 100%
    Well said.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    Seems a little strange to sign up to a site called "my fitness pal" just to socialize and not have one inkling or thought of fitness as your purpose of joining the site....but ok. I totally agree that this is a social network....but for fitness. I don't know maybe that's just my crazy thinking.
  • chantihayes
    Options
    Seems a little strange to sign up to a site called "my fitness pal" just to socialize and not have one inkling or thought of fitness as your purpose of joining the site....but ok. I totally agree that this is a social network....but for fitness. I don't know maybe that's just my crazy thinking.

It DOES Seem strange.. but it happens... I had some guy request me on here and he has like 300 lady friends and all he does it get on here to flirt with chicks..... think about it... at the end of the day, it is a social site.. people use f/b and myspace (used myspace lol) to hook up, so why not a site with lots of fit people?
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Well as the site is about fitness and not popularity I suppose most people prefer that you have an actual reason for befriending them. It's weird but they like support to go both ways. If you collect a million friends, are you going to check up on each one every day, posting praise for their successes and support for their failures? I somehow don't think their is enough hours in the day. Few people want to be collected like someone's fan club.

with all the differing opinions on weight loss, using drugs or not, surgery or not, this fad diet or no fad diets, people in general want a support group, not a constant debate.

If my plan is to run east, my friends usually are also running east or have run east or intend to eventually run east. They are not arguing about how stupid it is it run east, nor are the completely ignoring that I am running at all and focusing on posting about themselves to the masses.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    Who cares if you have 300 friends if you don't really interact with any of them?

I think that's where I differ with a few of you. I will interact with you. I WILL interact with you even if you don't share the same goals as me. I WILL cheer you on after I've reached my goal and you're still trying to get to yours. I WILL boost your spirits when you feel like you need some uplifting thoughts. But that's just me. I know there are so few us out there in the world...maybe i should sprinkle some of my good spirits around more often so we can all try to open up to people without trying to stay in our little boxes.