Breastfeeding and trying to lose weight

Options
Is anyone else out there breastfeeding and trying to lose weight?

Replies

• Hollie55
    Hollie55 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yup I am.
    my yougest is currently 7 months old.
  • tribalwolf4
    Options
    It's probably better to try to lose weight after you ween your baby.
  • sunshine0610
    Options
    So what are you doing and eating to lose weight. My youngest is 12 months and I still have 15 lbs to go...it just wont come off.
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yeah the weight never dropped off me while breastfeeding...it wasn''t til after I stopped that it came off. My friend said the same thing, too. Good luck to you!
  • shellington32
    Options
    Everyone's bodies are different. I always envied those gals who gave birth and a handful of months later they were in their skinny jeans and claimed it was because of the breastfeeding. Not me - I've got 3 kiddos (5 yrs; 3 yrs and 8 mos). With all 3 I gained 40 lbs, the first 20 came off quickly in the first 3 months post delivery (c-sections so working out was almost impossible) the next 10 I struggled with and the last 10 NEVER came off until I was done breastfeeding. It was like my body needed the extra weight to keep the milk flowing. I just finished breast feeding my #3 about 6 weeks ago because I was wanting to get these last 15 lbs off which is what I'm working on right now. Keep up the good work and good luck to all you moms!
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    I'm not currently --- but I did, twice :) It comes off, momma, be patient. Eat to appetite, just make good choices when you do eat, and drink a TON. The weight will come off slowly and surely. When you start feeling good again, 6-8 wks pp then you could start back to your exercise regime a few times a week and work back up your strength and fitness.

I noticed when I would try cutting back too much food, or working out too hard, my boobs would be on E for the afternoon feeding and he'd be hungry again before bedtime. Snap! Take care of yourself and your wee one, don't try for too much too soon! This time is precious and goes sooooo quick!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • RachelH25
    RachelH25 Posts: 108
    Options
    My son is 14 months today. I breastfed him till he was 7 months. Everyone told me that breastfeeding helps you lose weight but all mine didn't come off till he was weaned and I could cut back on my cals. Good luck!
  • Jrlorenc84
    Jrlorenc84 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im still breastfeeding. At first I dropped to eating 1200 calories a day but found my supply going down so I am currently doing 1500 calories and drinking plenty of water.
  • eksb
    eksb Posts: 93
    Options
    My youngest is 4 months. I didn't lose anything after my first was born and I nursed him for 2 years. I got pregnant with my 2nd while he was still nursing. Now, I'm under the weight I was when I got pregnant with my 1st. This time the weight came off pretty quickly. I always make sure to add an extra 300 calories to my day to account for breastfeeding nutrition but I don't go crazy with food (which is what I think I did the first time around, I was always starving!). All I've been doing really is going for walks with the two of them in the stroller (50lbs of baby!) and watching my calories, generally staying around 1800/day. From what I've heard, your body needs to hold on to about 10 extra pounds while you're breastfeeding.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Everyone's bodies are different. I always envied those gals who gave birth and a handful of months later they were in their skinny jeans and claimed it was because of the breastfeeding. Not me - I've got 3 kiddos (5 yrs; 3 yrs and 8 mos). With all 3 I gained 40 lbs, the first 20 came off quickly in the first 3 months post delivery (c-sections so working out was almost impossible) the next 10 I struggled with and the last 10 NEVER came off until I was done breastfeeding. It was like my body needed the extra weight to keep the milk flowing. I just finished breast feeding my #3 about 6 weeks ago because I was wanting to get these last 15 lbs off which is what I'm working on right now. Keep up the good work and good luck to all you moms!

Nodding in agreement. When you already have kids, your body gets tired quicker from chasing after them and needs the energy for milk making (up to 500 extra calories a day). I only have 2 but noticed this..... I put on more weight with my 2nd and it was harder to take it off. (a year the 2nd time around, instead of 6 months, in my case)
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am! Actually, I've been breastfeeding for almost 20 months.

I lost 20lbs pretty much right away after giving birth...fluid loss and such. By the time she was 12 months old, I had only lost an additional 10lbs. For me, breastfeeding and weight loss did not go hand-in-hand. Of course, I took breastfeeding very seriously, and it was my personal choice to do everything possible to give her only breast milk for the first 6 months, and then slowly introduce solids, but continue giving mostly breast milk until at least 12 months, and then to continue breastfeeding as long as possible after that (based on recommendations from WHO, AAP, etc). Since I work full time, I had to pump for her. I found that, in order to keep up my supply to pump enough to meet her needs, I had to keep my calorie intake and water intake pretty high. Therefore, weight loss took a back seat until after she was 12 months old and eating much more solid food. At that point, since I was not pumping, I did not need to keep my calorie intake so high. I have lost about another 20 lbs since then. We are still breastfeeding 2-3 times a day now, and having a calorie deficit does not seem to affect my supply, and I'm losing weight finally. I'm nearly back down to pre-preggo weight & clothing sizes, but I still have some to go to get to my goal.

Sometimes when I hear women say that breastfeeding helped them lose weight quickly, I think that they were eating a normal amount of calories (or a calorie deficit) during that time, rather than the recommended extra 300 - 500 calories per day. While this might help you lose weight faster for some period of time, it is not recommended, or really sustainable. I think that your milk supply would take a serious hit at some point if you do not eat properly to maintain it (which is also probably one of the reasons that I also hear so many women say that their milk supply mysteriously "dried up" and they could not continue.)

