College Students??

Options
Any college students out there?
I find it hard to do keep count of calories and always wanting to eat snacks during classes or in between classes.
How do you guys stay motivated when school starts?

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    whaaaaat up :D ! from Wisconsin!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    bump, I need the help too. D:
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with snacking during or between classes in and of itself. It's the *what* you're snacking on that could be the problem. I'll usually take fruits, veggies, or trail mix and a prepared lunch to eat if I'm going to be on campus for a while. Works just fine as long as you plan ahead so you're not tempted by the vending machines.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Oy, I feel you, especially since EVERYONE else brings food! I take night classes, so I do sometimes get legit hungry. I try packing granola bars or baby carrots. They're not high in calories and they'll keep you full.
  • lionsaults
    Options
    whaaaaat up :D ! from Wisconsin!

Heyyy, sup(: I'm from California, lol.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Classes start for me next Thursday, I am a bit nervous because I have a really long break on some days and there is a taco bell on campus. My plan has been to put food in a thermos. I might even resort to a luch box with a cooler for yogurt and stuff.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I work full time, but I requested this semester to only do 32 hrs a week instead of 40. I really need a day to myself.

I go to school all day on Tues and Thurs, taking 12 credits at a local community campus. They have a great cafe there, but no nutrition info. So I don't eat there (it is expensive, anyhow).

I suggest packing your lunch. And if needed, your breakfast and snacks too.

I bring with me a water bottle that I can refill, as well as a few baggies of almonds or other easy snack foods, and one or two tupperware dishes full of homemade goodness.

I'm sorry I don't really have any specific advice if you are attending while living in a dorm. I am hoping you have groceries and a kitchen to use then you can just follow this :)

It is a BIG challenge to continue exercising while in school for me. I literally have to schedule it into the day. In fact, I should have been doing my studying right now instead of browsing the web....

It is very possible to continue staying healthy/losing weight/getting fit while attending school and STILL get great grades. Keep at it :)

PS: motivation is not wanting to see the scale say you gained back all 30 lbs you lose over summer just because you snacked your way through the semester. certainly not what I want to see! :noway:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    and the keeping track? I just use the campus computers to log my food on MFP between classes.

You can also download the app for this website and use it on your smartphone (if you have one... which I don't. :P )
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with snacking during or between classes in and of itself. It's the *what* you're snacking on that could be the problem. I'll usually take fruits, veggies, or trail mix and a prepared lunch to eat if I'm going to be on campus for a while. Works just fine as long as you plan ahead so you're not tempted by the vending machines.
    This.
    If you have to go through a meal time at school, bring it with you. I used to take leftovers and leave them in the dash of my car to reheat in the scorching FL sun for a couple of hours. If your campus has a microwave somewhere, clearly this would make your life easier. Just don't let convenience make you slack on your health goals.
  • lionsaults
    Options
    Thank you, everyone for the advice. This is going to help me get through the days I have school. (:
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Final semester here! I've had the problem of being on campus making me want to go and eat. Now I just use my time between classes at the rec center to work out. Then I'll go grab something healthy for lunch and study a bit and by then it's time for my next class.
  • kiwikara
    kiwikara Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I bring lots of healthy snacks and BIG bottle of water!! If your phone can get the MFP app, then do it! It's awesome
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Any college students out there?
    I find it hard to do keep count of calories and always wanting to eat snacks during classes or in between classes.
    How do you guys stay motivated when school starts?

I wrote a post about this a while ago, now i can't find it. First thing is always have premade meals, you can do this on the weekends. Always have a huge salad in the fridge. I didn't follow my own advice the first day of school, I was starving, and I only had like 1hr to get back to class and buy a book. Luckily we have a safeway close to the school. I ran in got a package of romaine lettuce, and some peanuts and ate those. Made me think to buy a little lunch pouch and have some tupperwear in there with cucumbers and possibly some nuts, and maybe even a small salad. This may not be your style of health, but I am sure you get the idea.
  • before20
    before20 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hey! I'm a college student in NJ and I move back Monday (after the monster hurricane of course:grumble: ) and I feel the same way. This summer it was so easy to eat right and exercise but when your friends want to go out and you're debating whether or not having a drink will fit into your daily calorie allotment, its a whole other story lol:wink: . Usually though I just plan what I'll eat beforehand for meals on campus so I won't be tempted. Know your campus dining halls and what healthy options they offer. Also I tend to take apples from the dining hall and keep them in my dorm so that If I don't have time to eat or I get hungry in class I'll just grab one of those. Another option is to keep 100-calorie packs of almonds in your bag. I find that that is the perfect snack after the gym or during a late class to keep my energy up. Good luck, and just make sure you don't have to look too far for a snack that won't wreck your diet.
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am a full time evening student, I work just about full time as a substitute teacher, I keep track of 2 teenage sons, a hubby, 2 naughty dogs and a gerbil.... I HAVE to eat during class but eating healthily while in class is important to me. I bring several water bottles of REALLY cold water to drink, a baggy of blueberries, strawberries and almonds... Occasionally I get to go home before class so I heat healthy leftovers and bring them to class... everyone is always sniffing and asking for bites!!! :wink:

Good Luck!!!

With Friendship and Warmth from Missouri!

GO PANTHERS!!!! (DRURY UNIVERSITY)

:flowerforyou: ~ Sonia
  • runbikebreathe
    Options
    I'm a university student, and I know how you feel. I'm lucky enough to live at home which makes healthy eating a breeze. I pack a huge and healthy lunch - usually a salad, a healthy sandwich, some Greek yogurt, and maybe a portion of cheese. The one thing I always make sure to pack is a lot of is fruit and vegetables! Grapes, baby carrots, sugar snap peas, and berries are really easy to snack on and are low in calories. I also like portion out nuts, such as almonds or walnuts, to snack on as well. If your school has a gym, take advantage of it! My university only charges its students $20 a semester for a membership and it's easy to go on your breaks or before and after class. Good luck :)
  • merryfaith
    merryfaith Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this semester is crazy for me. I live at home, which would make healthy eating easy if my family was actually into healthy eating, but it typically isn't a problem. There are a few campuses for my community college and I wasn't able to get classes all at one, so I'm driving 45 min for two morning classes, swinging back by my house for lunch for 45 min, then going to my science class at the campus 10 min away. and the days I'm not in class, I work nights (and sometimes days I do have class!). I pack sandwiches for my meals at work and typically make them for lunch at home, but I'm kind of getting sick of them. Do you guys have any recommendations for fast, healthy meals?

Also, I'm not staying on a campus, but The Dorm Room Diet is a great book!
  • merryfaith
    merryfaith Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My university only charges its students $20 a semester for a membership and it's easy to go on your breaks or before and after class. Good luck :)

My community college has one at the campus I go to in the mornings! It opens at 7:30, and I have class at 8:35, so I could probably get a 30-45 min workout in... if I could get myself awake enough to leave my house by 6:45....
  • Jhookism
    Jhookism Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm from AZ. I use the MFP phone app to track everything while at school and when I feel like not working out i just remember what i felt like every morning before i started working out and counting calories (which was lethargic)
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    I have a theory about all my food.

If I stop thinking, and just start DOING, nothing bad ever happens.

If I have a serving of pasta at dinner, and my mind says "give me more...", instead of listening, I blindly walk from the table as if I can't even control myself and throw my plate away.

If you walk by a vending machine in school- don't stop. Keep walking forward as if your feet have a mind of their own.

Really it works wonders.