Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Steve!!
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    i agree. I lift 6 days a week and don't look anything even close to like a man! :)
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    lol... I totally get it but my trainer is a body builder so it all about form when it comes to him! This is a pic of him from his first show 2 yrs ago when he first started out but he is much more defined all over, his thighs are huge now, and he is training for his next show in March or April.

Parks-1.jpg
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Haha, no disrespect intended, but bodybuilders are not the be all end all of exercise form and definitely not of exercise science. When you're "on the goods" you can pretty much get away with anything. But if you're happy with him and you feel that he knows his stuff, which he very well might, that's all that matters.

I only brought up your form because of the low depth I was seeing. Just looking out for you best interest.

Best to you.
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Steve! You really are great to hand out all this advice! Checked out the video and was intrigued!
    I played basketball in hs and college....I use to do some "crazy machine" (can't recall the name) but it was basically doing lunges.I've always wondered if poor form caused my injuries. I am now plagued with 5 knee surgeries. I'm doing Ripped in 30, and on my 2nd week of C25k (sllloooowwww pace). I use 5 lbs and 8 lbs in ripped...but I feel like maybe I need to incorporate a strength training in there somwhere (2 to 3xs a week)?

Does all of the above sound too much?

I have read your "greatest page ever written" several times. I am still learning about the nutrition thing. It's fantastic....
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later! :) Good stuff!
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    No disrespect taken but we all have our own opinions of who knows their stuff and who doesn't just like you think that you know your stuff! lol.... One can't put all bodybuilders in a general category. My trainer is not just a bodybuilder alone; he also is a professional in the performance and fitness industry as has the credentials for it; but again I understand your logic=) This tread is going old to me so i'll say my goodbye's to you all:yawn: lol... You are doing well with helping people so I wish you to continue to sky rocket!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    No disrespect taken but we all have our own opinions of who knows their stuff and who doesn't just like you think that you know your stuff! lol.... One can't put all bodybuilders in a general category. My trainer is not just a bodybuilder alone; he also is a professional in the performance and fitness industry as has the credentials for it; but again I understand your logic=) This tread is going old to me so i'll say my goodbye's to you all:yawn: lol... You are doing well with helping people so I wish you to continue to sky rocket!

Umm, I think you missed the point. Your pictures suggested poor form. That doesn't mean that you were using poor form as it's impossible to tell from a simple picture. I simply stated that it's something to be mindful of given that I don't know your true situation without video and the like. And your refutation was that your trainer is a bodybuilder so I shouldn't be concerned.

I was NOT the one generalizing about bodybuilders. You were.... you insinuated that all bodybuilders know perfect form when you said, and I quote:
    I totally get it but my trainer is a body builder so it all about form when it comes to him!

And it's not about opinions regarding who knows their stuff and who doesn't. There's a lot of leeway in this industry in terms of applying expertise as there are many ways to skin a cat. That said, there are also very apparent wrong ways of going about things and this is by and large what you see coming from many of the so called professionals in the field. Like I said, because of this, I was solely looking out for your best interest.

If you found one of the "good guys" in this industry... that's fantastic.

I'm not trying to get in a tit for tat here, as it'll degrade the quality of this thread.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Steve! You really are great to hand out all this advice! Checked out the video and was intrigued!
    I played basketball in hs and college....I use to do some "crazy machine" (can't recall the name) but it was basically doing lunges.I've always wondered if poor form caused my injuries. I am now plagued with 5 knee surgeries. I'm doing Ripped in 30, and on my 2nd week of C25k (sllloooowwww pace). I use 5 lbs and 8 lbs in ripped...but I feel like maybe I need to incorporate a strength training in there somwhere (2 to 3xs a week)?

Does all of the above sound too much?

It's impossible to say if it's "too much" without knowing more. I don't know much about ripped in 30... just that it's glorified circuit training. Plus, I don't know much about you... what are your goals, what are your stats, etc?
    I have read your "greatest page ever written" several times. I am still learning about the nutrition thing. It's fantastic....