Long story short, it sort of depends on what is more important to you, how long you want to breast feed, etc. For me, keeping up my milk supply won over losing weight, until she was old enough to be getting nutrition from solids (12+ months). It also sort of depends on if you are able to nurse on demand vs. having to pump on a schedule...pumping is not as efficient at removing milk, so most women who successfully pump for several months usually have to work at it to keep the supply up over time, which might slow down weight loss).

Oh, and if anyone is interested, www.kellymom.com is a very helpful site with lots of breastfeeding info. Tips on weight loss while breastfeeding (from the kellymom site): http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html#tips
    Also check out www.llli.org (La Leche League).
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I had five kids and breastfed all of them till about six months. My last one was more like 11 weeks because HE gave it up. Little stinker he was!! Anyway..... I lost all my weight each time in five or six months. Breastfeeding really chews up calories like crazy. Just be careful you don't overdo the dieting/exercising so that your milk production drops and you'll be fine. Good luck and enjoy this wonderful time with the new baby!!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 'one of those women' who is losing weight while breastfeeding. I've lost almost 40lbs and am still breastfeeding my 9 month old son. I took in the extra calories (500/day at first then 300/day) as advised by my dr. but I eat good foods and drink LOTS of water. My supply is still excellent and I've never had any issues with him not being satisfied.
  • CandiRain23
    Options
    Oh yeah! My son is almost 8 months old. And I'm hungry ALL THE TIME!
  • caripta85
    caripta85 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ok so I add 500 cal everyday because i'm still exclusively nursing (other than tasting something here or there a few times a week, ds is 7 months old) Sometimes i feel like im eating too much, should i try for 300? i have never had problem with low supply, actually the opposite! I have so much milk i have donated over 300 oz to others in need! So a slight dip in supply isn't a huge concern of mine!
  • caripta85
    caripta85 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am! Actually, I've been breastfeeding for almost 20 months.

I lost 20lbs pretty much right away after giving birth...fluid loss and such. By the time she was 12 months old, I had only lost an additional 10lbs. For me, breastfeeding and weight loss did not go hand-in-hand. Of course, I took breastfeeding very seriously, and it was my personal choice to do everything possible to give her only breast milk for the first 6 months, and then slowly introduce solids, but continue giving mostly breast milk until at least 12 months, and then to continue breastfeeding as long as possible after that (based on recommendations from WHO, AAP, etc). Since I work full time, I had to pump for her. I found that, in order to keep up my supply to pump enough to meet her needs, I had to keep my calorie intake and water intake pretty high. Therefore, weight loss took a back seat until after she was 12 months old and eating much more solid food. At that point, since I was not pumping, I did not need to keep my calorie intake so high. I have lost about another 20 lbs since then. We are still breastfeeding 2-3 times a day now, and having a calorie deficit does not seem to affect my supply, and I'm losing weight finally. I'm nearly back down to pre-preggo weight & clothing sizes, but I still have some to go to get to my goal.

Sometimes when I hear women say that breastfeeding helped them lose weight quickly, I think that they were eating a normal amount of calories (or a calorie deficit) during that time, rather than the recommended extra 300 - 500 calories per day. While this might help you lose weight faster for some period of time, it is not recommended, or really sustainable. I think that your milk supply would take a serious hit at some point if you do not eat properly to maintain it (which is also probably one of the reasons that I also hear so many women say that their milk supply mysteriously "dried up" and they could not continue.)

Long story short, it sort of depends on what is more important to you, how long you want to breast feed, etc. For me, keeping up my milk supply won over losing weight, until she was old enough to be getting nutrition from solids (12+ months). It also sort of depends on if you are able to nurse on demand vs. having to pump on a schedule...pumping is not as efficient at removing milk, so most women who successfully pump for several months usually have to work at it to keep the supply up over time, which might slow down weight loss).

Oh, and if anyone is interested, www.kellymom.com is a very helpful site with lots of breastfeeding info. Tips on weight loss while breastfeeding (from the kellymom site): http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html#tips
    Also check out www.llli.org (La Leche League).

could not have said it any better!!! :)
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ok so I add 500 cal everyday because i'm still exclusively nursing (other than tasting something here or there a few times a week, ds is 7 months old) Sometimes i feel like im eating too much, should i try for 300? i have never had problem with low supply, actually the opposite! I have so much milk i have donated over 300 oz to others in need! So a slight dip in supply isn't a huge concern of mine!
    You could always try and see what happens. :) I had an oversupply in the beginning, too. It was not until around 7 months or so that I had to start working at it to keep it up. Before then, I had a stash of extra milk in the freezer, but by 9 or 10 months, it was gone. But again, you could try it and see how it goes. And way to go for donating to help others!
  • MyLittleSonshine
    MyLittleSonshine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hi! I'm nursing an 18 mo old...if you search the foods list they do have the negative calories to add for nursing moms just search "nursing" or "breastfeeding" and add to your diary ...there is one for exclusive BF'ing and then others...I do the -300 one since my 18 mo old is not exclusively bf'ing anymore....I just started last month and i'm down 8lbs already! I havent had any supply issues but I think that as long as you're eating quality food and drinking lots! you could also try fenugreek or lactation cookies if you start having issues...
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have a good friends who became sooo super skinny while she was breastfeeding.

However, most women the opposite. I breastfeed my son exclusively for 7 months, and weaned completely only a 23 months.
    When I weaned, I was the same weight as I was at 1 week after the birth. :(

On the other hand I dropped 20+lb in the last 9 months since I stopped.
  • pykb
    pykb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight while breastfeeding my 5-month old baby. But it has taken a lot of exercise and strict calorie counting. My daily allowance is 1700 (of which 500 for exclusively breastfeeding).