So is it 1200 NET calories, or just 1200 calories?

Options
This has probably been covered, and I probably read it, but since I tend to lose interest in anything longer than a post on Twitter unless it's in audiobook form, I just need verification on way or the other. When people talk about eating at least 1200 calories a day, is that 1200 Net calories that I need to be up after exercise, or is it just 1200 calories that I need to eat? A lot of days after I'm done burning, I have eaten 1300-1500 calories for the day, but because I've exercised, I still end up in the negative on Net calories, or just a bit above.

I'm north of 350lbs, so I want to lose as much as I can safely, but I also don't want to fudge up my dietary system so that I'm not losing as quickly as I could be if I was eating more to cover the calories I burned working out or cleaning or...whatever I'm doing.

Thanks for any input.

Replies

• rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    As you will read many times, you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories. So, if your MFP plan allows you 1200 calories and you exercise 500 calories, you should eat 1700. 1200 calories is not very much - you definitely burn more than that just getting out of bed and living your day, so that 1200 has weight loss already built in. If you are over 300 pounds, I find it hard to believe that 1200 is your recommended calorie allotment. Good luck with your journey!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    It is net.

And if you are a male over 350 pounds, net 1,200 probably isn't enough. How many does mfp suggest you eat?
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat at least 1200 calories per day.

BUT

Since you are a male, you should actually be eating north of 1700 net calories per day in the hopes of keeping your muscle, prevent problems, etc. Also, do strength training to help keep and build your muscle. If you don't do this now, you'll be kicking yourself later (believe me).

I was 280 at one time. I lost 2 lbs a week for 7 months just doing two spin classes a week and eating 3000+ calories per day (not sure how much was muscle though :grumble:). I am now working on building the strength back that I lost.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    6'4" eating 1200? I would call that breakfast...

Seriously. Some calculation must be off somewhere. I'm a little shrimp compared to you and eat literally 2x as much....
  • kristen_lynn
    kristen_lynn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    EAT your exercise calories!! You have to hit the sweet spot by having a reasonable calorie deficit. MFP does the calculation for you and gives you the number you should be NETTING every day. If you're too under, your body will not trust that it's gonna get adequate nutrition and it will hold on to every last pound you have out of desperation. That's why starvation doesn't work! Our bodies have defenses against it. Also --- Make sure your profile stats are accurate too, if you're 350 lbs your body burns considerably more than 1200 calories by just being alive. Tell MFP the truth, about your activity level, height, weight, exercising, etc -- otherwise, the only person you're cheating is yourself!
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It is net.

And if you are a male over 350 pounds, net 1,200 probably isn't enough. How many does mfp suggest you eat?

It's telling me 2600/day, which seems crazy to me, I wasn't eating that much before. I can hit 2000 pretty easily I guess, but once I work out that adds another 1000-1500 some days. I can't afford to eat that much! :)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Its Net but for Men it's 1500!

You will find some eat back those exercise calories and some do not. But it is really encouraged when you are down at the Min calories.

What you don't want to happen is for your body to try and survive on say 700-800 calories a day because you eat 1500 and exercise and burn another 700-800 calories.

This is not good for your body, you burn muscle and instead of build muscle.

Just kind of adjust as necessary or best of all check with your doctor.

You Can Do It!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I can't afford to eat that much! :)

Keep an eye out for sales at your local grocery store. Buy in bulk. Consider a Costco membership. Cook at home instead of eating out. It doesn't have to be that expensive...
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If it gives you 2600 and you are eating less than that just log in what you are eating, then reduce slowly til you get to 1500.

Don't try to drop all at once, your body will hold on to everything, you have to ease into it!!!

It will happen!
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1350 on here.... If I eat below 1200 whether I have worked out or not MFP will scold me for not eating enough. If I eat 1200 calories and then workout and say burn 500 calories MFP doesn't scold me. So I take that to mean I need to eat at least 1200 calories.

I personally do not believe in eating back your workout calories. Just seems counter productive to me.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I eat around 2000-2500 calories per day and I pretty much average ~$1 a meal or less. I'm talking whole foods as well (eggs, veggies, meats, etc), no prepackaged stuff and have around 6 meals a day.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    WHOA! You should totally be eating more than that. I just checked out your diary and you eat only a little more than me and I am 1/3 your size. I know that eating bulky foods can be hard to get down. Try upping your calories with healthy fats, like avocado, almonds and olive oil. They are super high in calories and are NOT filling. 1 tablespoon of olive oil is already 110 calories.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    Since you're a man, you probably should be eating more than 1200 calories a day anyways BUT we won't get into that right now.

You should be eating 1200 AT LEAST, and eating a net of 1200 isn't going to hurt you.

I guess it's up to you, but you should be eating more than that.
  • Genem30
    Options
    WHOA! You should totally be eating more than that. I just checked out your diary and you eat only a little more than me and I am 1/3 your size. I know that eating bulky foods can be hard to get down. Try upping your calories with healthy fats, like avocado, almonds and olive oil. They are super high in calories and are NOT filling. 1 tablespoon of olive oil is already 110 calories.

Thanks, I'll have to remember the olive oil thing.

Thanks for the all advice, I guess I'll start eating more and then maybe try to dial it back a little at a time over the next 6 months or so.
  • Genem30
    Options
    I can't afford to eat that much! :)

Keep an eye out for sales at your local grocery store. Buy in bulk. Consider a Costco membership. Cook at home instead of eating out. It doesn't have to be that expensive...

Yeah, we have a Costco membership. Guess I'll have to start going myself instead of just letting the wife decide what we're going to eat, lol.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I eat close to 2000 a day at 5'2" 108 lbs.

Surely 1200 is starving yourself for a man your size. Which will result in a whole host of problems, the least of which will be stalled weight loss.
  • Lonnellrose
    Options
    I was 355 and my doc asked me to do 1200 calorie a day diet. Only 3 meals per day, not over 400 each, and no snacking at all. I've lost 11 lbs in 2 weeks so far. This week tho no weight loss, so maybe it was water I lost. So yes, we big people don't always eat huge amounts of food. Everyone is different. I gain weight with 2000 calories. Anyway... I don't know what NET calories are. I just go off what the nutrition facts say the calories are per serving.
    The app tells me to consume like 4500 calories or something crazy like that, and deduct excersize. Ya right, I'd be gaining weight like mad. Oh hey, that must be what NET means. Lol
  • freedomwriter88
    freedomwriter88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    So, if I have a net of 60, that is bad?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Really?....Yes, that would not be using MFP as intended. You're supposed to net your goal.
    It's telling me 2600/day, which seems crazy to me, I wasn't eating that much before. I can hit 2000 pretty easily I guess, but once I work out that adds another 1000-1500 some days. I can't afford to eat that much! :)

What do you mean by 2600 being crazy and that you weren't eating that much before?
  • freedomwriter88
    freedomwriter88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Really?....Yes, that would not be using MFP as intended. You're supposed to net your goal.

What do you mean by 2600 being crazy and that you weren't eating that much before?

Let me verify: I need to net 1200, after exercise.

Also, no need to be snarky. I am new here, and I am learning. :)