Stupid things in preparation for Hurricane

Options
pauldbarnhart
pauldbarnhart Posts: 5,999 Member
Watching people prepare for the big hurricane this week, there have been a lot of things I've seen that I just shake my head at, and wonder what these people are thinking. Let's list a few:

1) Buying a two week supply of milk. When your power is out for a week, how do you keep the milk from spoiling?

2) Extra ice cream... (see comment above)

3) Taking your car to the car wash...in case the power is out and the car wash doesn't work after the hurricane...DUH.

4) Renting extra movies to watch in case the storm knocks out your cable. (Umm..chances are, your power is out too...)

Anybody seen anything else?

Replies

• omgsaleslady
    omgsaleslady Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i can't explain the carwash, but lots of people have generators. :)
  • Dolphingirlie81
    Options
    Haha, that's funny and true. People do that in Tennessee as well. Whenever they call for bad storms or tornado watches people go out and gallons of milk, bread etc. And there are people that go shopping in it as well. I used to work in retail and everytime the weather got bad people would go shopping and come into my store and cry saying there is a tornado warning. And i'm left shaking my head, then why are you out driving in it and shopping??!
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Generators!
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    There is one piece of advice I have never understood: Get cash from the ATM.

Here is my thing: If they tell you to fill up the car with gas, have a supply of water on hand, and refill your meds because you may not be able to get anywhere for a while...why would you get cash? It's not like you would be able to spend the money anywhere...

Sorry if it seems like I'm venting, I live in eastern NC, so I have had to hear about these things all week, and it's getting old. I have been through this before, I know what to do.

And I did not buy any milk, cheese, or ice cream lol.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    brilliant!
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    living on the coast of Texas, I've had to prepare for, sit out, or run from more hurricanes then I care to remember. My preps typically include only necessary food, water, and BEER.

dumbest thing I have seen, and seems to happen EVERYTIME, is people using camp stoves IN their houses and filling their BOATS up with gas.... when some people can't find gas for their cars... ugh!
  • pauldbarnhart
    pauldbarnhart Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    the generator purchases scare me... so many people don't know how to operate a generator safely, and end up killing themselves or family members.

Or...they find out they didn't need it, and return it the following week.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I swear half of the human race has mental issues.....if i was that worried I'd USE UP all of my perishables and get cans and a can opener...
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    There is one piece of advice I have never understood: Get cash from the ATM.

Here is my thing: If they tell you to fill up the car with gas, have a supply of water on hand, and refill your meds because you may not be able to get anywhere for a while...why would you get cash? It's not like you would be able to spend the money anywhere...

Sorry if it seems like I'm venting, I live in eastern NC, so I have had to hear about these things all week, and it's getting old. I have been through this before, I know what to do.

And I did not buy any milk, cheese, or ice cream lol.

This actually happened to me before, atm's were out, electricity was out, yet there were stores and gas stations that were open. Just because electricity is out doesn't mean the atm network is up. I wished I had cash on me for those 3 days.
  • ohamberx0
    ohamberx0 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Most of the gas stations here are out of gas. Hmmm... where you going?? I understand to use car to charge phone and stuff, but really?
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I...I think I may love you. Seriously, people are freaking out over this for no reason. I'm not saying don't be safe and stock up on SENSIBLE things, but dear sweet baby jesus I went to a store yesterday and saw a woman with literally 20 24-packs of water. CLP is estimating a week without power tops, IF the power goes out. I don't understand the need to stock up on EVERYTHING. If you wouldn't eat 17 loaves of bread in the course of one normal week, chances are you won't this week, either.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Gulf Coast, and people always buy out all the water, bread, and milk. My family always bought chips and cookies :/

My parents have a gigantic generator though
  • jendra11339
    Options
    Putting tape on the windows.

I live on the east coast of Florida and I have prepared for more hurricanes than I can remember.
    Luckily, we have never have had any property damage.
    One small tip- skip buying the water bottles and buy reusable five gallon jugs that you can fill from your tap and then empty out if not needed.
    My parents have a generator, but have never bothered to have it hooked up properly.