Cheap (inexpensive) healthy/low cal foods?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    bumping to get more responses - hubby was just laid off :(
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you live near a Trader Joe's, you can save a TON of money on fresh fruits and vegetables (and also other snacky things)!

For example: My local grocery sells nonorganic Pink Lady apples (my favorite variety) for $2.99 a pound. Trader Joe's sells organic Pink Lady apples for $1.25 a pound. This is just one of many things that is much, much cheaper at TJ's.

If no Trader Joe's - definitely farmer's markets are a great idea! Fresh, local, and inexpensive - can't beat that!
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Go for in season. Also the price isn't all that bad if you aren't ALSO buying the unhealthy crap. Oh and frozen stuff, check ingredients and beware if additives. Good luck
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Also I would check into alternative, ethnic grocery stores or discount grocery stores. The local Mexican grocery store often has produce for way WAY less than bigger grocery chains (i.e. Safeway/Vons, SavMart, etc). I'm talking at sometimes 25% of the price they're charging.

Look for non-packaged veggies (i.e. whole bundle of celery versus just the hearts, whole apples, whole head of lettece, etc). I think packaged foods are often more expensive than healthy foods, in my experience. Eat what's in season (tends to be on sale), shop around - in short, it takes effort to look into these things. Go to the store with a plan/list and don't get derailed by things off the list.

Best of luck!