When they say 8 cups of water....

nas24
nas24 Posts: 880 Member
Do they truly mean 8 "CUPS"? As in the measuring cup?

Replies

• hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    YES!
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Absolutely!
  • nas24
    Ok, because ive been drinking out of a cup that is actually 2 cups measured out and logging it as 1 cup. LOL
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    that's an interesting question because "measuring cups" come in all sorts of sizes.

1 cup = 8 ounces.

I recommend drinking at least 12 cups of water a day.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Ok, because ive been drinking out of a cup that is actually 2 cups measured out and logging it as 1 cup. LOL

me too! haha
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    I aim for 1/2 my body weight in ounces as a MINIMUM. Example: I weigh around 190 pounds... I aim to drink 95 ounces of water every day. Then I add some for sweating :drinker:
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    It's whatever size cup you want.
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    A cup is half a US pint apparently. But less than half a UK pint :ohwell:
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    I consider 8 cups as 8x8oz. I try to drink at least 48-64oz, which is 5-8 "cups" of water per day.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    It is meant 8 - 8oz Cups (a Cup here meaning Fluid Ounces.) Actually 64 oz
    It is best said 8-8 fl. oz. because measures are different for fluid and dry.
  • I read that you should drink 50% of your weight...meaning...for me at 260 pounds, I should drink a minimum of 130 ounces of water. I don't do that usually but I do drink about a gallon of water daily, give or take a cup here or there. On hot days, or hard workouts, I make sure to drink a bit more.

Linked below is a water intake calculator to help you find what YOU need.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
  • nas24
    I ask this because ive been struggling to get those "8cups" which was really 16 cups and i was getting really bad headaches. Maybe i was over hydrating?
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    I aim for 1/2 my body weight in ounces as a MINIMUM. Example: I weigh around 190 pounds... I aim to drink 95 ounces of water every day. Then I add some for sweating :drinker:

Me too
  • tbelivea
    tbelivea Posts: 94 Member
    I ask this because ive been struggling to get those "8cups" which was really 16 cups and i was getting really bad headaches. Maybe i was over hydrating?

That's definitely possible, I find if I drink more than 12 my head starts to feel funny :P
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member

Depends on how spread out the water consumption was. 16 cups spread out over the course of a normal day shouldn't cause that. On cardio days I often hit 21 or more cups of water easily and it has no ill effects.

But if slam back a ton of water in a really short period of time, like when I'd drink about six cups just on my lunch hour alone, then I'd get dizzy, light-headed and often have a headache at that time.

So just make sure you're spacing out the drinking evenly though the day and you should be fine. If you're already doing that and still getting the headaches, my guess would be that they aren't water related.