-facepalm- God-d@amned ground beef

Options
So I'm at my parents' house, was doing well. I managed to appease my mom's desire to pump me full of sugar by taking one bite of potato cake and one bite of some caramel thing my stepdad whipped up. Dinner was brisket, but I managed to slice the fat off. This morning, my stepdad offered to make eggs. I asked for whites only and he did that. Got paired with some broiled bacon. So far so good.

Then for lunch he makes hamburger patties. I take a 3-4 oz portion, give myself some kudos for survivng lunch...only to catch a glimpse of the ground meat package. 75% lean. UGH. I feeeel my cholesterol going through the roof!

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    So I'm at my parents' house, was doing well. I managed to appease my mom's desire to pump me full of sugar by taking one bite of potato cake and one bite of some caramel thing my stepdad whipped up. Dinner was brisket, but I managed to slice the fat off. This morning, my stepdad offered to make eggs. I asked for whites only and he did that. Got paired with some broiled bacon. So far so good.

Then for lunch he makes hamburger patties. I take a 3-4 oz portion, give myself some kudos for survivng lunch...only to catch a glimpse of the ground meat package. 75% lean. UGH. I feeeel my cholesterol going through the roof!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    eh it could have been way worse. 75% lean is not that bad and you took a good sized portion. at least you are trying to be mindful and imo, doing a really good job of it around family/holidays
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

Good grief, give yourself a break, you are making the best of a difficult situation, Trimming the Fat, Egg whites for Breakfast, etc. The world isn't going to suddenly turn into a low fat, spa cuisine laden place, so you will sometimes need to do just what you've doing.

Give yourself credit for the good choices you make, that will reinforce the behavior. What can be fret about thinks outside your control like the percentage of fat in ground beef at someone else house? You made a good choice by limiting the portion.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker:

Did he cook it on a grill? or in a fry pan?? If grilled it will reduce the fat by at least 50%
  • Phoenixflame
    Options
    Sorry for venting guys :blushing:

It's easier for me to express my frustration the internet...so that I don't snap at my parents. I've been on my own for 4 months...food being out of my control will take some getting used to.

Eh, it was in a pan, with a little bit of oil. But I don't care much anymore. I was just having a bit of a spaz.
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I just made ground beef/veal with white bread, pecorino romano cheese MEATBALLS fried in olive oil! I ate 4 of them! Good lord! I hate this time of the season!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    jenbar, I make a similar meatball. But I use asiago cheese and add minced garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, egg. The last time I used some of my arnolds double fiber bread and no one knew the difference. I also quit frying them. I bake them in the oven at 350F. If you use parchment paper they don't stick.

I have to say these are an all year thing for us. I use them on sandwiches, in sauce with pasta. I make tiny ones and put them in soup. And I always snack on a few when I make them! I will bake a large batch. Some small, some big and freeze them.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat doesn't automatically shoot your cholesterol through the roof. Several factors need to be in place for it even to be a problem. It's important stuff used for hormone production and cell membranes, so don't hate on sat fat too much. :wink:
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    hang in there. you are doing really good, asking for the things you would like to eat. and they are listening to you. it's all good. keep up the good work. if they don't have some of the foods you are used to eating ask if you can help by buying a few things, fresh fruit, veggies, or even cooking a healthy meal for them.
    have a good holiday and keep up the good work.
  • Phoenixflame
    Options
    Yeah! That's my mode of thinking. I guess if I sounded spazzy, it's because I'd never snip at someone who worked to fix me a meal, no matter how unhealthy it was. Not saying I'd gobble it down either, but you get the point. But that doesn't mean I don't get a bit frustrated sometimes.

Particularly because my mom goes "You're going to have to show me what you did to lose so much weight!" I just answer "Um...I work out and watch what I put in my mouth." She looks like she doesn't believe me.

But my plan is to cook Christmas breakfast, and show how you can have a big, delicious, healthy breakfast.