Question about down time during game play..

Options
Sooo I play ultimate frisbee, and it's the only sport I've ever played (aka I'm no good at sports, AND uncoordinated as all get out!). I just bought myself a Heart Rate Monitor today, a Suunto M2, and I'm excited about using it to track how many calories burn playing Ultimate!

BUT! My question is! How does it work during the down time? We play 5 on 5, and there are 4 girls so we rotate 2 girls per point. So basically I play for 1 or 2 points, and then I'm off for one or two points. The points can be long or short, but either way I'm still usually pretty winded when I sit down, and tend to still be tired when I get back up. So that time that I'm sitting there.. should I still count all those calories my HRM thinks I'm burning because my Heart Rate is still so high? Am I actually burning calories BECAUSE my heart rate is higher, even if I'm just sitting? It's something I'm really curious about because I want to be accurate since I eat back my exercise calories and I don't want to account for calories I didn't technically burn.

Can anyone help a girl out? Thanks!

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    On mine, you can pause it and it doesn't continue counting, which would be the easy solution.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    very curious about the answers! bump
  • mhig011975
    mhig011975 Posts: 181
    Options
    record everthing, do some static and ballistic streching when you waiting to get back in the game.
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    There's a pause button on mine too, which you probably have on yours. But, I would guess that you're still burning calories even though your not right IN the game. Your heart rate is still high, and that's the main fire, right? I'm guessing though.. I could be right off my rocker for all I know!!
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I love ultimate frisbee!! I workout a lot and nothing gets me quite as tired and sore. I would just let the heart rate monitor run the whole time and record it all. I don't know about you but my heart rate stays elevated for a bit after the play stops so I wouldn't worry about it. It's like interval training : )