1800 calories a day!?

Options
Heya I have an "allowance" of 1800 calories a day. For me to see my 2lb a week goal do I NEED to make sure to eat this many? Or is that just the maximum? TIA!! :happy:

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    This is the MINIMUM. When you workout you should eat back most of those calories to fuel your body. If you don't right away that's ok but when you plateau you'll notice you need to eat more to lose.
  • Missy0104
    Options
    If you put in that you want to lose 2 lbs a week and that's what MFP gave you then yup...that's what you should eat. If you put in exercise....you should eat those calories too.

As you loose, your daily calories will go down too.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    That's a maximum. However excercise calories will make that number increase.
    Just don't go under 1200
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I believe its your max. But i had people on here say that you should try to stay as close to that as possible to give your body enough energy to burn the fat your trying to get rid of (or something like that). Its hard for me because some days, like today, im not really in the mood to eat.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 1200 and do not eat back my exercise calories.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    That number is the net target you should be shooting for at the end of the day. So after you've exercised, eaten, etc etc, you should net 1800 calories each day.
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    A total of 85 pounds in 8 months and I have NEVER eaten back all my exercise cals.......just saying.....
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I have mine set at 1200 and do not eat back my exercise calories.

In most cases this is not a healthy practice. It may work for you, I don't know you or your lifestyle, but I would never recommend this.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If MFP gave you an 1800 cal/day goal, then that's your goal. And close does count (just like horseshoes and grenades). Plus or minus 50 cals is in the target area... and eat the exercise calories that are added back to your target.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you stay close to it each day you should lose at the pace you set. A little over or under won't make much difference, just try to make 1800 the average. And if you "earn" more calories from exercise try to eat those too.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    This is always so hard for me too. They do say to eat back your exercise calories- but I've never had success eating back all that I am allotted. It seems to me anytime I have lost significant weight with exercise is during times when I'm so busy I forget to eat and don't go near my daily calories- so I'm listening to you all and just trusting what you're saying-
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Mine is set to 1200 and I eat back my exercise calories.

1800 a day gives you a good choice of lots of healthy meals...and with your exercise calories also...you will never go hungry.

Plan your day and make sure you log everything and you will do really well.

good luck on your journey x
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    i don't understand how someone can have calories set at 1200 and NOT eat their exercise calories back.... unless they are only burning about 200 calories a day...?? Thing is, though, everyone is different, and what works for them did not work for me. I burn between 600-800 a day, and when I was eating only 1200 calories AND eating mine back, I was dizzy, hungry, and grumpy!! I upped mine to 1400 lately. I am a firm believer in eating to your NET!
    If MFP has calculated, based on your current weight, that you need 1800 calories a day to lose weight and stay healthy, then that is what your NET calories should be - that means eat back your exercise calories as close to 1800 as you can. Good luck, and keep it up. As you lose, you will be dropping your calorie net. Every 10 pounds I lose, I use an online BMI calculator to see how many calories I should be eating at my current weight based on my activity level.
    Most importantly, this isn't JUST about losing weight, I hope. Its about being healthier, replacing fat with muscle, and being sure you will be able to maintain any loss that you have by making this a part of your life for the REST of what is hopefully a long life. Enjoy the ride!! Good luck!!
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I know most people are saying to eat back your exercise cals, but i don't know if i can. I have my whole day maxed out with what i plan to eat and it says i still have to eat 695. How is that possible? At this point, the thought of eating more than i already planned makes me want to throw up. What are some filler foods i can eat and give the calories but not the fat?
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    things like almonds and avocados have healthy fats and high calorific content for small amounts :)
  • Missy0104
    Options
    I know most people are saying to eat back your exercise cals, but i don't know if i can. I have my whole day maxed out with what i plan to eat and it says i still have to eat 695. How is that possible? At this point, the thought of eating more than i already planned makes me want to throw up. What are some filler foods i can eat and give the calories but not the fat?

That's when I'd add in some lean protein....
  • Buddha76
    Options
    Mine is set at 1870... Downfall for me is I don't normally eat that much to begin with, so I'm having to force myself to do it. How does this work for people that can't exercise though. Anything I do has to be done in the AC. Really don't want to sound lazy but, I'm stuck at my desk at home most of the day. I have stage 4 emphysema and congestive heart failure and COPD. So breathing is a big issue, and also have a grapefruit size hernia that is putting a damper on being able to do much straining,
  • tdnapper
    Options
    Thanks for asking the questions about calories. My calories are set at 1740 which is several hundred calories higher than my friends. I have tried eating under the amount and have not loss weight. I know now to target eating the set amount daily
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I think most people in this thread (myself included) assumed that when you setup your MFP account/goals, that your lifestyle/activity level DOES NOT include exercise.

Assuming that's the case, and you are tracking your exercise separately, then you should be eating back most of your exercise calories.

If you set it up so that your exercise is part of your lifestyle activity level, then you don't need to track your exercise separately and you don't need to eat back your calories.
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Are you brestfeeding? 1800 sounds high for someone shootig to lose 2 lb a week. 1800 is how I maintain 124 lbs at 5'7"..... you should eat what it says and in addition you eat more when you exercise. People try to change how this site is designed which is not a good idea. Always try to get "goal" number as clpse as possible to "net" and track your exercise.