Replies

• ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    neither exclusively :smile:
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I LOVE running outside. It is my time to think and be by myself. Also, if you decide to do any 5K's or other races, you really need to get some of your running in outside - it is a lot different than running on a treadmill. Anyhoo, my vote it outside!! LOVE IT!

Me too!! I love being outside doing anything... and my favorite is running!!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I hate the dreadmill!

I've run over 16,000 miles in the last 9 years, exactly 8 miles of those were on the dreadmill (and only because my physical therapist made me do it as rehab).

My $02, something is better than nothing, but I actually feel bad for all the people at the gym who haven't discovered the joys of running outside.
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    Running outside, preferably at the beach. Love having that ocean breeze.

I get bored on the dreadmill. Plus, for some reason, even though it is supposed to be better on your joints, it aggravates my hip.

One must, however, for running, regardless of venue, is my ipod!
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My $02, something is better than nothing, but I actually feel bad for all the people at the gym who haven't discovered the joys of running outside.

I am becoming a convert! I originally started my running program on the treadmill, that way I could "control" everything: the speed, the distance, etc. When it came to running outside, I couldn't control my pace, I'd start out too fast and die off quick, etc. However, I never really 'enjoyed' running, and ended up giving it up. BUT, just very recently, I started running again - at first a few weeks on the treadmill, but then I went outside one day for what I thought was going to be a 'walk', and ended up attempting a run (ok, well, a slow jog). I am finally "seeing the light" - and am really starting to enjoy my runs now. I'm already starting to dread winter when the cold weather will surely keep me inside!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Whichever you will stick with is better for you.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i do both. generally i can run longer and faster on a treadmill than i can outside.

ill do the treadmill as part of my gym routine.

i try to go outside atleast once per week to check my times etc.
  • eudemonia
    eudemonia Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i don't have a treadmill, but even if i did, i would still prefer running outside. it makes me feel better when i can see how much distance i've run, and the air and scenery does a load of good :)
  • shieder
    shieder Posts: 2
    Options
    LOL!!
  • poisongirl1
    poisongirl1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm too cheap for a gym membership or treadmill so I've gotta run outside. My old apartment building had a free gym and I used to use the treadmill there sometimes, and in comparison I think I prefer outside. There's more things to look at, I can run into (not literally haha) people I know, and I'm sure I'm getting more of a work out from all the hills I need to go up and down. Plus, the whole "can't cop out half way through because I need to get home".
  • turnerjh
    turnerjh Posts: 17
    Options
    I run almost exclusively outside. At my school, there is an indoor track and treadmills at the gym but the only time I use them is if the sidewalks are covered in snow and ice. I get so bored running inside. I agree that running on the treadmill is probably kinder to your joints but I just cannot tolerate the monotony. I find it painfully dull to run on the treadmill for 30 minutes while I can run 4x that outside.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I like both actually. They feel totally different. I train for my race outside, obviously. And I do my distance runs outside. But I love doing interval training on the treadmill with a app that tells me exactly how fast to run and the inclines. I hate trying to do the "run at percieved 5". I don't know! I just run. lol I need an exact speed for those. Running on the treadmill feels easier because I don't have to push myself along, so I can also run faster than when I'm outside.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    I do the treadmill ~ I much prefer to be in the gym where I can keep up with my time and speed and incline without worrying about getting run over by a car :p plus I like the machines at the gym as well :)
  • alliooops
    alliooops Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill because it's not so hard on my joints and I can team it with some strength training. I also like to perhaps do a toning class and then a quick 10 mins even on the treadmill to burn up some calories. I have been told to have the incline on 2.0 so that it replicates road running more. I find it helpful to be able to see what speed I am doing and how long I have run for so that I can compete with myself next time. There's hardly any pavement round by me either so it's quite unnerving running down narrow lanes with cars trying to get past you. I envy those of you who love a good outside run - I have just never been able to get into it.
  • MzTaurus
    Options
    I don't think there is a difference in benefit but I am an outdoor vote! Something happens when I am outside, in the fresh air, looking all around me-makes me feel humble and grateful that I have the strength to walk, two good legs to do it with, and the time to devote to myself.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    For me, whether I walk or run outside or inside just depends on the weather. It can get pretty hot and humid where I am and I am very anti-running in 100+ degree weather, so that would be a treadmill day. If it is nice outside and the humidity isn't death-causing, then outside it is. I enjoy both equally.
  • pacmanjack
    pacmanjack Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Both are great...whichever works for you.

That being said, on a treadmill, you should set your incline to at least 1.0 to give you a flat road-like experience. (Treadmill beds tend to slope slightly downward...or so I'm told).

^ this

I've been treadmill running at a 1.0 incline ever since I started... Now doing between 45 minutes and an hour at 6.0 mph. That 1.0 incline actually make the run more comfortable. Running at 0.0 feels like you have to over-extend your leg each time you land.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Running outside on pavement destroys my knees. The treadmill is easier. So, I like the treadmill better. HOWEVER, when I do cardio, I much prefer the elliptical since it's low-impact on my joints.

(I feel pretty old saying that. I'm only 24 but a lifetime of sports has killed my body parts.)
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    You also have to pay attention to what surface it is you are running on outside. Asphalt is much softer than concrete! Many people try running outside and do so on a sidewalk, which inevitably leads to the conclusion that running outside is bad, hard, harmful to joints, etc. Sidewalks are notorious for being jagged, cracked, uneven, and of course made out of concrete, so of course running on them will probably not be a pleasant first experience. On the other hand, running on the side of a road which is often sloped quite a bit can hurt your lower back, glutes, or ankles as they try to compensate for the slope. When starting to run outside, find terrain that is even and easy to run on until you get used to the natural variations in terrain.
  • bear2905
    Options
    I used to run outside but due to degenerative vision loss I now have to run on the treadmill for safety reasons. Running outside was always definitely more challenging because of wind resistance, terrain, and not having the machine propel you along. However, I find that I sweat ALOT on the treadmill and I am breathing pretty hard as I push myself. I think a mix of both is ideal if you can.