Thanks very much!
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I did what I call "remedial squatting" today. I pored over Rippetoe's Starting Strength and focused on foot position and squatting with just my body but going loooow. I did three sets of five of that and then did 3 sets of five with an empty oly bar. That was it. I am easing back slowly into lifting so I don't want to overdo it after my medical leave and wind up hurting myself. I am pretty injuryphobic and want stellar form before I start loading the bar.

I really need to study power cleans. Intimidating!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I did what I call "remedial squatting" today. I pored over Rippetoe's Starting Strength and focused on foot position and squatting with just my body but going loooow. I did three sets of five of that and then did 3 sets of five with an empty oly bar. That was it. I am easing back slowly into lifting so I don't want to overdo it after my medical leave and wind up hurting myself. I am pretty injuryphobic and want stellar form before I start loading the bar.

I really need to study power cleans. Intimidating!

That's the way to go about it for sure. Worry about weight later. For the time being, groove those motor patterns as it's much easier to start correctly than to correct flawed movement patterns down the road.

I typically teach power cleans in segments. I'll make sure the individual can deadlift proficiently, romanian deadlift proficiently, and high pull proficiently. It's not The Way but it's something I've used successfully. Some people, on the other hand, have excellent body awareness and can get the total movement from the get go relatively easily.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm happy I stumbled on this thread! There is lots of good information here! I've been strength training off and on for years but have not been consistent - I currently do a full body workout 2x per week and change my routine every 4 weeks.

My current goal is to learn how to do a hang clean properly, so I won't hurt myself or get funny looks in the gym....
  • InvictusPheonix
    InvictusPheonix Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm really scared to hurt my back doing dead lifts..... (herniated some disks a couple years ago playing rugby)
    but i liked the video!
    people always give me weird looks for doing dips/pullups/"manly" lifts at the gym.... but it's my favorite! (in fact, i kind of have to force myself to integrate cardio-like things)
    annnd i'm pretty sure it still leaves me looking girl-y ;)
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'm really scared to hurt my back doing dead lifts..... (herniated some disks a couple years ago playing rugby)
    but i liked the video!
    people always give me weird looks for doing dips/pullups/"manly" lifts at the gym.... but it's my favorite! (in fact, i kind of have to force myself to integrate cardio-like things)
    annnd i'm pretty sure it still leaves me looking girl-y ;)

You could toy with more upright versions of the deadlift... think sumo deads. It'll put less torque on the spine.

Of course deadlifts aren't necessary. I love them. But there are other options.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE lifting. I feel great, my muscles are so much tigher than before. Body fat percentage is way down. Lifting rocks.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have tips for strengthening the hip flexors/rotators? I have occasional IT band issues and do a lot of stretching & rolling but I think stronger hips might help.

Thanks!
  • wanderlust3
    Options
    bump
  • creasonr
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEkpST0vSbg

I'm sharing this video to highlight that it's possible to get very strong without turning into a man. I know I say it time and time again on the forum and in email conversations. But I also know that seeing is believing and many of the women might 'hear' me but it's just not enough.

The kicker is... in my experience, in order to reach the physique that many women are shooting for... they need to be picking up heavy stuff and putting it back down. Form follows function. The slightly lean, yet still feminine look that many women are shooting for is a strong look. Get strong and look strong.

I posted this on my blog earlier today and there wasn't a lot of comments. Which is fine... but I hope women weren't turned off or scared by what they saw in the video.

And of the comments I did get on my profile... a common theme was "I lift weight but nowhere near that heavy." Please don't miss the forest for the trees. This isn't about lifting that much weight. Don't compare where you are are to where the women in the video are. They've built that strength over a lot of years are dedicated and hard work.

The important thing is to start at a point that's appropriate for you... no matter how light that might be. And then, after you start... the next step is to focus on getting stronger over time.

Just some random thoughts.

Stay strong,

Steve
  • creasonr
    Options
    I have found that I am getting much stronger. However, strong women are not really in demand. I have also found that I like being stronger, it is very satisfying to be able to easily pick up something that I struggled with before. So therefore I tend to hide my strength so as not to offend people or invoke hurtful comments. I still like strength though and blogs like this are encouraging. Thank you!