She can't keep up with me =(

Options
2»

Replies

• MLEme
    MLEme Posts: 45
    Options
    I have a 9.5 yr old American Bulldog...She doesn't walk with me, b/c she only lasts about 1/2 mile. Then I have a 4 yr old boxer boy...hes crazy and could walk for hours!(want to borrow him?)...We just got a 6 week old white/tan pitty boy...can't wait to walk him and he can keep up!!

I would just either start our slower, so she has more energy at the end, or take her for a short walk with more endurance(hills, etc).

Good luck to ya! :)

same here... my american bulldogs lasts about 1/2 mile (if that) and my boxer / pit could run a marathon!

Unless it is too hot - the vet suggested I either take them out really early in the AM or not at all... they can get de-hydrated / heat-stroke really easily...

great job on the walking!!!
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    There are several possibilities, that vary.

1. You could be running longer than she can run.
    2. How hot is it when you run? The hotter it is, the hotter a dog gets without water, since they don't sweat. She might be over-heating.
    3. What surface material are you running on? Depending on what it is/how hot it is, the pads on her paws may be hurting. (This is especially true if you're running on sidewalks or asphalt - neither is nice to a dog's paws!)

Well, i'm not running, i'm walking, about 4 miles an hour (or so my iphone tells me) and we live in Key West and i ONLY walk her in early morning (if i actually get up) or evening bc even i can't stand the heat!! We walk on the sidewalk along the road or on the grass along the road. And at the moment, no longer then 40 min walks. I'm still workin up to goin faster and longer, lol. She's not a lazy dog by any means. We used to play hard core fetch with a chuck it and she could go for EVER doing that and hubby used to run her back in Cali on the trails he'd go on. Here my hubby will take her on runs with him in the evenings if i haven't taken her on a walk and he even says she's poopin out on him. I would prefer to stick to the same area because she's not exactly dog friendly....... not aggressive, just doesn't care 4 other dogs, and where i walk her there's little chance of coming across another dog. I don't want to overwork my dog, but we both need our excersise.

Sounds like it might be time to talk to your vet then. She shouldn't be slowing down like that at her age and if your hubby has also noticed a difference then there's definately something up.